Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Any Linux version in the making?

Any Linux version in the making?

Hello, the linux question rises again with the everlasting release of crippled Win 10 versions. Windows has become a very unprofessional OS, starting from the way It handles multi cores cpu and distributes the thread during rendering. Linux, which is still a free OS does a far better job and rendering with Corona on Linux shows a 200% speed increase and far better CPU multi cores use / distribution. Given that CPU speed is pretty much locked between 3 - 4 GZ for the last 15 years and that a multi core strategy became the way to increase cpu power, isn't microsoft attitude counter-productive?
    After seeing the latest problems and bugs with the May Win 10 update, and the way Microsoft new about those problems and didn't do a thing to correct them, Linux would definitely be a great alternative for professional users.
    So... any plan at Newtek to develop a Linux version of Lightwave?
    Any tip from users who installed It successfully using Wine?

thank you

LightWave discovery mode runs fine in Linux with Wine. LightWave licensing does not run in Linux.

I'd prefer a Linux option but I'm not understanding the issue with Windows. Can you offer specificity?
    LW4, 7.5D, 2015, 2018, 2019, 2020 running portably on a USB drive.
    Active LW Development in 2020: DB&W | Deep FX | DPont | LWCAD | TrueArt | ...

There are many issues, the first being the numa issue:

https://www.anandtech.com/show/15483...3990x-review/3

Win 10 cripples muti cores / thread performances. Linux doesn't.

Then there are the numerous updates problems that mess up with your computer and damage It's system. I had to completely block updates in Reg edit because some of my machines wouldn't boot anymore after the automatic update. Microsoft became careless about dealing with win 10 issues and fixing the problems. Insiders warned the developers about major issues but they didn't fix anything and pushed the may 2020 upgrade anyway for instance. The numa issue is known for a very long time but has never been fixed either. Like I said in my first message, what's the point to buy expensive multicore CPU if the OS is only going to use 50% of It? We need a professional OS targeted toward the 3d industry, not some gamer / playstore os. For a time I hoped that microsoft would make a streamlined version of windows targeted toward 3d / post prod professionals. That will never happen. Even Mac dumped their pro users to make more money with Iphones and Imac. I might be wrong ... but that's what It feels like.

It's about time a native Linux version was offered. It's the main reason I haven't upgraded to the latest version. I don't run windows anymore. I'll occasionally boot it just to run Lightwave but it gets to be more hassle than it's worth.
    Forum Tips
    If English is your first language, you should know it's 'losing' and not 'loosing'!

what about plugins?

Between 1-15% better rendering performance on the latest Intel 10 core 10900k and about the same on AMD 32 core 3970x on Linux vs Win 10 Pro. Either deal with backups and updates on Windows or deal with lack of software on Linux.

https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pa...ws-linux&num=2

https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pa...ws-linux&num=6

You can give MS your money for Win 10 Pro for workstations, if you have a quad cpu rig with more than 2TB RAM: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/p/wi...dw9s?source=lp

Quote Originally Posted by gar26lw View Post
    what about plugins?
    The same as driver updates for all your chips on the PC and all the small utility apps to tweak the PC, often missing...

Quote Originally Posted by gar26lw View Post
    what about plugins?
    Basic plugins appear to work in Linux with Wine but it is difficult to thoroughly test more advanced commercial plugins because of the lack of LightWave licensing support in Linux.

Quote Originally Posted by marchermitte View Post
    There are many issues...
    I am aware of the frequent "growing pains" with Windows 10 updates. I'm also aware that Linux has better processor support as a free system than the various paid levels of Windows 10 (Home/Pro/Ent/etc) that are required to make use of multi-core processors.

With the resources available for LW development, I would not imagine any native Linux LightWave release any time soon. Wine compatibility in regard to licensing would be a good first step but still not a definitive advantage over Windows. Running on Linux/Wine may benefit rendering but not every aspect of 3D design is better with Linux/Wine...

https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pa...04-win10&num=3

I would like to see a Linux version too. Meantime, there was a set of instructions for installing Lightwave dongle versions on Linux. I think it is possible to request to tie current versions of Lightwave to dongles (with any pros and cons of doing that), so I wonder if LW2020 could run on Linux if tied to a dongle and using the same instructions.

Wasn't "no" the answer?
    Robert Wilson, MA Deaf Ed.
    Indiana Deaf School
    This e-mail may contain information protected under the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act.

Quote Originally Posted by cagey5 View Post
    It's about time a native Linux version was offered. It's the main reason I haven't upgraded to the latest version. I don't run windows anymore. I'll occasionally boot it just to run Lightwave but it gets to be more hassle than it's worth.
    Same here. Moved to Linux, so no more Lightwave. If they did make a way to use it under wine, or even better, a native version, I would by instantly an upgrade. But for the moment it's the B&H combo for me.

Since hell just froze over, Microsoft is offering full Linux distros to be installed and updated via Windows 10. Running 3D accelerated apps should be available soon too, another option for Linux fans.

https://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2020/05/...ndows-10-wsl-2

Quote Originally Posted by TheLexx View Post
    ...Meantime, there was a set of instructions for installing Lightwave dongle versions on Linux...
    I'm a dongle user but never had success with that approach. The 64bit DEB files necessary to implement are not recoverable from archive.org and attempting to follow through with the source of most of it (Mozorov's USB patch) leads you to a repository that has not been updated for a while. None of this will likely work in modern Linux.

These recent Sentinel drivers for Linux might be a useful development. Maybe installing these at the system level will trickle down to Wine-enabled apps.

Quote Originally Posted by Free4Ever View Post
    Since hell just froze over...
    The only legitimate use of WSL I have seen is to use exclusive Linux tools to make Windows function better. I cannot imagine anyone going deep with this concept to generally run Linux systems/applications on top of Windows. It seems silly to have Windows as a dependency for another OS.

Not running on top, using hardware virtualization functions to run actual Linux at full speed. If anyone prefers dual 2 PCs or dual booting, fine. I would prefer the new upcoming method and get both Windows and Linux at once.

"Well, bizarre though the development may sound, it makes sense: WSL 2 uses a proper Linux kernel now, and the underlying WSL file system is accessible through the File Explorer. Adding support for launching and using full-fledged GUI apps like IDEs and text editors is the logical next step."

Quote Originally Posted by Free4Ever View Post
    Not running on top, using hardware virtualization functions to run actual Linux at full speed....
    It is indeed running on top. Windows, as the required base system, prevents any other system from running at "full speed".

The questionable security of the shared filesystems leaves Microsoft to specify "we do not recommend WSL for hosting production services".

Microsoft is just trying to address a problem that developers solved a long time ago, without needing Windows. It is a nice novelty but I'm still waiting for it to offer something to pull me away from the full featured, stable options we already have.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast