Thread: Second display on Notebooks not showing with ScanConverter

Second display on Notebooks not showing with ScanConverter

Hi all!
    On a desktop computer with two displays attached NDI Scanconverter broadcasts both reliably. But on Notebooks with the internal and one external display (extended desktop) running, NDI scanconverter just broadcasts the internal display of the notebook. How can I get both displays to be broadcast? Thanks for your suggestions.
    Regards,
    Mike

Are they separate GPUs for internal and external displays? On my laptop NDI Scan Converter will show both displays. However, NDI Scan Converter loads code inside the GPU, so it will only see the display in which the code is running. On some systems you can choose the default GPU on the system (in my case I have to choose Intel on my laptop, even though there is an nVidia GPU in the system as well).

If none of that help, then my current suggestion is to look at some of the other NDI scan converter like applications. OBS Studio (with the NDI plug-in) or vMix Desktop Capture are other solutions. They might not offer the same performance as the NDI Scan Converter application, but they should see all displays since they run as CPU applications.
    Kane Peterson
    Solutions Architect
    NewTek, Inc.

For comparison, on my laptop - which has both Intel and nVidia graphics - the only way I reliably get both the local display and an external screen captured is to connect the outboard one via a Thunderbolt adapter, rather than directly connecting to the laptop's HDMI port. This seems to force the external display to use the Intel chipset, but rather negates the value of having the nVidia card. I've tried all manner of things, but though it sometimes worked initially (so it seemed I could 'have my cake and eat it too') it did not prove to be reliable as a long term solution.

YMMV, of course.
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator
    ("You've got to ask yourself one question ... 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, spammer?")

Registered User Red Dog Records's Avatar
    To complicate things even more, we ended up creating two instances of scan converter. Basically installed it once, changed the name and installed it again. We then created a shortcut for each and assigned each one to run with a different GPU, one using the internal INTEL and other using the NVIDIA card.

We don't run them both at once, but we use one to send the internal monitor (INTEL) and the other to send the HDMI connected monitor (NVIDIA).

Since every one of our set-ups are different, it allows us to simply click a shortcut and have the program configured correctly - PLUS it lets us use the better graphics card when needed - like when we have to run THREE screens on a laptop.

It does make updates a bit of a hassle though.

Andrew
    Tricaster 460AE3 + Mini 4K
    Flypack: Router, switch, backup encoders, captioning devices, audio mixer, UPS, etc
    Cameras: Sony Z280, Z150, PTZ1, Multiple Spark & Bird Dog converters
    reddogrecords.com

Quote Originally Posted by Red Dog Records View Post
    ... and assigned each one to run with a different GPU ...
    Can you offer details of this bit?
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator
    ("You've got to ask yourself one question ... 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, spammer?")