Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Off Topic - Realallusion usefull ?

Off Topic - Realallusion usefull ?

Is anybody here using the realallusion software (Iclone, Character Creator, Cartoon Animator) and like to give an opinion about the usefulness?

E.g.
    - Iclone: creating character animation to use in unreal or LW? Import objects made with LW?
    - Character Creator: Are there relevant advantages over DAZ Studio regarding harvesting characters to create custom ones?
    - Cartoon Animator: Not sure about this one. Should I better invest time in understanding Blender's Grease Pencil?

I am not sure if I should invest the time to try those out.

I just tried them out a few weeks ago. Short answer; not really helpful for LW use. Some slick tools but once something is brought into their pipeline, hard to bring it back out. They do use FBX, but considerably different than what you get out from Daz. Tried to get some info on their forum, and not a peep. I used all the trial exports trying to figure out what worked & never did.
    Earth can't be flat otherwise cats would have pushed everything off the edge!

The Big Apexx System:
    AMD RYZEN THREADRIPPER 2990WX Processor (3.00GHz)
    64GB
    2x NVIDIA Quadro RTX 4000 8GB 32 Core

Got a free version of Iclone a long time ago. Never really started since back then and now, the needed plugins are expensive, like 3Dxchange and others added up to $1000+.
    Maybe worth it for someone, but it looks like an expensive software package that has to be compared with other pro packages on the market now that they sell for $6000 (maybe 50% with coupon)

You can occasionally find offers to download their light/basic versions for free or very inexpensively. That's how I got my feet wet, originally with their CrazyTalk product.

The business model is based on charging for features and content. You need to purchase the most expensive "pipeline" versions to be able to shuffle your own content in a pipeline (such as moving 2D character elements from Photoshop PSD to Cartoon Animator or 3D FBX from Character Creator to LW).

I own the pipeline editions because of some special sale pricing a year or so ago...doubtful I would have ever purchased at full price. I was mostly interested in the 2D animation tools as a perpetual license alternative to Adobe CC animation tools. The software is currently gathering dust on my computer until I find an appropriate project.
    LW4, 7.5D, 2015, 2018, 2019, 2020 running portably on a USB drive.
    Active LW Development in 2020: DB&W | Deep FX | DPont | LWCAD | TrueArt | ...

I have iClone 7 with 3DXchange. I'm learning to use it as a mocap editor between iPi Mocap Studio and LightWave. Admittedly, I've been taking my time learning it but after my workstation crashed a few weeks ago and burned my old node-locked Motion Builder 2010 license, learning iClone suddenly moved up in priority on my To Do list. I've wanted to replace MB anyway so losing the MB activation has motivated me to make iClone work with LightWave ASAP.

So far, I'm only messing around inside iClone with stock assets but I'll try exchanging a character rig with anim between the three programs and let you know how it goes.

BTW, the total cost really isn't bad when they have their sales.

I just checked my receipt...looks like I've had iClone 7 with 3DX Pipeline for a lot longer than I thought. I got in on an early bird offer for $379 which also included Character Creator. Sigh! I'm embarrassed to say the receipt is from 2016. I guess I better learn this program before then next upgrade is announced.

The 2D animation suite I mentioned above was a different purchase I made from Reallusion last year, so never mind.

Quote Originally Posted by raymondtrace View Post
    ...I own the pipeline editions because of some special sale pricing a year or so ago...doubtful I would have ever purchased at full price. I was mostly interested in the 2D animation tools as a perpetual license alternative to Adobe CC animation tools. The software is currently gathering dust on my computer until I find an appropriate project.
    Yeah, I'm interested in Reallusion's Cartoon Animator too. At my workplace, I used Moho Pro 12.5 to rig and animate the 2D character segments in our Netflix shows, like Boss Baby, Puss-in-Boots, and The Croods for example. (Clips can be seen on my two DWA reels. FYI, there's quite a bit of LW on the reels too.) When it comes to rigging and animating 2D drawings, Moho's rigging system along with its Smart Bone Actions (dials and set driven keys for 2D cartoons) is pretty awesome.

Cartoon Animator's rigging system appears similar to Moho Pro and I want to try it out for comparison. Since Moho Pro was working out well for us, I probably wouldn't have bothered to get CA but Reallusion's super-low introductory sale last year made it too tempting to pass up.

Sigh! But just like with iClone and 3DX Pipeline, it's been hard finding time to learn CA. It's on the To Do list though.

DRG

P.S., I'm making some progress working down that list: yesterday I finished my website reboot. Now I can finally focus on creating new content for it.

I have iClone 7 with 3DXchange. I'm learning to use it as a mocap editor between iPi Mocap Studio and LightWave.
    isn't editing mocap in LightWave ok ?

regarding time, yeah, i know, too little time here too.  
    Last edited by erikals; 06-15-2020 at 05:11 PM.
    LW vidz   DPont donate   LW Facebook   IKBooster   My vidz

For me, Motion Builder had a lot more features than LightWave for re-targeting and editing motions. (Most notably, animation layers.) After editing, I saved out an FBX and used LightWave's Load From Scene Merge Only Motion Envelopes to slap it onto my LightWave rigs. Once I got the process figured out (with help from other LightWavers in this forum,) it's been a pretty smooth workflow.

However, for a variety of reasons, I've been wishing to replace Motion Builder (and now, with my recent computer crash, I have no choice.) iClone with 3DX has similar capabilities as MB and it's more affordable (with Reallusion's periodic sales) than switching to Autodesk.

Motion Builder had a lot more features than LightWave for re-targeting and editing motions. (Most notably, animation layers.)
    option >
    There is a new re-targeting plugin for LightWave
    There is also RHiggit Tools for editing motions

i'll have to put those on hold tho'
    lots of other work going on...  

I recently tried iClone for face creation and lip sync - their models and UI are odd. It *seems* powerful but not getting a lot out of it. I found the workflow far too cumbersome to use quickly. A very closed down suite of tools. They supposedly had a toon character creator set - but that was unavailable for trial - so I couldn't even see what the fbx output they supposedly do is.

and the lip sync and head creation are glossed over in their videos with no really good examples given. I'm finding it hard to believe this is used effectively in a pipeline or indie studio/individual artist - Sure seems like a daz clone for people who want to stay in their walled garden and buy stuff from their marketplace.

Support was either rude or abrupt - not helpful at all. Possibly a language issue? Anyway just seems like a very huge app that is meant to feed their marketplace for content.. at least that was my experience with it.

I was hoping I could import a face model and modify it in iClone... no luck there

the app/marketing seems cluttered, reminds me of Daz.
    it might be ok for this and that, but i decided to look for other options.

Another option for editing/mixing mocap is ikinema Web Animate. It was pretty cheap and easy to use.

That said, I found ikinema was also very limited compared to MB. I did a couple of tests with it back then but decided to stick with MB. I'm not 100% sure it's still available though (see below.)

I had a node-locked standalone license of ikinema that I purchased several years ago which is now probably another casualty of my workstation crash. But I'm not worried about losing ikinema unless my iPi Mocap Studio>iClone>LightWave workflow turns out to be a bust.

Another iPi Mocap Studio user used both iKinema and iClone for editing mocap to use in another 3D program, and he told me that iClone was more capable than the standalone iKinema but I guess that's reflected in the cost. (ikinema was really cheap.)

This morning, I learned from another iPi Mocap Studio user that Apple bought iKinema? If so, I'm not sure yet how that affects the program or availability.

As for doing it all inside LightWave, that would be my preference but, IMO, LW's mocap editing/mixing capabilities really are kinda limited by comparison. (Note: For now, I'm comparing to MB only because I'm still learning and testing iClone w/3DX Pipeline.)

Apple bought iKinema
    yepzi pepsi, in 2019   
    https://www.cnbc.com/2019/10/04/appl...e-company.html

LW's mocap editing/mixing capabilities really are kinda limited by comparison.
    LW is most limited when it comes to combining multiple mocap files i suppose ?

It should be noted that the big selling point for iClone isn't its mocap editing tools. iClone is a realtime animation, fx and rendering program. Basically, it's a game engine with a 'consumer' GUI.

For me, I was only interested in the mocap editing and i/o pipeline tools as a possible replacement for MB, but now that I've played around with it a bit, I kinda want to use it to create some 'cheap' 3D cartoons. TBH, I can't see it replacing LightWave for high-quality renders, but I think I can have some fun with this program. TBD.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast