Thread: Iphone Shows in Virtual Input, but not in Studio Monitor

Iphone Shows in Virtual Input, but not in Studio Monitor

iPhone SE running iOS 13.5 and NDI HX Camera app displays in Virtual Input as IPHONE-SE>NDI HX Camera and is selected:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	NDI iPhone Virtual Input.png 
Views:	16 
Size:	8.1 KB 
ID:	148020

But in Studio Monitor, the input sources read None. In Zoom 5.0.4, selecting NewTek NDI Video displays only a black screen. Studio Monitor displays the test patterns with no problem. What am I missing?

I tried to follow the directions for Skype, but your Introduction to NDI is seriously out of date. Skype doesn't have a Tools menu, nor an Options submenu. Instead, I chose Settings. There is no Video Settings option, just Audio & Video, which I selected. There is no Webcam listing, so I chose Camera. On the Camera dropdown, I see only NewTek NDI Video, not NewTek Video Source. I still just got a black screen.

Have you considered a setup PDF for NDI Webcam users? We're a less savvy group than most of the people on this forum and mostly just need an easy way to use basic functions of the software.

Skype supports NDI output, but for NDI input you have to use NDI Virtual Input. It still not directly see NDI sources.

I just tried my iPhone with the NDI-HX Camera app into NDI Studio Monitor, I had no issues. Do you have another computer you can try, that would help to determine if it is a network or computer issue. Something else to check is if there is any 3rd party anti-virus or security software on the system, sometimes that software can interfere with NDI applications.
    Kane Peterson
    Solutions Architect
    NewTek, Inc.

I've had someone running into this issue commenting on my YouTube video for setting up NDI Virtual Input for Mac (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mo66FDI5nFA). I mentioned to them that they could try the Video Monitor to see if the NDI feed works in the Video Monitor program from NewTek. Apparently they could see their camera feed there, just not in their video conference software (in this case it's Zoom 5.0.4 which should be supporting virtual cam, but they are seeing a black screen). I'm assuming that whatever is causing this in Zoom is the same as what would cause it to not work in Skype (and by not work I mean cam shows up but is always a black screen).

I'm curious to figure out what is causing this issue. Post back and let us know if turning off security software helps at all. You should also make sure you double check your permissions as it's possible maybe something doesn't have rights to your camera when it should.

I have recently (in the last few days) used NDI HX Cam for iOS with Skype, Zoom, and Teams via Virtual Input without issue. (I can't connect more than one of these at a time, but that's expected.) This doesn't help solve the issue you're having. I'm assuming you have properly configured VI, mind you, as opposed to simply launching it.
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator
    ("You've got to ask yourself one question ... 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, spammer?")

"I'm assuming you have properly configured VI, mind you, as opposed to simply launching it." That arch comment goes right back to my original post. Setup is obvious to you, but not to me. I've read the "Introduction to NDI" PDF that is downloaded with NDI Tools. There is not a word in it about setting up Virtual Input. I watched all the NDI tutorial videos, but there is nothing about Virtual Input setup. A proper tutorial PDF is in order rather than snarky asides.
    I replaced my SSD, reinstalled Windows 10, turned off Windows Defender Security. Now in Virtual Input, I can see IPHONE-SE>NDI HX Camera. In Studio Monitor, I can also see a listing for IPHONE-SE>NDI HX Camera (this is the only new item since my last post). That listing is checked in both programs. I still just get a black screen. Setting Zoom to NewTek NDI Video turns off all video, including my virtual background.

I believe I correctly assumed that you had configured VI with the camera app as the selected source. You own assumption - evidenced by your choice of adjectives - about my intentions, however, is incorrect (I'll give you points for using "arch", though).

It's some time since I looked at the NDI Tools docs, so I can't really comment on what's in them or, more to the point, what isn't. It would not surprise me if the Skype details were a bit out of date, but it sounds like you located the correct settings anyway; and Zoom also failing to show your source suggests it's not simply an configuration issue in the conferencing app. For the record, I just now assigned the HX Camera app on my iPad to VI and can see its output in Skype, Zoom and Teams. I don't know if your issue could be some sort of version mismatch, or something else. Are you running the most recent version of NDI Tools? I'm not sure an older version can see this variant of HX.
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator
    ("You've got to ask yourself one question ... 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, spammer?")