Thread: Weight Map Wrangling

Weight Map Wrangling

Decided to start a new thread & even though this is related to a couple others I have going, this is more specific to working with Weight Maps.

I thought I'd try another model, thinking it would be simpler. T'was wrong to some degree, but it did give me some more clues and I hope better examples for what I'm trying to find a better workflow.

Quick synopsis: I'm taking characters from Daz that have been "furred" using LAMH (Look At My Hair), a tool that uses Rman curves for shaping, but once those are converted to geometry, the pose is frozen in that the fur can't follow the figure. Exported via FBX, the character will have it's rig and weight mapping. The Fur geom won't.

Once imported into Layout, I'm able to transfer the weight info to the fur using 3rdPowers Paint Weights. The squirrel's fur has nine fur layers in sections. When the wts get transferred, an items file size balloons ~ 20X. Layout has issues if an item is too large, but fine it the same amount is split up. Go figure.

What I've been doing is selecting each Fur item separately, then using the Transfer Weights function & the base object to transfer All Weights. Not sure if that's the best method (using the rig wasn't working), but it does get me ~98.6% of the way there. I'm just not sure of the best methodology from here. That and mostly just learning the finesses of the new tools probably.

Since I was ONLY able to see these problem polys in Layout when the figure was posed, I hit upon the scheme of Saving an Endomorph to the object then in Modeler I could enable that morph & see, & now more importantly actually select the problem polys.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ack!Me_120_006.png 
Views:	23 
Size:	338.1 KB 
ID:	148223 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ack!Me_024_006.png 
Views:	20 
Size:	387.4 KB 
ID:	148224 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ack!Me_080_002.png 
Views:	23 
Size:	390.1 KB 
ID:	148225

Problem was still finding the wts. involved, & then setting their value correctly. Seemed it should be logical, but that's been eluding me & very akin to Whack-a-Mole. The process is pretty time intensive too.

Name:	Ack!Me_080_010.png 
Views:	18 
Size:	141.0 KB 
ID:	148226 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ack!Me_080_008.png 
Views:	16 
Size:	142.1 KB 
ID:	148227

Back in Layout, I then tried Paint Weights again and on the simpler hands area that worked well as they were isolated enough I guess. But on the Groin area, I've no idea how to sort these to paint.

Name:	Ack!Me_024_005.png 
Views:	29 
Size:	1.44 MB 
ID:	148228 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ack!Me_024_003.png 
Views:	26 
Size:	680.7 KB 
ID:	148229

Suggestions?
    "Never be a cat in a cartoon. Never." Chief Wiggum

The Big Apexx System:
    AMD RYZEN THREADRIPPER 2990WX Processor (3.00GHz)
    64GB DDR4-2666
    2x NVIDIA Quadro RTX 4000 8GB 32 Core (64 cores avail)

Hi Ma3rk,

When using the Transfer Weights command, you have to keep in mind that multiple bone weights may be applied to the vertices of a single fiber mesh.

Attached below is an image to help you understand the problem.

Name:	fibermeshes.gif 
Views:	32 
Size:	411.0 KB 
ID:	148242

They look like fibers, but once they leave the fiber tool, they are no longer fibers but just polygon meshes. If we try to solve this problem, it will be necessary to add a new dedicated method for fur, not tricky tips.

I recommend finishing the work with tools specialized for fur creation, like FiberFX, but if you would like a certain kind of Challenge, please tell us([email protected]) what OS you are running it on and the version number of the OS.

Thank you,
    3rd Powers Support
    --------------------------------------------------------
    Email: [email protected]

Yes, that is correct in you illustration & that the fur is strings of polymesh.

I'll work up the details & send you a bit later today then.

The Big Apexx System:
    64GB DDR4-2666

... in the meantime...

It isn't an elegant solution by any means, but I was able to slog through with a combination of steps & finally could see results.

The "Chewing gum on the paws" I was able to fix directly with Paint Weights. An actual thrill to see them snap back to where they were supposed to be.

The other areas I simply couldn't use it there. No way to isolate the obvious polys & too much "innocent bystander" geom that gets painted as well. So, I resorted back to the Save Endomorph technique & Saved the item & opened it in Modeler.

With the Morph ON, I could select the affected polys then cut & paste into a new layer. I'd then toggle the morph on/off to find the worst case representative then copy just that poly into another layer. The reason for that is that if I use the Show Weights tool, even with all other geom hidden, ya get this:

Name:	ShowWts.jpg 
Size:	425.9 KB 
ID:	148246

Maybe Sensei has a better method.

Anyway, through a series of clearing one map & re-assigning best guess at value & which if multiple weights, I finally got all points behaving. A big plus on that was discovering that a Ctrl Click on the arrow next to Weight in the Point Info, that will open them all up. Still can't multiply select, but now I can semi-easliy find what has other than 0% values.

Gee, wouldn't it be nice if the + values would show as a color, like they do in another panel not to mention Weight Shade mode? I know, crazy talk again.

Name:	Ack!Me_090_004.png 
Size:	1.14 MB 
ID:	148247 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ack!Me_090_009.png 
Size:	158.4 KB 
ID:	148248 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ack!Me_090_011.png 
Views:	19 
Size:	1,020.1 KB 
ID:	148249

Name:	Ack!Me_040_008.png 
Views:	12 
Size:	585.8 KB 
ID:	148250 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ack!Me_001_001.png 
Views:	11 
Size:	340.8 KB 
ID:	148251

Think I've enough to go on now to go fix the TuxCat fur.

The Big Apexx System:
    64GB DDR4-2666