Thread: Best monitors for eye strain

Best monitors for eye strain

Working from over the last few weeks is really taking a tole on my eyes. What are the best monitors to eliminate eye strain and the pain?

Thanks

Wow. Hard to say. I've dual monitors & over 4 ft of screen space so issue is more of turning of head than eye strain focus problems. I also have to wear glasses, & I've got to say it's almost difficult to go back & use the single screen 17" laptop these days. I've read several complaints of 4K monitor users too about font sizes, etc., so that higher rez isn't necessarily the solution either. I went with the Viewsonic VG2753_H2, which is a dual pack of monitors without monitor stands, but uses this mount:

https://www.viewsonic.com/us/monitor...d-dma-002.html

So I've over 4' of screen width taking up less than 4" diam. mounting footprint on the desk.

Make sure your getting HDR compatible of course, which the VG2753's are. I'm sure there are different models now, but that's a good starting point for comparison.

I picked up their Colorbration tool too while I was at it.
    "Never be a cat in a cartoon. Never." Chief Wiggum

The Big Apexx System:
    AMD RYZEN THREADRIPPER 2990WX Processor (3.00GHz)
    64GB DDR4-2666
    2x NVIDIA Quadro RTX 4000 8GB 32 Core (64 cores avail)

Here is some background info about the issue and what you can do while waiting for the new monitor. https://www.eizoglobal.com/library/b...s_eye_fatigue/

Here is the most likely cause and the most important factor for a new monitor when focusing on eye comfort:
    https://www.displayninja.com/what-is...ee-technology/

Displayninja has good buying guides linked in the article.

https://www.displayninja.com/best-mo...r-office-work/

"Note that all monitors in this list have a flicker-free backlight (*except for the LG 43UD79) and an integrated low-blue light filter.

Therefore, you don’t have to worry about eye fatigue, headaches, and eye strain caused by looking at the screen for extended periods of time."

Bummer, the 43 4k monitor is not the best one for the eyes...

i use a program called "Gammy" to darken the monitor night-time.

daytime, > cover those windows.  
    LW vidz   DPont donate   LightWiki   RHiggit   IKBooster   My vidz

I use a 48" flatscreen Sony Bravia HDTV (KDL-48W600B) set in "Graphics Mode" in the TV's "Scene Select" for the PC's HDMI input (to reduce / eliminate latency) and I sit about 4' away from it. I have no interest in 4K real-estate, since I'm comfortable using the LW hotkeys to bring up and lower various panels (e.g. numeric, surface, graph editor, scene editor, etc.). The HDTV 1920 x 1080 resolution is fine for me at the 48" size, the screen pixels aren't distinguisable and the icons & text are BIG.

I do have a small secondary monitor (HP 25" flatscreen) that I use occasionally, must mostly when I want a full-screen render to examine in LW or Vegas.

The various applications I use seem to go for smaller and smaller control "widgets" - e.g. to fade video or audio in Sony Vegas I have to grab a MINISCULE handle on the tracks. The big-screen HDTV makes it easy, and I can now work for hours in LW, Vegas, a DAW (digital audio workstation), etc. with no eyestrain at all.

And yes, my home office has the windows covered (with double blinds) to reduce screen glare.

As always, just my opinion.

mTp
    Last edited by MonroePoteet; 05-24-2020 at 06:55 AM. Reason: "Graphics" mode, not "Animation" mode

I use some led lights' strings in the back of my EIZO monitors while not color correcting to have some light bounce off the wall.

I also change the brightness of the monitors (have presets on the monitors themselves, but can be done manually) depending on the surrounding light.

Position of the monitors correctly in height helps too. And keeping a good body posture while working. This avoids tiring the body but also not forcing the eyes to adjust for the incorrect angle, so you look at the front, not sideways, or up and down.

A good chair helps in maintaining a good posture, which in turn helps not tilting the head, so less eye strain.

Taking a rest every hour, even if for a few seconds. After a while, it becomes second nature and it isn't that interrupting. It also helps to maintain concentration for longer, and to keep the posture right. Standing up, walking a bit, even if a couple of steps back and forth. And looking at a different distance (walls, through the window...) so the eyes aren't always looking at a fixed distance.

A good monitor with as few colour distortion and brighter areas helps. Uniformity of the screen.

Not abusing caffeine, etc...

I prefer three 24" at 1920x1200 rather than a farther positioned giant monitor. I get better ergonomics and a lot of real estate. I try not to work for long looking at the side monitors. For my workflow, it works great.

Any decent monitor should do if all the above works well. Ergonomics tend to be more important than the real quality of the monitor. I avoid TV "monitors" at all costs. But I've seen others working great with them. So to each, each own.

Edit: Also, check if you actually need glasses. Most "perfect" visions are actually way less "perfect." With time, that ends up hurting. If you already wear glasses, maybe it's time to check if your vision requires a correction of the lenses.
    Last edited by allabulle; 05-24-2020 at 11:28 AM.
    Salut!,
    Allabulle.

Thanks for all the info guys! I'm seriously considering the new Asus Pro Art PA248QV monitor. Apparently it's brand new so there aren't any reviews, but it seems like just what I need. Thoughts? I'm also considering the BenQ SW240, but it's around $400. I need to stick to 24" as I don't have much room and I prefer the 16:10 ratio. 24" will be an upgrade for me from 22" and 21" second monitor. But the most important thing to me in the consideration is eye care.
    Last edited by Tim Parsons; 05-24-2020 at 12:45 PM.

I use Gunnar Optics glasses. I normally do not wear everyday glasses/contacts. They filter out or reduce blue light which can be heavy on eye strain. Also if the monitors are of decent quality with manual calibration control then you might want to invest in a calibration tool such as DataColor Spyder or X-Rite Display. I use Spyder Elite.
    Humans are pretty much monkeys with car keys.

I would kick the second screen and push in the biggest 4k monitor that fits on the desk. That way you can run Layout and Modeler side-by-side, or Layout and whatever other app you need.

The Benq has nice colors, but have not seen a review that confirms the flicker free technology.

May not be practical for you, and pricey too, but a 4K ultra short throw projector, so you can just have a high resolution image on a wall and not have to squint all the time.
    https://www.projectorcentral.com/ult...projectors.cfm

Or if 4K is overkill, possibly a HD short throw proj instead.

Still researching this, but in the meantime I drove in to work and "borrowed" my monitor Dell U2415 for my home setup. My eyes already feel better. I still want to get a new monitor and I thought about getting a 2K 27 incher. I have room for that. My question is will the LW text be really small to read?

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Parsons View Post
    Still researching this, but in the meantime I drove in to work and "borrowed" my monitor Dell U2415 for my home setup. My eyes already feel better. I still want to get a new monitor and I thought about getting a 2K 27 incher. I have room for that. My question is will the LW text be really small to read?

That's essentially what I have, just two of them so I can put menus 'n such over on the right side one. Nor is the right hand one straight-butted up to the left but probably angled 30ish degrees. I've limited territory too & in 3 Dims as the ceiling is sloped. But for where my chair is, both screens are pretty much perpendicular when I swivel my head or chair.

Haven't had any issue with LW's font in that regard. Just their non-adjustable pop-ups. Wonder why that's such a low priority? I'd be a bit embarrassed frankly.
    "Never be a cat in a cartoon. Never." Chief Wiggum

The Big Apexx System:
    AMD RYZEN THREADRIPPER 2990WX Processor (3.00GHz)
    64GB DDR4-2666
    2x NVIDIA Quadro RTX 4000 8GB 32 Core (64 cores avail)