Thread: Bug reporting

Bug reporting

Not sure who's on the other end of the LW bug reporting system but they're rather snippy. You'd think they could add a box and follow the simple instructions in the bug report. But alas I guess not. And if they can't and would like a cube in a scene with the settings that cause the issue - at least ask nicely.
    Tim Parsons
    Technical Designer
    Sauder Woodworking Co.

http://www.sauder.com

Yeah, I got that, too, when I submitted the requirement of content for bugs that don't have any as a bug... like missing documentation in the Python SDK. Come to think about, I think I reported that early in the 2018 cycle, and it was allowed for bugs that don't have content.

I'm beginning to see a disturbing trend here...
    --------
    My Scripts for Lightwave
    Intel Core i7 960 @3.20 Ghz, 24 GB ram, EVGA 6GB GTX980Ti "Classified" driving 2 x HP LA2405.

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Parsons View Post
    Not sure who's on the other end of the LW bug reporting system but they're rather snippy. You'd think they could add a box and follow the simple instructions in the bug report. But alas I guess not. And if they can't and would like a cube in a scene with the settings that cause the issue - at least ask nicely.
    You were likely dealing with Deuce.
    Threadripper 2990WX, X399 MSI MEG Creation, 64GB 2400Mhz RAM, GTX 1070 Ti 8GB

https://www.dynamicrenderings.com/

I submitted a bug report yesterday and had a decent interaction, with a full resolution/response within an hour. Remember that you're submitting reports to other humans who may have just wasted hours on other reports with insufficient information.

Part of the reason a dev may ask for you to submit a scene file is so that they can actually see what your unique installation is producing. They could go through identical steps on their end to produce a similar LWS file. Then they can run those two text-based LWS files through a diff tool to see if anything is extraordinary.

LW is not like AutoD products that phone home every detail...from installed plugins to the color of the shirt you're wearing. The more you can submit in a bug report, the better.
    LW4, 7.5D, 2015, 2018, 2019, 2020 running portably on a USB drive on an Amiga 2500 running Wine.

I get that but maybe a little more professionalism is in order. And maybe they're suffering from a little bit of quarantine fatigue like others are. So that's understandable too.
    Last edited by Tim Parsons; 06-26-2020 at 03:27 PM.
    Tim Parsons
    Technical Designer
    Sauder Woodworking Co.

http://www.sauder.com