Thread: Fiber FX and depth of field

Fiber FX and depth of field

So I'm using Fiber FX and making a custom black and white fog pass for use in After Effects for a depth / fog pass. Is there any reason why the edges of my object are still out of focus? It should be totally in focus. The black and white is pretty solid as far as I can tell. Here's a snapshot of the wrong render. It should be totally in focus. Anyone come across this? Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Blur.jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	78.6 KB 
ID:	148123

Quote Originally Posted by mummyman View Post
    So I'm using Fiber FX and making a custom black and white fog pass for use in After Effects for a depth / fog pass. Is there any reason why the edges of my object are still out of focus? It should be totally in focus. The black and white is pretty solid as far as I can tell. Here's a snapshot of the wrong render. It should be totally in focus. Anyone come across this?
    Your methode does not produce a correct depth pass. In a depth pass the brightness of a pixel defines the distance from camera for the dof effect. Because your faked depth pass has anti aliased edges After Effect assumes a wrong distance for those pixels. If you use the depth pass for creating dof you should not use anti aliasing for the depth buffer. Also use exr floating point for saving.

ciao
    Thomas
    Web: www.dieleinwandhelden.com

I use two pieces of the three-piece application with mocap module.

Thank Thomas! I actually did get it working using a true depth / multilayer image. Thanks so much for the response.