Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Layout crashing when I open the file requester

Layout crashing when I open the file requester

On my laptop Layout 2019.1.5 has started to crash every time I use Load or Save File. In many cases I can just drag a file in or Save instead of Save As but any other time it crashes about one second after Explorer opens.

Edit: Modeler does it too.
    Last edited by Philbert; 05-16-2020 at 11:50 PM.
    ~~Phil Nolan
    www.philnolan3d.com - Twitter - YouTube
    Win 10 Home x64, Core i7 3.4 GHz, GeForce GT 640, 16GB RAM
    Laptop: Win10 x64, Core I7 8th gen, 1.8 GHz, 16GB RAM

I'd check the disk/ssd first.
    Download my free Legato plugin for CA in LightWave
    Pose- and Motion Libraries, tools to structure your story/poses/performances, X-sheet I/O, audio analysis, hotspot item selection, ...

That seems odd since no other program has that problem. I also just replaced the HDD less than a year ago.

Edit: I realized that I had some older versions installed as well so I loaded 2019.0.3 and that worked fine. Load, save and export in Modeler all worked normally. I suspect it's an issue with the configs. If hate to delete them all and lose my UI settings, Plugins, etc., but I will if I have to.
    Last edited by Philbert; 05-17-2020 at 01:49 AM.
    ~~Phil Nolan

A long time ago I had crashes in the file explorer because of some AMD extensions to the OS that used the GPU to read Jpeg files. They fixed it eventually. The file requester is just one of those things that can have a lot of things patched into it via 3rd party.

The only time I've had this problem is when the file requester is defaulting to a network drive or other volume that currently doesn't exist. It'll hang for a minute or so then crash. It's been a *long* time since I had that problem (early 2018 versions) but that's more because I found the switch that was causing the issues with my network and replaced it than with LW.

Are you using the filesystem file requester or the LW native one? Try switching to whichever one you're not using and see if that changes the behavior.

Also, check your plugins. Plugins can add things to the filetypes list and those show up on the save-as list. I don't know if that code gets called on startup, or when the file requester save-as gets called, but you may have a bug in a plugin somewhere. (long shot, but you never know).

And of course, LW's version of turn it off and turn it back on again... (after copying them somewhere else temporarily) nuke your configs and start lw up again then try it out. See if it still crashes.

Scott

I didn't even know there was another file requester. I always used the System one. I changed it to VBFileRequester and it doesn't crash. However I don't like that one so I'll try backing up and clearing the configs. It's definitely not a network drive. And it does take 5 seconds or so before the crash so if I'm fat enough sometimes I can quickly load or save the file before it happens.
    ~~Phil Nolan

Do you have any autodesk programs installed/ They used to patch a lot of things into the filesystem.

Nope no autodesk on my laptop. Funny now that you mention it I used to have Sketchbook Pro but I haven't used it in a long time. Now that I look it's not there. I must've Uninstalled it.
    ~~Phil Nolan

run command prompt as admin

sfc /scannow

&

DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth

https://www.howtogeek.com/222532/how...dism-commands/

Sadly neither of those helped. I do notice right before LW crashes I see the little blue circle spin next to my cursor.
    ~~Phil Nolan

id update the drivers.

device manager>rmb > update driver> search online

try running in compatibility mode for win 7.

other than that, blitz configuration.

Having run out of ideas I finally uninstalled all versions of LightWave that had the problem and reinstalled 2019.1.5. It seems to be working now. I'll just have to get it all set up again with plugins, tabs, etc. Thanks for all the suggestions.
    ~~Phil Nolan

Now when it's all good copy your configs folder to some other location or in same make folder "configs_backup" so next time if something goes wild you just overwrite all your with working configs/keys/mensu and all is ready in few seconds. I'm doing that since LW 6.x .
    RAM-Studio
    WS - Dual Xeon E5-2698v4/128GB/Win10x64/4xRTX 2080Ti
    My LWM Video Car Modeling Tutorial

Yeah I usually do that. It apparently wasn't the configs this time though. I have all my menus and keys saved so I mainly just have to load them back in, install LWCad and it's menus, then change my Perspective viewport to my liking.
    ~~Phil Nolan

Quote Originally Posted by Philbert View Post
    Yeah I usually do that. It apparently wasn't the configs this time though. I have all my menus and keys saved so I mainly just have to load them back in, install LWCad and it's menus, then change my Perspective viewport to my liking.
    A bit of a long-shot, admittedly, but one possibility is that a file wound up in the autoscan plugin directory that was causing a crash when LW attempted to scan & load it during launch. I've had that happen before, though at the time (a few versions ago) LW was inappropriately scanning/loading file types it shouldn't have been. Perhaps they somehow re-activated that old problem during their changes.
    John W.
    LW2015.3UB/2019.1.5 on MacPro(12C/24T/10.13.6),64GB RAM, NV 980ti

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast