Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: LW 2020 Rendering problem

LW 2020 Rendering problem

I've been rendering out a scene using the new environment lighting and using brute force setting in global illumination. I've twice rendered the same scene out to an rla file. The first time it dropped the environment light on one frame. So I found the frame and rendered it singly again which worked fine. I next added some more geometry to the same scene and rendered out again. This time several frames dropped the Environment light. This is really annoying as I'm not sure why it is doing this.
    It had been working fine, the problem seemed to have started from when I changed global illumination to brute force. Could this be the reason? Maybe it can't handle high polycount or file size etc. Any ideas? Anyone else found this in the new 2020 renderer??

(edit) OK, I've removed all objects from scene and placed a simple cube in the scene and rendered out. Same problem happens so nothing to do with the object itself.
    Last edited by genesis1; 05-20-2020 at 04:33 AM.

don't think its poly count, Iv'e rendered stuff that made 2015.3 fall over.

I've just looked at the images again. I think actually it's the spotlight and not the environment light. I tested again with a cube and reduced camera samples and it was fine. It seems for some reason, when I have camera samples turned up quite high, the spot light drops out on certain frames in a render. Yet, if I render out just those faulty images again as single frames in viewer, they are fine.

Got more render problems. Tried to render out some hair quickly with shadows, reflections etc turned off and same problem of odd frames with different brightness flashing up. So it's either lights or render problem. If anyone else has an issue like this let me know.

Haven't tried 2020 yet, but seeing how the new system uses G.I. caches, is it possible it is getting messed up because it is stuck referencing the cache data created from before you added more objects to the scene. I would think brute force would not reference the cache, but it's just an idea. Could you delete the cache data, so it is forced to create new data?

Quote Originally Posted by wingzeta View Post
    Haven't tried 2020 yet, but seeing how the new system uses G.I. caches, is it possible it is getting messed up because it is stuck referencing the cache data created from before you added more objects to the scene. I would think brute force would not reference the cache, but it's just an idea. Could you delete the cache data, so it is forced to create new data?
    Don't know where the cache is as its not like previous version. I'm sure I tried it without GI on at all. I'm trying some more tests to narrow it down. It's got me puzzled. Why does it render these faulty frames but then when you go back and render them single they render OK??

It surely looks like a cache issue.
    Maybe changing the 'Scene Baking Frame Step' setting of the cache sequence could help.
    Last edited by allabulle; 05-20-2020 at 01:54 PM.
    Salut!,
    Allabulle.

Quote Originally Posted by allabulle View Post
    It surely looks like a cache issue.
    Maybe changing the 'Scene Baking Frame Step' setting of the cache sequence could help.
    There is no cache or frame step in the new 2020 render properties. So I cannot clear cache or enable or disable or change frame step.

secondary GI at the bottom of the Global Illumination Panel, you won't see it unless you change it back to irradiance from brute force, which is what you seem to have altered it to reading your post. At the bottom is a an option for disk caching, down there is an option to clear cache, you need to bake a new one every time you change something, you added new geo, cache type should be set to 'frame' for animation.(and obviously you need to set a file path and bake it before you render)

How did I miss the scroll bar. Found the cache, but I don't have it turned on and GI is off, and still getting a bad render frame as if someone moved a light. The contrast and brightness changes randomly. Can just be on one frame or another time on 3 or 4. Don't know what's causing it.

Quote Originally Posted by genesis1 View Post
    There is no cache or frame step in the new 2020 render properties. So I cannot clear cache or enable or disable or change frame step.
    It was just an idea. But just for the record, yes there is:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	LW2020_Scene_Backing_Frame_Step.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	43.8 KB 
ID:	147912
    Salut!,
    Allabulle.

Yes, it was my bad, I stupidly missed the scroll bar. It's a mystery to why this is happening. Everything started off OK then suddenly I'm getting these odd renders. Guess I will have to go back to my previous version of lightwave as this wastes too much time having to locate the bad frames and re-render them out again.

I've tested this scene 6 times in LW2020 and 3 out of six times it renders bad frames that are diminished in lighting as if someone turned out the spotlight. The rest of the time it renders fine. Its not always the same frames and can vary from just one to several bad frames. If anyone has the time to sit and try this scene and let me know. You may need to run it 5-6 times to be sure. All GI and shadows and reflections are turned off, so you can actually sit and watch it render these 100 frames fast and spot a bad one as it renders. I've tried it in 2019 and no problems. Just 2020 version giving me problems. Don't know if its a software random bug or I have a hardware problem myself. Only way I can tell is if someone else can spare time to try it. Thanks if you do. zip file attached below.
    Attached Files Attached Files

I gave it a try and yes, in this case frame 54 appears to have different shading. The rest of the sequence has consistent shading.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Frame_54_Shading_Variation.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	52.0 KB 
ID:	147915
    Salut!,
    Allabulle.

OK, there's a keyframe at frame 117 for the EnvLight. Might be worth a look.

I have no time to test it further myself.
    Last edited by allabulle; 05-21-2020 at 06:56 AM.
    Salut!,
    Allabulle.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast