Thread: TriCaster TC1 - External Record Drive Specs

TriCaster TC1 - External Record Drive Specs

Hi there,

We are using LaCie LAC9000298 Rugged Mini 2TB external drives for recording. The drives are formatted exFAT.

When I record the "session" quality (XDCam 1080p) I get the error message: "Recording (MIX #) was delayed or interrupted. Recoding clock was reset, output file..." I can only record encoded H.264 mp4s to these drives. Any sessions record will cause this error.

The LaCie drives can write at 130 MB/s with USB 3.0. Is this not fast enough? And if so, what external drives can handle 2 feeds of XDCam 1080p quality?

Thanks,
    TD

Have you tested the long term write speed vs burst of that drive? Blackmagic and a few others have a nice app to test drive speed and you would want to make sure that the drives are able to write that speed consistently for long periods of time. Also make sure you plugged into one of the blue USB ports vs the grey ones which are just USB 1.0 I believe. I also recall one of the more recent versions showing that error more frequently for me but went away with the following updates.

Make sure drive is 7200RPM, this unit is only 5400RPM.

https://www.lacie.com/support/mobile...ed-mini/#specs
    Last edited by kanep; 06-15-2020 at 09:25 AM.
    Kane Peterson
    Solutions Architect
    NewTek, Inc.

Thanks STP and Kane. I will try with a 7200 RPM USB 3 drive.

I got a 7200RPM drive and recorded 2 video feeds to it. The TriCaster gave me a warning that 2 feeds are not recommended to 1 device. The records appear to be okay. Is it okay to record two feeds to a 7200RPM drive?

Thanks,
    TD

Two recording to a single drive should be fine and is what we recommend as a maximum. I'm only aware of the warning message if it is more than two feeds. Are you sure something else wasn't set to record to the drive? Otherwise it sounds like a mistaken error message.
    Kane Peterson
    Solutions Architect
    NewTek, Inc.

Hi Kane,

I'm using two Fantom 7200 RPM drives. When I record two streams to each drive, we see a warning message: It is not recommended to have more than two recordings in the same drive!

The records appear to be okay. Is this just a false error message that we can disregard?

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by TDSTA View Post
    Hi Kane,

I'm using two Fantom 7200 RPM drives. When I record two streams to each drive, we see a warning message: It is not recommended to have more than two recordings in the same drive!

The records appear to be okay. Is this just a false error message that we can disregard?

Thanks.
    I would verify that more than two recording were not targeted to the same drive. Otherwise, this doesn't mean it can't work, just not recommend. Empty drivers are faster then full drives and if you aren't also playing back media from a drive, it might handle more than two recordings. The message is just a safe recommendation that just about any drive should be able to handle two recordings without issue.
    Kane Peterson
    Solutions Architect
    NewTek, Inc.

Kane,

We have a show with several playback videos and the need to record on all inputs. Is it not recommended to record two feeds to the same drive that also has playback videos?

Thanks.