Thread: NDI and Gig Network

NDI and Gig Network

How many video feeds can a full gig network handle? I am looking at 4 NDI cameras and using NDI to send video to a laptop and also a graphics feed form a laptop running Livetext.
    Common Gear Used:
    TriCaster: 40, 460, TC 1
    Time Warp TW42
    Cameras: Sony PXWX70, Newtek PTZ / HX
    Cable Solution:Coax HD_SDI & IP
    Newtek Spark HDMI
    Teradek Cube 105
    Chevy City Express Van

So 1 gig pipes are good for about 8 1080p connections at full resolution (TC1 has 2x 1gig connection for 16 channels). Part of the deal is that the Tricaster will pull the low res video for the multiview and only get the high res version when its on program to save bandwidth. Technically you have have "Unlimited" Sources available network, you only consume resources when you start consuming the feed. You wanna make sure you have a non blocking switch that has full bandwidth to all ports. 4k resolution will consume more bandwidth, 720p less etc.

Also multicast can help vs unicast if you have more than a few devices that need to share a video source.

Thanks for the info. I am looking to do High School Football 100% NDI this year. I will have 3 cameras and a graphics Laptop all running NDI I will also be sending an NDI feed to the schools video board. Does LiveText using NDi count as a full NDI stream as far as bandwidth use is concerned?
    Common Gear Used:
    TriCaster: 40, 460, TC 1
    Time Warp TW42
    Cameras: Sony PXWX70, Newtek PTZ / HX
    Cable Solution:Coax HD_SDI & IP
    Newtek Spark HDMI
    Teradek Cube 105
    Chevy City Express Van

It will depend on the complexity of the title page, but generally not as much. Typical overlays are largely transparent, so not much data to compress, and graphics usually are nowhere near as 'noisy' as live video, so again compression can be quite efficient.
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator
    ("You've got to ask yourself one question ... 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, spammer?")

Which models have " non blocking switch", how do we know what to look for when buying a switch?
    Sports, Corporate & Beyond
    Video Production San Francisco

Quote Originally Posted by TKF View Post
    Which models have " non blocking switch", how do we know what to look for when buying a switch?
    It is sometime labeled as non-blocking, some will give switch specs and you have to determine if there is enough total bandwidth based on the specs. Many (most?) new managed 1GbE switches today are non-blocking design.
    Kane Peterson
    Solutions Architect
    NewTek, Inc.