Thread: DHCP issues on mini 4k - problem with Dante virtual soundcard using the wrong IP

DHCP issues on mini 4k - problem with Dante virtual soundcard using the wrong IP

Hi all

Thanks in advance for help/tips. Here's the short version of what's happening.

Have a Tricaster mini 4k connected to ubiquiti switches. DHCP served from a Windows server. The Tricaster isn't seeing the DHCP "fast enough" at boot and thus is starting its own DHCP server and putting a 172.x address on the nic. Eventually the DHCP server is found and a local 192.x address is allocated. It all works to see the NDI cameras etc. but the problem is with the Dante virtual soundcard. When I choose the ethernet interface it binds to the 172.x address instead of the 192.x address and therefore the Dante controller (b/c Dante has to be on the same subnet) can't make a connection to the Tricaster.

I can reproduce the problem with different switches, too. Have tried creating a static on the Mini but that too doesn't work - the DHCP server on the tricaster still starts up. Support tells me there is no way to kill or disable the Tricaster DHCP.

Q for this group - have you seen this before and how did you work around it? Is there a way to force the Dante virtual soundcard to bind to the 192.x address on the nic when 2 addresses are present?

Thanks much for your help. Been pulling my hair out over this one!

Tricaster 460 Advanced Edition 2, Tricaster 40 V1
    2 Sony PXW-X70 Cameras, 2 Panasonic AG-HMC40P Cameras
    VSE 2.5 - VSE Advanced Edition, A bunch of Doo-Dads and cables

Another solution that I think would work is to put a static IP address on the interface with Dante (in the correct range you need). Then the Mini's DHCP server should not bind to that port.
    Kane Peterson
    Solutions Architect
    NewTek, Inc.

Thanks, all. I have tried created a static on the nic like the Harvard example and for us that isn't working. I'll give a try to the DHCP-snooping technique. Thanks.

That DHCP feature is so crappy..... could cause many problems in many different situations. Already sent requests to Newtek, at least to provide a way to desactivate it.

Seriously, what an idea.....

I've put in a request for controls on it as well. I don't think that you want it completely deactivated, but the ability to choose which NIC ports it binds to. That way you can have some ports used for easy direct connect of NDI devices.
    Kane Peterson
    Solutions Architect
    NewTek, Inc.

I second that feature request, Kane.

Thanks