Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2020 choppy XY / ZY / XZ viewport pan

2020 choppy XY / ZY / XZ viewport pan

Just had to go back and double check that I wasn't going crazy.

Viewports are butter smooth on 2019.1.5 but on both 2020.0 and 2020.0.1 they are staggered and choppy on the XY / ZY / XZ viewport pan.

Still super smooth on perspective orbit, but you start panning the viewport around and it lurches around. Anyone else have this issue or know how to fix?

CPU: Ryzen 9 3950X
    RAM: 64GB
    GPU: Radeon VII (Driver 20.4.2)
    SSD
    Windows 10 Version 2004
    OS Build 19041.329
    Feature Experience Pack 120.2202.130.0

Are you speak about modeler or layout and where are OGL settings setup same in both ?
    RAM-Studio
    WS - Dual Xeon E5-2698v4/128GB/Win10x64/4xRTX 2080Ti
    My LWM Video Car Modeling Tutorial

Hey Lewis, thanks for replying! I notice it much more in Modeler than in Layout.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2020-06-26 08_54_35-Modeler NewTek LightWave 3DŽ 2020.0.1 (Win64).gif 
Views:	32 
Size:	14.0 KB 
ID:	148253

Set your geometry acceleration to Buffered VBO instead Streaming and it'll use GPU instead CPU for OGL and it'll be much much faster .
    RAM-Studio
    WS - Dual Xeon E5-2698v4/128GB/Win10x64/4xRTX 2080Ti
    My LWM Video Car Modeling Tutorial

Helps a little bit, but still not as smooth as the 2019 release, so strange!

Quote Originally Posted by Triodin View Post
    Helps a little bit, but still not as smooth as the 2019 release, so strange!
    They're generating more texture detail, it's unsurprising that would cost a bit of OGL framerate.
    John W.
    LW2015.3UB/2019.1.5 on MacPro(12C/24T/10.13.6),64GB RAM, NV 980ti

Thanks for the explanation of where that processing power is going @jwiede!

TrueArt Support
    A lot depends on implementation,
    and a lot depends on gfx drivers,
    and a lot depends on amount of geometry and textures.

If implementation/gfx drivers will make each viewport independent, then in quad mode, there is needed to send 4x as much data as in single viewport mode.

So, switch from quad viewport mode, to single one exclusively, and work this way for hours (in both LW 2019 and 2020), and let us know..

With how much geometry do you want to work with?

Get some software which will tell how much gfx card memory is free..

Buffered (VBO) will work reliably only if there is no "not enough gfx card memory" issues. Because if there is not enough gfx memory, driver/app will have to flush buffers from gfx card, to upload new one, and it will return to "traditional" speed..
    With quad viewport mode and/or simultaneously opened e.g. Layout, or other gfx memory hungry apps, it will have to flush and upload a lot of times e.g. after every mouse move in extremity..

Thank you Sensei, this is great information, I recorded this video to showcase the issue. I will go back and test your suggestions now:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z8DUWtByX5k

Changing it to Single brought it back to super smooth in 2020.0.1!

Will be a very different experience trying to work in a single view. It was still choppy as quad view or even two up view and expanding the view to fill the screen.

I am working with less than 5,000 polygons.

TrueArt Support
    Start > dxdiag and make screen-shots of what do you have on-board for a start..

Quote Originally Posted by Triodin View Post
    Changing it to Single brought it back to super smooth in 2020.0.1!

Will be a very different experience trying to work in a single view. It was still choppy as quad view or even two up view and expanding the view to fill the screen.

I am working with less than 5,000 polygons.
    Something odd's going on there, that graphics card has 16GB VRAM and (esp. combined with Ryzen 3950X and 64GB RAM) shouldn't be performing so poorly. It should also definitely should perform much faster with "Buffered VBO" than "Streaming" (might want 512x512 or even 1024x1024 for OGL texture setting in Modeler, might even perform better due to less TRAM churn).

Is there anything "exotic" about the surfacing setup on the object?

Do you have any sort of application-specific profile applied for 3D settings in the AMD Win gfx driver settings? What are the general 3D settings?
    Last edited by jwiede; 07-03-2020 at 01:42 PM.
    John W.
    LW2015.3UB/2019.1.5 on MacPro(12C/24T/10.13.6),64GB RAM, NV 980ti

That's what I thought as well @jwiede, the same thing happens with just a cube.

dxdiag attached. DxDiag.txt

Will track down my AMD graphics settings.

TrueArt Support
    I installed LW 2020.0.1 the first time on one my computer. The default Shading Method is PBRGLSLShaders. On your YouTube video it is GLSLShaders.
    How this happened? Did you change it on purpose from default value? Or you upgraded from 2020.0.. ?
    Configs were recreated during installation, or you copied it from older version?

Anyway, you should start from renaming
    C:\Users\[user name]\.NewTek\LightWave\2020.0.1
    to something else.
    Then restart Modeler to recreate configs from the scratch.
    This can help in many LW issues. Trash configs, try again. Remember for the future.

And don't use multiple versions of LW at the same time (like you did on YouTube video) !!
    This might cause problems (it used to in the past).
    LW tries to load .dlls .. and might use the one which is inappropriate, if different LW versions are running at the same time.
    Hub 2020 is not the same Hub app as in 2019 and older versions.

If you want/must to use older LW, shutdown the first one, quit Hub (right bottom tray-icon, RMB on it), then start other version.. And repeat this process, to go back to newer version. I always do it this way, to avoid issues.
    In the past LW versions there were a lot of troubles when you forgot to shutdown Hub and wanted to start LW with inappropriate version..

Closed all hubs.

Renamed user configs. Opened 2020.0.1 without 2019 running. Zero geometry, pan still stutters.

Default was GLSLShaders after rename.

Zero geometry loaded.

Changed to PBGLSLShaders, pan still stutters with quad view up, perspective orbit is smooth as butter.

So strange.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast