Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: threadripper builds

threadripper builds

about to pick up a 3970x

any opinions on motherboard, ram, cooling?

was gonna put in x2 2080ti’s as well + m.2 drives

if you have any recommendations, please say.

- Asrock Creator TRX40
    Reason: Affordable - good reputation compared with ASUS regading previous Threadripper versions (the previous Asus extreme boards were a disaster according to Overclock.net discussions).
    2 x PCIe X16 + 2 x PCIe x8 + 3 x m.2 via PCIe
    !0 Gbit network port (will be used to attach a NAS with 10 Gbit so I can use the NAS as project and ressource file source)
    Wlan included (even though I don't need it).
    Bluetooth included (even though I don't need it).
    No Thunderbolt (but I don't need it anyway).

- 3960x (Ryzen Master Software auto Overclock active): With LW render at full load all cores are ususally @ 4175 MHz - temp is usually below 70 degree C even if render takes hours. Fans and pump are running at around 40% - so, enough headroom)
    Reason: Affordable compared to the higher end Threadrippers. Better than anything from Intel.

- 1 x RTX 2080 Ti
    Reason: Affordable compared to Titan but at least 12 GB vram
    (waiting for Ampere - will maybe replace with two of them or add one Ampere card if possible)

- 1 x Quadro 4000:
    Reason: Wanted a card with full 10 bit output for display - But mistake. Did not know that GTX version today also have full 10 bit. So, would not buy it again as GTX have it already.

- Ram: G.Skill Trident Z RGB DIMM Kit 64GB, DDR4-3200, CL14-14-14-34 (F4-3200C14Q-64GTZR)
    Reason: Considered one of the best brands and Kits for Threadripper builds.
    Status in my machine: With latest Asrock Bios I just loaded XMP profile and Ram is running at advertized speeds (64 GB running at 3200 fully stable in MemTestPro was considered a miracle not to long ago).

- Storage: 512 GB Samsung 970 PRO m.2 (OS), 250 GB SSD Samsung 970 Evo Plus m.2 (Scratch and temp disk), 500 GB SSD 970 Evo Plus m.2 (Ressources), 1 TB Samsung SSD 860 Pro SATA (Storage)
    Reason: Very good experience with Samsung SSDs over many years in a company. Good reviews. Good deals from time to time.

- PSU: Corsair AX 1600i
    Reason: Considered the best PSU available for HEDT. Got a good deal (this PSU is very expensive, without the deal I would not have bought it).

- Watercooling (CPU / RTX 2080 TI) -Components mostly EKWB:
    Reason: Good experience with support (I called them and real company employees picked up and solved whatever there was - mostly delivery and order details - I had no technical issues). It seems to be fashionable to bash EKWB in some forums, but whatever I got from them was good.

- Radiator Alphacool:
    Reason: I wanted X-flow type (in one side - out on the other). Not much choise, so I ordered what was in stock at that time.

- CPU cooler XSPC Raystorm:
    Reason: I liked the design and reviews were ok.

- Case Phanteks Luxe 2:
    Reason: Design and size (did not want to break my fingers trying to build in a tiny case)
    But: Clearance for cables on the backside of the case is limited. Not sure If I would buy this case again.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Threadripper-System.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	2.12 MB 
ID:	148034

It was a long term project so I bought whenever I found a deal.
    Last edited by madno; 06-03-2020 at 03:27 AM.

ok thanks,

ATM, before reading your post I had specced:

• AMD Threadripper 3970X 3.7 GHz 32-Core Processor
    • Noctua NH-U14S TR4-SP3 82.52 CFM CPU Cooler
    • ASRock TRX40 Creator ATX sTRX4 Motherboard
    • G.Skill Trident Z Neo 128 GB (4 x 32 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory
    • Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive
    • Western Digital Purple 10 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
    • Nvidia GeForce RTX 2080 Ti Founders Edition
    • Fractal Design Define 7 XL ATX Full Tower Case
    • Corsair 1600 W 80+ Titanium Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply

I wondered if I could get away with the 1500W PSU as its a lot cheaper?
    From reading about Raid 0 with m.2, it seams x3 m.2 in raid 0 gives 9gb per sec performance but way less (3bg per sec) in x2 m.2 raid 0
    So I had considered that.

Any thoughts?

Should I go with water cooling? From what I read on rendering forums, the air cooled is quieter and performs well under sustained load.

I was considering the ASRock TRX40 Taichi ATX sTRX4 Motherboard instead, which has x3 slots instead of x4. What I wondered is if x4 gpu would matter compared to x3, if it would fit?

I saw this build and considered it as a guide, any thoughts? He used octane and c4d, best I could get as a comparison for usage : https://pcpartpicker.com/b/gcWD4D

I also wondered if the MSI Creator TRX40 was any better?

Case wise, I wondered if this was a good alternative to the Define 7 XL? : http://shorturl.at/auHO3
    Last edited by gar26lw; 06-03-2020 at 07:45 AM.

Water cooled is usually quieter and cooler than air, but more of a pain the rear for maintenance. With water your system will run faster as the threadripper series does auto overclocking at default settings so the bios will be able to push your system harder for longer with a water cooling setup.

PSU wise the 3970x draws at most 280 watts and the 2080Ti runs about 279 each max, Mechanical 3.5" HDDs ~9watts each, 2.5: HDDs ~3watts each, SSDs ~3watts each, water pump depends so guestimate 20watts. So you'll need at least 884 watts (I did 280x3 for cpu and GPUs) + 20% = 1060.8 watt PSU. So I'd say you'd be fine with a 1500watt PSU. Remember most PSUs are usually most efficient at 70%-80% max rating. Most things won't push your system to max but I always plan for max usage when picking a PSU because it's always better to be over provisioned slightly than under when you need it because under provisioned always causes instability (usually in the form of why does only this cause the system to crash/reset/etc or now I am having issues and I only added another drive or something to the system).
    Last edited by Lito; 06-03-2020 at 08:39 AM.

yeah, I did a test in a dell precision 7910 tower with a 1300w psu with dual 2080ti's and it would fall over when rendering. Assumed PSU related?
    Had x4 HD's. So I was concerned I might get the same issue?
    My hunch is the dell system sucks
    Last edited by gar26lw; 06-03-2020 at 09:42 AM.

Skip the dual 2080Ti and upgrade to 3990x
    The new Nvidia Ampere cards coming this fall will be a big upgrade over the current cards. Some details are already out with the server grade GA100 showing between 2x and 4x performance increases. Competition from AMD should help with the prices.

Quote Originally Posted by gar26lw View Post
    yeah, I did a test in a dell precision 7910 tower with a 1300w psu with dual 2080ti's and it would fall over when rendering. Assumed PSU related?
    Had x4 HD's. So I was concerned I might get the same issue?
    My hunch is the dell system sucks
    I have a Dell Precision 7810 Tower with a smaller 826w psu running a pair of E5-2680 cpus and an RTX2080 GPU. It is fine and doesn't fall over. However, I wouldn't want to drop another GPU in there. This is more to do with the less than wonderful airflow through the case than the PSU. The 7910 is not much larger than the 7810, so not a great improvement on cooling/airflow through it so while I wouldn't say it sucks...it does have its limitations
    Kevin F Stubbs

Remember...one size does NOT fit all

Quote Originally Posted by gar26lw View Post
    ok thanks,

ATM, before reading your post I had specced:

• AMD Threadripper 3970X 3.7 GHz 32-Core Processor
    • Noctua NH-U14S TR4-SP3 82.52 CFM CPU Cooler
    • ASRock TRX40 Creator ATX sTRX4 Motherboard
    • Fractal Design Define 7 XL ATX Full Tower Case
    • Corsair 1600 W 80+ Titanium Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply

I wondered if I could get away with the 1500W PSU as its a lot cheaper?
    From reading about Raid 0 with m.2, it seams x3 m.2 in raid 0 gives 9gb per sec performance but way less (3bg per sec) in x2 m.2 raid 0
    So I had considered that.

Any thoughts?

Should I go with water cooling? From what I read on rendering forums, the air cooled is quieter and performs well under sustained load.

I was considering the ASRock TRX40 Taichi ATX sTRX4 Motherboard instead, which has x3 slots instead of x4. What I wondered is if x4 gpu would matter compared to x3, if it would fit?

I saw this build and considered it as a guide, any thoughts? He used octane and c4d, best I could get as a comparison for usage : https://pcpartpicker.com/b/gcWD4D

I also wondered if the MSI Creator TRX40 was any better?

Case wise, I wondered if this was a good alternative to the Define 7 XL? : http://shorturl.at/auHO3
    pcpartpicker.com has a System Build guide, which does basic checks along the way, and also has a wattage estimator, giving you a minimum wattage amount for your configuration.

if using m.2 drives you might need to research the forums a bit as many motherboards drop the use of sata ports when you enable them, they can also reduce the pci lane speed (obviously impacting your GPU) often they set the speed of the drive at 50% to compensate, but funnily I fell across many forums this morning at asus discussing m.2 after I think my ssd might be on the way out, to be honest the forums were a little off putting with the amount of problems, sacrifices etc,
    Intel i9 7980xe, Asus Rampage Vi extreme, 2x NVIDIA GTX1070ti, 64GB DDR4 3200 corsair vengeance,
    http://digitawn.co.uk https://www.shapeways.com/shops/digi...ction=Cars&s=0

Quote Originally Posted by paulk View Post
    pcpartpicker.com has a System Build guide, which does basic checks along the way, and also has a wattage estimator, giving you a minimum wattage amount for your configuration.
    yes that’s what i have been using, it’s great. thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Qexit View Post
    I have a Dell Precision 7810 Tower with a smaller 826w psu running a pair of E5-2680 cpus and an RTX2080 GPU. It is fine and doesn't fall over. However, I wouldn't want to drop another GPU in there. This is more to do with the less than wonderful airflow through the case than the PSU. The 7910 is not much larger than the 7810, so not a great improvement on cooling/airflow through it so while I wouldn't say it sucks...it does have its limitations
    right, must be heat then. good to know, thanks

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by rustythe1 View Post
    if using m.2 drives you might need to research the forums a bit as many motherboards drop the use of sata ports when you enable them, they can also reduce the pci lane speed (obviously impacting your GPU) often they set the speed of the drive at 50% to compensate, but funnily I fell across many forums this morning at asus discussing m.2 after I think my ssd might be on the way out, to be honest the forums were a little off putting with the amount of problems, sacrifices etc,
    ah, ok. I will check a bit more into that and post back here if I find any issues, cheers

Quote Originally Posted by Free4Ever View Post
    Skip the dual 2080Ti and upgrade to 3990x
    The new Nvidia Ampere cards coming this fall will be a big upgrade over the current cards. Some details are already out with the server grade GA100 showing between 2x and 4x performance increases. Competition from AMD should help with the prices.
    Do you consider it worth it for the additional cpu power? I felt the 3970 was the sweet spot price/perf

Regarding:

1500 W PSU: Should be ok, but I would not go below that.

Water vs. air: Air is usually more noisy. I read (also in the benchmark thread). that a good CPU fan can do the trick (with no agressive overclocking). But in my case the GPU was the one that I wanted to water cool. In my old air system the GPUs ran into throttle limit when using GPU rendering. And, my old Dell was a hell of loud when under load. That was the other reason to go water for CPU also. But I don't know how loud or silent good cpu fans are compared to my old system.
    Building it was a challange (did it the first time) and expensive.

Raid: Not tried. But I will add a NAS for that anyway. Regadring speed of non raid m.2. It is blazingly fast even without Raid 1.

CPU: For Lightwave: the more cores the better ;-)

4 x PCIe: My plan was min. 2 x GPU for rendering, 1 x GPU for display. I wanted a fourth slot to be on the save side in case I need another PCIe card in the future. If your plans are not like that, you might not need four slots.

Quote Originally Posted by madno View Post
    Regarding:
    4 x PCIe: My plan was min. 2 x GPU for rendering, 1 x GPU for display. I wanted a fourth slot to be on the save side in case I need another PCIe card in the future. If your plans are not like that, you might not need four slots.
    yeah, same. I concluded x2 rendering x1 display.

Think I'm sold on Noctua NH-U14S TR4-SP3

https://youtu.be/nttKqzQiZEo
    Last edited by gar26lw; 06-04-2020 at 04:19 AM.

Think I'm sold of Noctua NH-U14S TR4-SP3
    I use it with 2 FANS for my 3990x on a Gigabyte DESIGNARE TRX40
    Ryzen Threadripper 3990X 64 Cores - 128Threads / 3 x GTX 2080 / Windows 10 x64 / 64 Go Ram / LW2020 & Softimage user

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast