Thread: WWI pin modeled in LW.

WWI pin modeled in LW.

A client sent me this pin to 3D scan. He wasn't happy with the detail level from the scanner so I modeled the pin from scratch. Just looking at it in my hand. I used a lot of LWCad and a lot of Sub-D objects for some curvy parts.

Edit: My mistake, he didn't specify WWI, he just said "warfare".

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20200516_212728.jpg 
Views:	127 
Size:	243.6 KB 
ID:	147855
    Last edited by Philbert; 05-16-2020 at 07:33 PM.
    ~~Phil Nolan
    www.philnolan3d.com - Twitter - YouTube
    Win 10 Home x64, Core i7 3.4 GHz, GeForce GT 640, 16GB RAM
    Laptop: Win10 x64, Core I7 8th gen, 1.8 GHz, 16GB RAM

Looks very cool, good work man
    RAM-Studio
    WS - Dual Xeon E5-2698v4/128GB/Win10x64/4xRTX 2080Ti
    My LWM Video Car Modeling Tutorial

Nice job!

You've created a US Navy Information Dominance Warfare pin. Not very old, they were first issued in 2010.

There was a time when wearing a specialty pin on your uniform made you stand out because they were not easy to earn and only elite specialties could earn them. (Aviators, SEALs, EOD, Divers, and Submariners. -just to name a few.)

These days where inclusion is such a priority, just about everyone in the Navy can qualify for a pin, even if your job does't require one. It' not uncommon to see sailors wearing two or three of them. The downhill slide began with the Surface Warfare pin, (we called them water wings) which were handed out after a very easy qual process so the surface fleet sailors could feel proud of themselves for basically doing their jobs. (There is no comparison to the level of effort required to earn submarine dolphins.) Fail to qualify on a submarine within a prescribed amount of time and you get kicked out - to surface ships! That was considered to be the ultimate humiliation. Get thrown out of the surface fleet and you are on the street.

As the Navy started becoming very touchy-feely in the late 80's, everyone wanted to feel "special" so the Navy began creating pins for anything that was deemed specialized. (Special is not the same as specialized . . . ) The whole concept of being an elite member of a specialized team took a backseat to foster a sense of esprit de corps among the general population by planting pins on their uniforms.

Here's a recent prime example of how out of control the awarding of pins has become: https://www.navytimes.com/news/your-...no-more-quals/

CCC
    Last edited by ccclarke; 05-17-2020 at 10:38 AM.

Looks pretty good. It is a good attempt from eye-balling it, but I am unsure if it does justice to the original reference.

How important is it that this 3d model looks identical to the original? Is this model to serve as a correct representation and reference of the original pin?

I ask, because there are quite a few inconsistencies compared to the original pin. While it looks similar, it is way too far off from looking identical enough in my opinion.

- the sword's guard needs more work. Rounding looks off, and the loop is missing
    - the pommel is incorrect.
    - the hilt in the original shows/implies roundness, which is lost in your version.

- the curls at the wing tips lack depth and look too flat
    - the number of rope windings is incorrect
    - the top rope shape is not as round as the original seems to be

- in the wings, the 'feathers' in each wing number 35-36 in the original, while your version counts 27 in each wing.
    - the angles of the 'feathers' are quite different when the two are compared.
    - the feathers look too sharp and cut into the curve. Depth seems off.
    - the original feathers are separately modeled in the original, and do not seamlessly run in one line as in your version.

- the globe is missing details. Hawaii and the Caribbean are missing. Parts of Alasks (tail) missing.

The piece would benefit from overall bevels and rounding as well. It lacks depth unlike the original pin.

I probably would have used a sculpting app instead of polygonal modeling to model this piece, since it would have given it that "die cast" look that the original casting(?) has.

Sorry - I am a stickler for details. It is a historic item, and I feel a 3d model needs to reference it correctly.
    Last edited by Rayek; 05-17-2020 at 10:36 AM.
    Win10 64 - i7 [email protected], p6t Deluxe v1, 48gb, Nvidia GTX 1080 8GB, Revodrive X2 240gb, e-mu 1820. Screens: 2 x Samsung s27a850ds 2560x1440, HP 1920x1200 in portrait mode

So basically I told the guy I could scan it and it would cost a certain amount. Since he wasn't happy with the scan quality I decide to model it from scratch and still charge him the same price. So I got it "close enough" since I was basically working for free. I told him he could pay for it if he wanted it or I would just keep it for my portfolio because it was a fun project. He didn't specifically say he liked it but he paid and said there would be more jobs coming for me. So I guess that means he liked it.

Apparently he's making plaques worth a scaled up version of the pin.
    ~~Phil Nolan
    www.philnolan3d.com - Twitter - YouTube
    Win 10 Home x64, Core i7 3.4 GHz, GeForce GT 640, 16GB RAM
    Laptop: Win10 x64, Core I7 8th gen, 1.8 GHz, 16GB RAM

In that case: the client gets what he paid for! :-)

Good job nonetheless. I worked for archives and museums in the past, and did some 3d scanning, and that is why I am a bit detail oriented.

I wonder what the result would look like when the photo is converted to a displacement map, and then cleaned up with some sculpting. Hmmm...
    Win10 64 - i7 [email protected], p6t Deluxe v1, 48gb, Nvidia GTX 1080 8GB, Revodrive X2 240gb, e-mu 1820. Screens: 2 x Samsung s27a850ds 2560x1440, HP 1920x1200 in portrait mode