Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Longevity of Lightwave, Worried about future investment in program

Quote Originally Posted by hypersuperduper View Post
    I have also been happy with the 2018+ lightwave versions, but the road has clearly been rocky, and the lightwave that we have now is a significantly less ambitious product than ten years ago. there are now fewer users, fewer plugins and much of the exciting new stuff from a decade ago is abandonware now (chronosculpt, nevron motion, and now most likely Genoma) Hopefully the corner has been turned however and things will continue to improve going forward.
    Yeah - I've used Chronosculpt on all my Bullet sims and it works really nice for that, but I see so many possibilities with it that will never materialize - like being able to save out a .lwo. They need new blood and to get new blood the UI needs to be updated first and foremost. Secondly Modeler performance needs to be addressed - even as a destructive modeler, it would be just fantastic if it worked more like Modo. Modo is the second incarnation of Modeler so just copy it. (the modeling aspects of it - the rest is crap) And while they are at it, add a few modeling tools in Layout - not everything, but what makes sense to have in there.

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Parsons View Post
    Modo is the second incarnation of Modeler so just copy it. (the modeling aspects of it - the rest is crap)
    The Modo render engine is up there with the best of them but I hate that shader tree! I understand it and used it in production on large projects years ago but still hate it. It would be nice to see a big update to modeler in the next release with more Modo like tools but I don't think I'm going to hold my breath.
    Threadripper 2990WX, X399 MSI MEG Creation, 64GB 2400Mhz RAM, GTX 1070 Ti 8GB

https://www.dynamicrenderings.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Nicolas Jordan View Post
    The Modo render engine is up there with the best of them but I hate that shader tree!
    I'm guessing this was before they fleshed out the nodal surfacing?

What was it specifically that bothered you the most about the shader tree?
    Last edited by jwiede; 06-27-2020 at 06:56 PM.
    John W.
    LW2015.3UB/2019.1.5 on MacPro(12C/24T/10.13.6),64GB RAM, NV 980ti

Quote Originally Posted by jwiede View Post
    I'm guessing this was before they fleshed out the nodal surfacing?

What was it specifically that bothered you the most about the shader tree?
    I found that it became hard to keep organized in large scenes that had lots of materials, textures and objects. Some issues can arise from imported or dragging objects from one scene into another. I guess it's the lack of rigidity in it's design that is both it's great strength and also it's weakness. I always found myself having to manually reorganize it. I think it works great for smaller scenes that have less materials. My experiences came from using 601, 701, 801 in production so maybe there have been improvements since then. I haven't tried out the nodal system in it yet so maybe that will be more to my liking.

The Modo render engine is up there with the best of them but I hate that shader tree! I understand it and used it in production on large projects years ago but still hate it. It would be nice to see a big update to modeler in the next release with more Modo like tools but I don't think I'm going to hold my breath.
    Yep from what I've seen from the Modo render I'd have to agree, although I've never rendered anything with it due to the issues I had with the Shader Tree. I stopped upgrading at 601, and to be honest I rarely open Modo anymore. Maybe for the occasional UV unwrap, but even so with the advent ABF UV unrwap in Lightwave, I hardly do that anymore either. I wish I had all that money back I sunk into Modo all those years. I do simple interior and furniture shots and don't require much in the way of a lot of the features in a 3D app and certainly not much in the way of animation. I love the way Lightwaves cameras and lights work. The renderer is fantastic - if a little so. VPR is great and setting up materials is easy, if not a little clicky. And Modeler is - well, Modeler. It gets the job done.

Here's my website so you can see what I do: https://timparsons3dstudio.weebly.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Parsons View Post
    Yep from what I've seen from the Modo render I'd have to agree, although I've never rendered anything with it due to the issues I had with the Shader Tree. I stopped upgrading at 601, and to be honest I rarely open Modo anymore. Maybe for the occasional UV unwrap, but even so with the advent ABF UV unrwap in Lightwave, I hardly do that anymore either. I wish I had all that money back I sunk into Modo all those years. I do simple interior and furniture shots and don't require much in the way of a lot of the features in a 3D app and certainly not much in the way of animation. I love the way Lightwaves cameras and lights work. The renderer is fantastic - if a little so. VPR is great and setting up materials is easy, if not a little clicky. And Modeler is - well, Modeler. It gets the job done.

Here's my website so you can see what I do: https://timparsons3dstudio.weebly.com/
    That's some pretty nice looking work you have there!

Regarding Modo I used to work with a guy who knew way more about Modo than I did so I learned all the ins and outs of the shader tree fairly quickly and whenever I ran into a problem I could get help with it right away so it was fairly easy for me to learn that way. I like the concept since it mimics the Lightwave layering system at it's most basic conceptual level but in practice doesn't really line up with my way of thinking very well.

That's some pretty nice looking work you have there!

Regarding Modo I used to work with a guy who knew way more about Modo than I did so I learned all the ins and outs of the shader tree fairly quickly and whenever I ran into a problem I could get help with it right away so it was fairly easy for me to learn that way. I like the concept since it mimics the Lightwave layering system at it's most basic conceptual level but in practice doesn't really line up with my way of thinking very well.
    Thanks. The Modo shader tree was extremely buggy in its early days. So buggy in fact that it was hard to figure it out - you never knew if it was a bug or user error. But I followed step by step instructions and it didn't do what it was supposed to and then it would crash. In the end it was just too painful to go on with it any further. I downloaded the new trial recently and was blown away by all the stuff it has now. When all I do is build a room, a few pieces of furniture, some props and setup a couple lights and a camera - all that other stuff is overkill.

Quote Originally Posted by Signal to Noise View Post
    I'll bite.

... Houdini modeller still lacks compared to other software, incl. LW, but I can actually get by with it. Houdini w/ Mantra (I also use Renderman) can be a very good "end to end" solution for a small company methinks. So you don't have to fall to the Autodesk demons.
    Check out Modeler 2020.1 https://vimeo.com/412027905
    Gary Chike

Quote Originally Posted by hrgiger View Post
    Blender is the most complete end to end solution out there and it's free.
    It appears to have decent sculpting but isn't it a bit lacking in it's 3D painting abilities compared to other programs like Modo? I consider both good painting and sculpting essential in an end to end solution.

Lightwave layering system...
    Yes, the LightWave texturing and shading - both layers and nodal - are great to use. That's definitively one of LW's strengths (at least for me).

Lightwave’s nodal solutions are pretty good across the board in my opinion. They may lack some finess and could use better documentation, but they are powerful, flexible, and reasonably simple. As for longevity I see it as a good sign that the nodal systems appear to get a relatively large share of the development effort with every release.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12