Thread: Firmware rejected: File selected is not suitable for this device

Firmware rejected: File selected is not suitable for this device

Hello Newtek community

I have an SDI connect spark, hardware version 1.6 which keeps rejecting firmware updates with the message:
    "The file selected is not suitable for this device"

After having tried a lot of time I tried to see if it would accept the HDMI version of the firmware update. At first it would not. But suddenly it accepted it.

Before I updated it, the video did not work, but audio worked. After the update neither works.

So now I have an SDI connect spark with HDMI firmware on it.

It still will not accept the firmware file. Neither the SDI or the HDMI file. Except at one point it did once more. And I renamed the SDI file to match the HDMI version name and it accepted it. So now - in theory - the right firmware is on the device. Only it still does not work.

The web interface works fine except for the lack of video. And there are no other NDI devices (tricaster, monitor etc) that can pick up anything from the unit, even though the green light is flashing, which supposedly means that it is transmitting.

I have verified the input signal by looping it through to a monitor and the signal is fine. Tested both HD and SD input signals.

Anyone has experienced anything like this?

Kind regards, Rolf Jackson (Denmark)

Quote Originally Posted by rolfjackson View Post
    After having tried a lot of time I tried to see if it would accept the HDMI version of the firmware update. At first it would not. But suddenly it accepted it. Before I updated it, the video did not work, but audio worked. After the update neither works.
    Hmmm. I appreciate that desperation can prompt us to take unwise measures, but knowingly installing the wrong firmware seems like a bad idea, right? It's a while back now, but I vaguely recall having accidentally installed the wrong firmware back before measures were taken to prevent that from happening - and having similar results.

And I renamed the SDI file to match the HDMI version name and it accepted it. So now - in theory - the right firmware is on the device. Only it still does not work.

The web interface works fine except for the lack of video.
    Well, that's a creative approach. But, you're back where you started - audio but no video? I wouldn't take the fact that the loop-through works as indicative of anything other than that the monitor is able to show the signal you're supplying. It may not necessarily mean that the Spark can convert it to NDI. Did it ever work, and with this specific source as it is currently configured? Do you have any other SDI sources you could try with the Spark?
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator
    ("You've got to ask yourself one question ... 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, spammer?")

No it never worked. The loop through was just to verify that the signal worked.

I am not exactly back where I started, because audio does not work either. The original firmware was version 3.76.0387 if that is any help.

But the strange thing is that the file is being rejected like 9 out of 10 times and then suddenly it is accepted. But only the HDMI version, even though it is an SDI device.

And even after I renamed it and thus put the SDI .bin file on the thing, it still will only accept the HDMI version once in a rare while.

So there are at least two things going on:
    1. No video is being transmitted.
    2. The web management interface is behaving really weird.

FYI: I have factory reset it after each FW update as instructed by support. It does not seem to have made any difference.

To really deal with this, we would probably need a developer that knows how the firmware works and exactly what is updated, to tell us whats going on.
    Last edited by rolfjackson; 05-22-2020 at 03:19 PM.

Did you ever contact support for about the issues with the firmware upgrade? I have no idea what loading the HDMI firmware on the SDI unit will do.
    Kane Peterson
    Solutions Architect
    NewTek, Inc.

No, I didn't. Not the wisest thing to do what I did. But it does not alter the fact that the web interface was behaving very odd and that the unit did not work as it was.

As I have been working with the unit this evening, suddenly two times it would accept the FW update. But always the hdmi verision - even though I have put the SDI binary on the unit.

The only thing that has really changed is that the audio no longer works.

At first, with the original firmware, the video stand it would be greyish. Now it switches between black and blue and sometimes a tiny icon on the to left corner.

One key quetion to aask is: Why does the update procedure reject the files?

If it systematically rejected the SDI file and accepted the HDMI file then we could surmise that it is because it is the HDMI version of the firmware that is somehow still active. But that is not really the case. However, I suspect that the firmware update is not really completed for some strange reason.

If the only problem was that the unit is fried because the wrong firmware had been uploaded, then at least the web interface would behave logically - bit it doesn't.

Is it an option to ask the people who engineered this device what might cause such an odd behavior?

Is it an option to ask the people who engineered this device what might cause such an odd behavior?
    I think your only realistic option is to work with Support. It may well be a warranty issue, in view of it never having worked as expected.
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator
    ("You've got to ask yourself one question ... 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, spammer?")