Thread: Clip Map Quirk?

Clip Map Quirk?

Working on a hair object conversion today & went around & around trying to get it to look correct. Never had issues before so was puzzled, but I'm going to go back & recheck some things now.

Using Principled and having the usual maps including separate Transp & Clip, I tried all sorts of combos of using clip + Trans, Transp only, Clip only, Inverting, tongue poked out of the right corner of mouth 3/16" w/ upward curl & left eye squinted, nothing wanted to work. Triple checked UV name & assignment, & no errant polys in Modeler.

Not quite sure why other than it was staring at me unchecked (OK, 2nd glass of Cab maybe), I decided to try the Clip Map box in the main Surface Editor panel. As soon as I set that up, removing the Nodal Clip & adding to the same map as the nodal Clip Map, the hair then worked as it should.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Mabels Bad Hair Day.jpg 
Views:	76 
Size:	2.35 MB 
ID:	147946

Name:	Mabels Good Hair Day.jpg 
Views:	66 
Size:	2.35 MB 
ID:	147947

Why would a front panel clip map Clip correctly & a Nodal one won't? This is v2019.15. All maps are jpgs with the usual ones set to Linear & color to sRGB.
    Earth can't be flat otherwise cats would have pushed everything off the edge!

The Big Apexx System:
    AMD RYZEN THREADRIPPER 2990WX Processor (3.00GHz)
    64GB
    2x NVIDIA Quadro RTX 4000 8GB 32 Core

I have tried also through the nodes with no joy. The only time I get things like this to work is through clip map button.

It's ironic but Octane will work with opacity through the node input graph.
    'LW CAN IF YOU CAN BE ARSED TO TRY HARDER'

LW2020 - LWCAD - ODTOOLS 2019 - OCTANE V4

Found one issue. A couple of the maps were set to Default rather than Linear. When I group selected those maps, Color Space indicated Linear. When I check each individually, the truth was revealed.

The Big Apexx System:
    64GB

Actually it does work in the nodes if you use the clip surface input as well as the clip map button. I hadn't tried it in ages as I always used the clip map button for trees and stuff, LOL. I'd got used to that wokflow and hadn't tried it in a while. It will also use an embedded alpha in the diffuse which is cool.

I really liked the test renders

B
    Ben Vost - NewTek LightWave 3D development
    LightWave 3D Trial Edition
    AMD Threadripper 1950X, Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, 32GB RAM, nVidia GeForce GTX 1050Ti (4GB and 768 CUDA cores) and GTX 1080 (8GB and 2560 CUDA cores) driver version 430.86
    AMD FX8350 4.2 GHz, Windows 7 SP1 Home Premium 64-bit, 16GB RAM, nVidia GeForce GTX 1050Ti (416.34, 4GB and 768 CUDA cores)
    Dell Server, Windows 10 Pro, Intel Xeon E3-1220 @3.10 GHz, 8 GB RAM, Quadro K620
    Laptop with Intel i7, nVidia Quadro 2000Mw/ 2GB (377.83 and 192 CUDA cores), Windows 10 Professional 64-bit, 8GB RAM
    Mac Mini 2.26 GHz Core 2 Duo, 4 GB RAM, 10.10.3

Quote Originally Posted by Marty3DGuru View Post
    Actually it does work in the nodes if you use the clip surface input as well as the clip map button. I hadn't tried it in ages as I always used the clip map button for trees and stuff, LOL. I'd got used to that wokflow and hadn't tried it in a while. It will also use an embedded alpha in the diffuse which is cool.
    Seems a bit silly if ya have to use in in both places. But I've used it in nodes for some time so 'tis confusing.

The Big Apexx System:
    64GB

Quote Originally Posted by BeeVee View Post
    I really liked the test renders

B
    Thanks Ben. I've been trying to translate Iray into Principled & it's largely trial & error.

Here are a couple more of Mabel though ...

Name:	Mabel+Curlers_Fixed-R.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	694.6 KB 
ID:	147952

Name:	Mabel+Curlers_Fixed-L.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	764.6 KB 
ID:	147953

The Big Apexx System:
    64GB

Quote Originally Posted by Ma3rk View Post
    Seems a bit silly if ya have to use in in both places. But I've used it in nodes for some time so 'tis confusing.
    No you don't have to use it in both places, either or. I just never remembered having much luck through the nodes so just got used to the button, but the nodes works fine.

I'm still encountering anomalies in other models & it might be a combo of things actually.

In another thread that I haven't replied to yet, I just happened to acquire two dandelion items. With the first, I just can't get the fluffy version to look right. With the second I am, but there as still a lot of trail & error still, but the key factor was how different file types were getting interpreted for Color Space. With the model I was successful with, there were up to 3-4 different file types (jpg, png, bmp, tif) for one surface. Even so, I still had to adjust each individually for correct color space settings. Additionally, I had the maps in order to go Principled, and once I could set a couple things to Thin & Translucent, the petals popped.

With the problematic one, the maps are all jpgs & just 24-bit, so no possibility of the subtlety needed for feathery edges as with Linear.

I might try to see if I can "extract" some new trans maps. Scaling up helps some but...

Name:	ProblemDandy_CU.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	596.3 KB 
ID:	147994

Name:	DazDandyCUNu.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	654.5 KB 
ID:	147995

I'm mostly interested in these for instancing, not for any sort of CU use in which case both work.

But still, ...

The Big Apexx System:
    64GB

Great hair renders. How do you get the different styles etc? I struggle with fibre fx.

Those are getting exported from Daz. I am just starting to dabble making something from scratch using LAMH which is very similar to FiberFX.

The Big Apexx System:
    64GB