Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can My Tricaster Mini Inputs Pass Through 1080P NDI?

Can My Tricaster Mini Inputs Pass Through 1080P NDI?

So I know that my Tricaster MINI can take in a 1080p 59.94 FPS input. When those inputs come in to my MINI and become NDI sources, will that be at 1080p or will that be at 1080i since the MINI does not supports 1080p sessions?

My reason for asking is because I am considering using my MINI as an I/O unit in conjunction with other Tricasters and NDI capable switchers. The MINI would only be to bring in 4 HDMI signals and output 2.

Interesting, and I'm not really sure of the answer. I rather suspect Mini likely negotiates the source down to 1080i ... but am not 100% positive. The quickest thing might be to try it, and use Studio Monitor downstream to see what it receives.
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator
    ("You've got to ask yourself one question ... 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, spammer?")

I would suspect if it can truly bring in a 1080p59.94 input (I've never used a Mini HDMI) that the NDI feed will be 1080p59.94. The NDI feeds of the inputs bypass the switcher and all processing so it will be as it came in (unless the video IO in the Mini has scalers built in but I doubt this too).
    Central Control - MIDI Mapping, OSC and more for TriCaster - centralcontrol.io

Quote Originally Posted by joedemax View Post
    I would suspect if it can truly bring in a 1080p59.94 input (I've never used a Mini HDMI) that the NDI feed will be 1080p59.94. The NDI feeds of the inputs bypass the switcher and all processing so it will be as it came in (unless the video IO in the Mini has scalers built in but I doubt this too).
    Technically all the Tricasters have scalers built in via the software but my understanding is that the record aspect for NDI and pass through is meant to be a passthrough and would record/pass through as what came in. A quick test is the way to make sure though. I dont have a mini to test with.

I remain of the view that TriCaster will negotiate the sending device down to 1080i on connection. That's pretty much inherent to how HDMI operates ... but I'd be happy to be wrong.
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator
    ("You've got to ask yourself one question ... 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, spammer?")

Oh fun, now I am really curious how that works for NDI devices where you specify a resolution and if one viewer who can't handle the stream does it make the device lower the resolution for everyone? Outside of the high and low feed I don't think a BirdDog could send 2 different "program" feeds?

Quote Originally Posted by stp_productions View Post
    Oh fun, now I am really curious how that works for NDI devices where you specify a resolution and if one viewer who can't handle the stream does it make the device lower the resolution for everyone? Outside of the high and low feed I don't think a BirdDog could send 2 different "program" feeds?
    NDI sends out the native resolution of the source device. Since it is software, the destination device can scale the image down to what it needs. If you send 1080p59.94 to a Mini, it will recieve 1080p59.94, but since the Mini cannot operate at that video resolution it will be converted down to the session resolution.

The video IO hardware on the Mini HDMI maxes out at 1080p29.97/1080i (1.5G), it doesn't support '3G' resolutions like 1080p59.94.
    Kane Peterson
    Solutions Architect
    NewTek, Inc.

Ok, thanks Kane. I am surprised this questions has not come up yet.

By your last example if I were to also run 1080 in to the MINI but my Tricaster was in a 720 session it would also downscale it to 720 correct?

Quote Originally Posted by stp_productions View Post
    Technically all the Tricasters have scalers built in via the software but my understanding is that the record aspect for NDI and pass through is meant to be a passthrough and would record/pass through as what came in. A quick test is the way to make sure though. I dont have a mini to test with.

Yes indeed, but the scalers are part of the switcher portion of the software, which as you mention is entirely bypassed for the NDI feeds of the incoming sources.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Radio_TVPat1982 View Post
    Ok, thanks Kane. I am surprised this questions has not come up yet.

By your last example if I were to also run 1080 in to the MINI but my Tricaster was in a 720 session it would also downscale it to 720 correct?
    The NDI streams of the inputs would still be 1080, exactly as they came in (no proc camp, keying, virtual PTZ etc). The format conversion happens in the TriCaster's switcher.
    Central Control - MIDI Mapping, OSC and more for TriCaster - centralcontrol.io

I don't think NDI works the same way as HDMI. I connected a 1080P NDI source to a 720P session on a TC1. As expected, the Switcher scaled the source down to 720P, but a Studio Monitor connection to the same source remains at 1080P; and a file captured directly at the TC1 input is also 1080P. I do not believe this would be true for a 1080P8 HDMI source. (If I get a moment, I'll test it, but right now I need coffee!)
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator

I have my cameras and machine back on site today. I can test as well. What program are you guys using to confirm whether it is sending 1080i or 1080p down the NDI network?

Studio Monitor will show the resolution and Frame Rate in the title bar when you connect to a source.

So, here is an unexpected result. When I switch my camera over to 1800p from 1080i or 720P it will not even show up in the Tricaster at all. Looks like the input card wont even accept it to downscale it.

This does kind of throw a wrench it to my potential plans to use the MINI basically like a souped up version of a NCIO. I wanted to put it on site and have it pass 4 cameras to me in my truck and also send back up to two feeds on site. I planned to use fiber and have the truck and MINI connected via IP. I suppose I can still do this but I will be limited to 1080i or 720p.
    Last edited by Radio_TVPat1982; 06-22-2020 at 08:17 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Radio_TVPat1982 View Post
    So, here is an unexpected result. When I switch my camera over to 1800p from 1080i or 720P it will not even show up in the Tricaster at all. Looks like the input card wont even accept it to downscale it.

This does kind of throw a wrench it to my potential plans to use the MINI basically like a souped up version of a NCIO. I wanted to put it on site and have it pass 4 cameras to me in my truck and also send back up to two feeds on site. I planned to use fiber and have the truck and MINI connected via IP. I suppose I can still do this but I will be limited to 1080i or 720p.
    What is the camera? The Mini is a 1.5G device, a maximum of 1080p29.97. If you have set 1080p59.94 set in the camera, that is above what the Mini hardware is able to accept.
    Kane Peterson
    Solutions Architect
    NewTek, Inc.

Hmmm, it is a Canon XA20

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast