Thread: NDI VirtualInput on Mac has only 720p video quality

NDI VirtualInput on Mac has only 720p video quality

Hi,

I have installed NDI VirtualInput (and the other NDI tools) on my iMac with MacOSX Catalina. I am using my iPhone 11 with the NDI HX Camera App.

When I use NDI VideoMonitor, I can see that the resolution is superb.

When I use VirtualInput, it scales down the video to 1280x720, how disappointing!

I am an online teacher, and I want to offer good video quality when I'm online, so I'd like to ask: Can I somehow adjust the video resolution that comes out of VirtualInput and goes into Zoom? Your support team said that there is currently no such feature on the Mac, only on Windows.

Best...
    Matthias

There is an option on Windows, but some VOIP software is limited to 720p, on Windows I do not recommend using above 720p for the webcam setting.
    Kane Peterson
    Solutions Architect
    NewTek, Inc.

That's O.K. but I use an iMac with OSX Catalina, not a Windows machine.

Could you please add an option to adjust the output resolution of NDI VirtualInput? I will then measure the CPU usage and use the best possible resolution that does not overload the CPU.

This would be great!

Hi,

is there any news on this? It is such a pain to not have this setting where the Windows users have it!

Best...
    Matthias

There have not been any updates to the Mac version of NDI Virtual Input.
    Kane Peterson
    Solutions Architect
    NewTek, Inc.

Quote Originally Posted by mattes3 View Post

I am an online teacher, and I want to offer good video quality when I'm online, so I'd like to ask: Can I somehow adjust the video resolution that comes out of VirtualInput and goes into Zoom? Your support team said that there is currently no such feature on the Mac, only on Windows.
    According to this Zoom KB, they will reformat video to 720p no matter the input resolution unless your account is specially provisioned.

https://support.zoom.us/hc/en-us/art...47086-Group-HD

If NDI *did* pass a higher resolution, Zoom would reformat to 720p. No matter the input resolution Zoom will reformat the output for students with less than high bandwidth connections. If Zoom sent 1080, only those with great bandwidth would see 1080. Those with poor connections would see <720p.