Thread: Baking out a Bullet solution

Baking out a Bullet solution

I couldn't find this but seems there must be a way of applying the dynacache file somehow so Bullet can be removed & that the scene used elsewhere.

What am I looking for here?
    "Never be a cat in a cartoon. Never." Chief Wiggum

The Big Apexx System:
    AMD RYZEN THREADRIPPER 2990WX Processor (3.00GHz)
    64GB DDR4-2666
    2x NVIDIA Quadro RTX 4000 8GB 32 Core (64 cores avail)

Not looking to output. Want to keep it in LW but be able to just fine tune a few of the items from the Bullet solution. I'll take a peak at the Mental Fish script though. Seems there should be a native way to do this.

The Big Apexx System:
    64GB DDR4-2666

You're trying to save Bullet motion after it's been simulated? Can't you just use MDD Baker?

Quote Originally Posted by Oldcode View Post
    You're trying to save Bullet motion after it's been simulated? Can't you just use MDD Baker?
    That's what I was wondering but didn't know if it could recognize a .dynacache file. I use this stuff about every 3 years & this is really the sort of stuff that should be referenced in the WIKI, but isn't.

The Big Apexx System:
    64GB DDR4-2666

Yes, just MDD it with MD Multi-baker. After it's baked, you should disable or remove Bullet so it doesn't keep calculating.

My workflow is to save two versions of the scene, one with the Bullet setup, and one with the MDD baked setup and Bullet completely removed just to be safe. This way, if I need to change anything later, I can go directly to the unbaked version.

BTW, if you use a render farm, MDD baking is the most reliable way to render Bullet solutions.

Quote Originally Posted by Greenlaw View Post
    Yes, just MDD it with MD Multi-baker. After it's baked, you should disable or remove Bullet so it doesn't keep calculating.

My workflow is to save two versions of the scene, one with the Bullet setup, and one with the MDD baked setup and Bullet completely removed just to be safe. This way, if I need to change anything later, I can go directly to the unbaked version.

BTW, if you use a render farm, MDD baking is the most reliable way to render Bullet solutions.
    Thank ya suh!

Yet another, "Gee, why don't they just put a little not about that in the Bullet section?"

The Big Apexx System:
    64GB DDR4-2666

Alternatively, there's a DP plugin called BDD Scan that bakes the simulation with motion paths for every item using the BDD format, or .mot if it's just one object. I wouldn't use it in sims involving many items but if it's just a few, this let's you edit the result like a normal keyframed animation.

If you go with MDD, also remember you can use Chronosculpt to edit the results. (Well, sort of...it's not so good for tumbling objects.)

(Note: It's been a while since I last used the above and I'm not sure how well they work with recent versions of LightWave. If anybody gets to try, please post what you find.)

I have recently updated the tutorial made for that back in the days of 2015. You can refer to the wiki here: https://docs.lightwave3d.com/display...ng+Simulations. I have also slightly rejigged that intro page to make the examples more obvious.

B
    Ben Vost - NewTek LightWave 3D development
    LightWave 3D Trial Edition
    AMD Threadripper 1950X, Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, 32GB RAM, nVidia GeForce GTX 1050Ti (4GB and 768 CUDA cores) and GTX 1080 (8GB and 2560 CUDA cores) driver version 430.86
    AMD FX8350 4.2 GHz, Windows 7 SP1 Home Premium 64-bit, 16GB RAM, nVidia GeForce GTX 1050Ti (416.34, 4GB and 768 CUDA cores)
    Dell Server, Windows 10 Pro, Intel Xeon E3-1220 @3.10 GHz, 8 GB RAM, Quadro K620
    Laptop with Intel i7, nVidia Quadro 2000Mw/ 2GB (377.83 and 192 CUDA cores), Windows 10 Professional 64-bit, 8GB RAM
    Mac Mini 2.26 GHz Core 2 Duo, 4 GB RAM, 10.10.3

Thank you Ben. Really appreciate that.

I'm a bit like you too Greenlaw in that I use this stuff about every third Blue moon. I forgot about ChronoSculpt which might work well in this case as there's only 10-12 objects.

The Big Apexx System:
    64GB DDR4-2666