Thread: Is there a reference guide for video resolution, bandwidth and simultaneous Clients?

Is there a reference guide for video resolution, bandwidth and simultaneous Clients?

Hi Team,

I would like to suggest our clients using Media DS as a local streaming server.
    but, I cannot find guides or documents according to the resolution, amount of Bandwidth and simultaneous access clients.

Media DS is configured to stream HD-SDI input signals, not NDI signals, to the local network according to the resolution below for network separation.
    Is there a reference guide for video resolution, bandwidth and simultaneous access clients per one Media DS?

List of local streaming resolution options informations.
    -1080p @60fps 6,500kbps: Maximum number of concurrent clients (???), Recommended number of concurrent clients (???)
    -1080p @30fps 4,500kbps: Maximum number of concurrent clients (???), Recommended number of concurrent clients (???)
    -720p @60fps 4,000kbps: Maximum number of concurrent clients (???), Recommended number of concurrent clients (???)
    -720p @30fps 2,500kbps: Maximum number of concurrent clients (???), Recommended number of concurrent clients (???)

Thanks
    Steve Cho

I typically figure that 800mbits of bandwidth is a safe high number to get out of a Gigibit ethernet interface, which gives you room for protocol overhead and other factors.

Using that as the maximum and your values.

-1080p @60fps 6,500kbps: Maximum number of concurrent clients 123
    -1080p @30fps 4,500kbps: Maximum number of concurrent clients 177
    -720p @60fps 4,000kbps: Maximum number of concurrent clients 200
    -720p @30fps 2,500kbps: Maximum number of concurrent clients 320

720p @ 30fps can probably be lower than that value if it is mostly talking heads for the production, probably about 1,500kps, which would get you over 500 users.

This are also maximum between all four encoding channels on the MediaDS, (not that number of users per channel).
    Kane Peterson
    Solutions Architect
    NewTek, Inc.

Thanks Kane,

Steve Cho
    Steve Cho
    Technical Director
    Beworks Media Inc.

TriCaster 410 Plus 7-3-200515

Does this mean by using both Ethernet ports I can double these numbers?
    -Jeff

My TriCaster Blog
    TriCaster Tally Lights

Gear Used: TC1, NC1 I/O, TC 460, TC Mini 4k.

This is not gospel (i.e., I'm not making an official claim or recommendation here), but I clearly recall when we were first developing MDS the Wowza guys telling me that upwards of 900 viewers should not be a problem.
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator
    ("You've got to ask yourself one question ... 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, spammer?")

That's fine, the school is big but I don't think they have 1000 classrooms! I used plenty of 'under ideal circumstances', 'in theory' and 'depending on the program material' weasel words.

Quote Originally Posted by jcupp View Post
    ! I used plenty of ... weasel words.
    Whereas I, having spent way too much time with lawyers, added a formal caveat.
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator
    ("You've got to ask yourself one question ... 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, spammer?")