Thread: Mac, PC (win10) and remote desktop

Mac, PC (win10) and remote desktop

Hi guys! It's been a while since I dropped by... Yesterday I got a new toy - refurbished HP with 2xXeon2690. My whole "eco-system" is mac based, and I'm really not familiar with Windows. But this machine really was a bargain, so I didn't hesitate much. Besides, my 6-core cylinder is becoming a bit slow as a render-horse, the two notebooks have never been suitable for rendering.

So, it took me a few hours to setup this new toy... same scene rendertime on a 6-core cylinder takes over 11 min., on HP is below 4. Great!

I prefer OSX over Win, so my main machine is still OSX-based. It's a very comfortable setup - 34' main display and two 27' displays to it's sides. 3D is not my main work, and I really feel handicapped without one of those three displays. So I tried with MS Remote Desktop to access the PC. It works, even much better than Apple's Screen Sharing. With one huge problem, that makes it useless for me! When working in LW (both, Layout or Modeler) mouse-drag doesn't work. Neither over "left/right sliders" (for example, click'n'drag over the L/R arrows to change X position in the lower left corner in Layout) or just to drag the existing polygons in modeler. I googled and read "half of the internet" in vain... Something similar is with Modo, where the drag-action acts weird: it 'accelerates' and even small movements of mouse produce ever greater movements of cursor and the direction change follows weirdly. Even after I move the mouse in the oposite direction, the cursor proceedes in previous direction with ever smaller steps and then finaly decides to follow in the second direction. And these weird behaveours seems to be only within LW and Modo... Has anyone had similar experiences and have found a solution? Oh, LW2018, OSX 10.14, WIN10 PRO...

It's not a deal breaker, rather annoying inconvenience...

Thanx!
    ----==== May the Force be with you! ====----

Newbie Member
    Hi accom,

I noticed the same issue with click'n'drag using remote desktop. This happens from Mac to Windows 10 PRO, as well as from Windows 10 PRO to Windows 10 PRO using Lightwave 2020.
    I have a dual screen setup with iMac and external monitor and wanted to use both screens. Since my iMac is from 2009 it provides only 2 render threads and is far too slow for vpr.

Using remote desktop to windows and work with 3D Coat is no problem at all and suggests everything is ok with both systems.

I thought about spinnig up a virtual machine with lots of cores in Azure, but without full mouse support I did not even test the performance.

My Remote Desktop experience:
    In LW 2020 it is not possible to move or rotate objects using remote desktop. It is not possible to move the frame slider. You can jump from frame 0 to frame 10 but not slide from 0 to 10.
    The mouse pointer disappiers if you click and hold the mouse button. But after dragging the mouse and releasing the mouse button, the mouse pointer appears again at its previous position.

Maybe this post should be moved to the support forum?

Quote Originally Posted by accom View Post
    Hi guys! It's been a while since I dropped by... Yesterday I got a new toy - refurbished HP with 2xXeon2690. My whole "eco-system" is mac based, and I'm really not familiar with Windows. But this machine really was a bargain, so I didn't hesitate much. Besides, my 6-core cylinder is becoming a bit slow as a render-horse, the two notebooks have never been suitable for rendering.

So, it took me a few hours to setup this new toy... same scene rendertime on a 6-core cylinder takes over 11 min., on HP is below 4. Great!

I prefer OSX over Win, so my main machine is still OSX-based. It's a very comfortable setup - 34' main display and two 27' displays to it's sides. 3D is not my main work, and I really feel handicapped without one of those three displays. So I tried with MS Remote Desktop to access the PC. It works, even much better than Apple's Screen Sharing. With one huge problem, that makes it useless for me! When working in LW (both, Layout or Modeler) mouse-drag doesn't work. Neither over "left/right sliders" (for example, click'n'drag over the L/R arrows to change X position in the lower left corner in Layout) or just to drag the existing polygons in modeler. I googled and read "half of the internet" in vain... Something similar is with Modo, where the drag-action acts weird: it 'accelerates' and even small movements of mouse produce ever greater movements of cursor and the direction change follows weirdly. Even after I move the mouse in the oposite direction, the cursor proceedes in previous direction with ever smaller steps and then finaly decides to follow in the second direction. And these weird behaveours seems to be only within LW and Modo... Has anyone had similar experiences and have found a solution? Oh, LW2018, OSX 10.14, WIN10 PRO...

It's not a deal breaker, rather annoying inconvenience...

Thanx!
    Same here.... I have LW running on a big machine but sometimes I want to sit somewhere else than the office. It looks all good taking over the screen (with RDP) but mouse functions/using multiple keys is just not working properly. It's a shame as I'm chained to my office now. I use all Windows based OS's by the way.

I actually have never tried VNC.... might be worth it? Don't know if that's available for MAC though.

Thank you! It seems that the problem is app-based. Could be connected with the same glitch as with LW2018 and Mojave interface, where all the controls were blacked out...

Quote Originally Posted by slacer View Post
    Maybe this post should be moved to the support forum?
    Agree, how can I do that?

Quote Originally Posted by peebeearr View Post
    I actually have never tried VNC.... might be worth it? Don't know if that's available for MAC though.
    vnc works well from PC to mac

- - - Updated - - -

FWIW, better setup is Synergy

Share one mouse and one keyboard between multiple computers. Simply move your mouse between your computers effortlessly. You can even copy and paste between computers. Synergy works on Windows, macOS, Linux, and Raspberry Pi. You only need a regular Ethernet or WiFi network connection, and no special hardware.

https://sourceforge.net/projects/synergy-stable-builds/

Stuff like substance painter doesn't like remote desktop.
    Last edited by gar26lw; 05-21-2020 at 04:03 AM.

Newbie Member
    Quote Originally Posted by accom View Post
    Agree, how can I do that?
    I guess this requires an admin in this forum. I don't know who is able to move it.

Go to your LW preferences and switch from Mouse to Tablet functionality (even though you're not using a tablet). That fixes remote access mouse issues.

Edit -> General Options -> Input Device : Tablet
    LW4, 7.5D, 2015, 2018, 2019, 2020 running portably on a USB drive on an Amiga 2500 running Wine.

THANK YOU SO MUCH!

It works! Great! Huge timesaver! Switching between displays would be so annoying.

Newbie Member

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by raymondtrace View Post
    Go to your LW preferences and switch from Mouse to Tablet functionality (even though you're not using a tablet). That fixes remote access mouse issues.

Edit -> General Options -> Input Device : Tablet
    Thank you, this works for me as well and it removes my click and drag issues with OctaneRender as well!

This is great!

I have not tried this yet, but I just stumbled on to it today.

https://developer.nvidia.com/designworks

Access to this page and download requires a free Nvidia web site account.

As gar26lw points out, remote desktop issues are not limited to LW. A lot of this may be due to display hardware acceleration that does not translate well through RDP technology. Nvidia may have a helpful tool...

"Accelerate Windows Remote Desktop

Game developers and content creators all over the world are working from home and asking us to help them use Windows Remote Desktop streaming with the tools they use.
    We've created a special tool for GeForce GPUs to accelerate Windows Remote Desktop streaming with GeForce drivers R440 or later.

Download and launch the executable as administrator on the Windows Desktop where your OpenGL application will run. A dialog will confirm that OpenGL acceleration is enabled and if a reboot is required."
    LW4, 7.5D, 2015, 2018, 2019, 2020 running portably on a USB drive on an Amiga 2500 running Wine.

I use TeamViewer for working on my Mac and other Windows machines. It's free, you just have to put up with nagging you should buy the full thing. The quality is splendid - I converse daily with my mum through TeamViewer showing my Mac The video is a bit laggy but it works perfectly.

B
    Ben Vost - NewTek LightWave 3D development
    LightWave 3D Trial Edition
    AMD Threadripper 1950X, Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, 32GB RAM, nVidia GeForce GTX 1050Ti (4GB and 768 CUDA cores) and GTX 1080 (8GB and 2560 CUDA cores) driver version 430.86
    AMD FX8350 4.2 GHz, Windows 7 SP1 Home Premium 64-bit, 16GB RAM, nVidia GeForce GTX 1050Ti (416.34, 4GB and 768 CUDA cores)
    Dell Server, Windows 10 Pro, Intel Xeon E3-1220 @3.10 GHz, 8 GB RAM, Quadro K620
    Laptop with Intel i7, nVidia Quadro 2000Mw/ 2GB (377.83 and 192 CUDA cores), Windows 10 Professional 64-bit, 8GB RAM
    Mac Mini 2.26 GHz Core 2 Duo, 4 GB RAM, 10.10.3

Newbie Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BeeVee View Post
    I use TeamViewer for working on my Mac and other Windows machines. It's free, you just have to put up with nagging you should buy the full thing. The quality is splendid - I converse daily with my mum through TeamViewer showing my Mac The video is a bit laggy but it works perfectly.

B
    Hi Beete,
    I use Microsoft Remote Desktop from my Mac to work from home via vpn and it is not lagging. Switching LightWave input from mouse to tablet as mentioned by raymondtrace was all it needs to solve my problem.
    Even Octopus Renderer with only 1 graphics card works in this mode without ghost selects. (You point at one object in schematic view and another object gets selected).
    And it is cheaper than to buy a second graphics card.

Quote Originally Posted by raymondtrace View Post
    I have not tried this yet, but I just stumbled on to it today.

https://developer.nvidia.com/designworks

Access to this page and download requires a free Nvidia web site account.

As gar26lw points out, remote desktop issues are not limited to LW. A lot of this may be due to display hardware acceleration that does not translate well through RDP technology. Nvidia may have a helpful tool...

"Accelerate Windows Remote Desktop

Game developers and content creators all over the world are working from home and asking us to help them use Windows Remote Desktop streaming with the tools they use.
    We've created a special tool for GeForce GPUs to accelerate Windows Remote Desktop streaming with GeForce drivers R440 or later.

Download and launch the executable as administrator on the Windows Desktop where your OpenGL application will run. A dialog will confirm that OpenGL acceleration is enabled and if a reboot is required."
    ive added that to all machines, improves lw on remote desktop.