Thread: LW2020 with GeForce series 8

LW2020 with GeForce series 8

Hi all,

I currently have a GeForce series 8 video card (GeForce 8400 GS), and noticed the minimum requirement is to have a GeForce series 9.
    Does anybody know if LW will work with series 8?

Hi,
    Can't you download demo and try ?
    RAM-Studio
    WS - Dual Xeon E5-2698v4/128GB/Win10x64/4xRTX 2080Ti
    My LWM Video Car Modeling Tutorial

Get the 30 day trial. No other way to know for your card.
    The Geforce 8400GS was sold in 3 different versions with 3 generations of GPUs: 8, 9 and 200 series. Your odds are good...

At a glance it appears to work. I will upgrade, in the meant time, do any of you use any Geforce series 9? if so what model numbers? I have an older mobo, not sure if newer cards would be of benefit (under win7 x64).

My GTX2xx has been retired for a long time.

There are old benchmarks of LW9.6, showing that newer cards are better.
    GTX670 scores better than the older GTX580 in the interactive benchmark (viewing 3D models in OpenGL preview).

https://www.anandtech.com/show/6968/...ation-review/3

You would also see benefits in other 3D software, even 2D video decoding/encoding will be faster and supporting newer formats. This fall both Nvidia and AMD will launch the next gen, prices on current cards will fall.

Another upgrade is a new CPU with integrated GPU. AMD will release the newest 8 core with decent GPU in July (lower price on current gen then).

https://www.notebookcheck.net/AMD-Ry....465693.0.html

I got an used PNY GeForce 9800 GT EE 1GB (on the way) for the time being. Will see about getting a newer one.
    One issue I have is that I am using an old motherboard (mainly because my VT card is installed too). I think the PCIE is version 1.

Even the newest Geforce RTX cards are compatible with PCI-express 1.0, as long as the correct slot is used (PCI-express and not older with different physical slot), it works.
    Lower bandwidth with 1.0 over 3.0, probably not an issue for most applications.

Apparently my 650W power supply is not up to the task to use the 9800 GT EE (black screen, pre BIOS post screen), it works on a different computer, just not the one I want that has the VT/LW3D/HD's, so I purchased a Gygabyte GeForce 1030 which arrives today, as it is reported to use less power.
    I would have purchased a power supply, except most outlets are out of them (850w) due to shelter-at-home.