Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: This should've continued (LW Magazine)

This should've continued (LW Magazine)

I don't know why I've never seen these before. Why didn't this continue? They only did three.
    https://www.lightwave3d.com/communit...wave_magazine/

I mean, the blog kind of replaced this, but the amount of content in these magazines is awesome! Even the little tutorials in them are really good.

Hopefully VizRT will start something like this again.
    MacBook Pro
    2.9 GHz 6-Core Intel Core i9
    32GB 2400 MHz DDR4
    Intel UHD Graphics 630 1536Mb

I think those days are long over. It's too bad. LW could really be a major player if NT/VizRT put some money behind it.

Yes, I liked those Magazines

But I cant agree on Schwyhart on that the blog Kind of replaced it, the blog is all about Lightwave development, while the magazine was more about artist or studio projects.

Prior to this there was a hardcopy magazine that I subscribed to that often contained quite a bit of LW material...

KeyFrame Magazine

then morphed into

Hdri 3D Magazine

Short lived after that.
    Humans are pretty much monkeys with car keys.

I just don't think they have the man power for that kind of thing now. It takes lots of time and effort to put those together. They were very nice though.
    Threadripper 2990WX, X399 MSI MEG Creation, 64GB 2400Mhz RAM, GTX 1070 Ti 8GB

https://www.dynamicrenderings.com/

NT really needs to continue/restart these.

Anyone here remember the old LightWave Pro and NewTekniques magazines? I imported these for a small fortune in the 90s. I still have them on my shelf. Also the Video Toaster Mag (my father had a subscription on that).

Quote Originally Posted by Nicolas Jordan View Post
    I just don't think they have the man power for that kind of thing now. It takes lots of time and effort to put those together. They were very nice though.
    So the guys who did them were fired, reitired, got new duties?
    Who made them?

Itīs possible they did an analyze of how much it was downloaded or something, or how much the magazines were talked about...and perhaps found that it was hard to know what impact it had.

I liked them anyway, have them downloaded, but for it to revive..if they have the resources, I think they should even start a forum section for the magazines, where people can discuss the numbers, and if there is something extra special here and there to point to.

I got one of these at Siggraph last time I went in 2004. I think that's the only place you could get them.
    ~~Phil Nolan
    www.philnolan3d.com - Twitter - YouTube
    Win 10 Home x64, Core i7 3.4 GHz, GeForce GT 640, 16GB RAM
    Laptop: Win10 x64, Core I7 8th gen, 1.8 GHz, 16GB RAM

Quote Originally Posted by prometheus View Post
    So the guys who did them were fired, reitired, got new duties?
    Who made them?
    All of the above. Look at the "masthead", at bottom right of table of contents, staff is listed, and will clarify why no longer.

The last "News/Press" entry on the LW website was from Jan. 2018. If they can't even update that (given the version releases since), chances of something as elaborate as a written/curated/edited magazine are about nil.
    Last edited by jwiede; 05-16-2020 at 06:59 PM.
    John W.
    LW2015.3UB/2019.1.5 on MacPro(12C/24T/10.13.6),64GB RAM, NV 980ti

Quote Originally Posted by jwiede View Post
    All of the above. Look at the "masthead", at bottom right of table of contents, staff is listed, and will clarify why no longer.

The last "News/Press" entry on the LW website was from Jan. 2018. If they can't even update that (given the version releases since), chances of something as elaborate as a written/curated/edited magazine are about nil.
    Funny..I looked at it briefly, but not so thoroughly as you did obviously, so thankīs.

If these are still there..
    Editor-In-Chief:Kelly Dove | Design:Johanna Roussel

Then itīs a matter of getting other lightwave passionate folks in there, I was mainly wondering about the ones responsible for the Design and Editing, but of course, if no ones contribute to the content, thereīs little the designer
    or the editor can do.
    And of course I knew that some main contributing people, had quit and such, but the above is what interested me in the first place.

its all better off being open source

Quote Originally Posted by prometheus View Post
    If these are still there..
    Editor-In-Chief:Kelly Dove | Design:Johanna Roussel
    They aren't. See https://www.johannaroussel.com/about.html, Johanna Roussel says she left Newtek in 2018. Kelly Dove is listed as being at "KGKD Public Relations" in Austin TX, per https://www.newtek.com/pr-test/media/media-contacts/, so doesn't appear to be at Newtek any longer (if ever was). Finding out took me literally a single google search for each name.
    John W.
    LW2015.3UB/2019.1.5 on MacPro(12C/24T/10.13.6),64GB RAM, NV 980ti

the nt dev rule:

there are two choices, one will benefit the end user, increase market share, create a better product, attract new users and the other will not.

which do you chose?

We aren’t privy to the cost/benefit ratio of this sort of promotional material but my guess is that it was never particularly effective in promoting sales, and only became less so as lightwave’s market share shrunk. Judging by the most recent release the marketing budget for lightwave now appears to be effectively zero.

Quote Originally Posted by jwiede View Post
    They aren't. See https://www.johannaroussel.com/about.html, Johanna Roussel says she left Newtek in 2018. Kelly Dove is listed as being at "KGKD Public Relations" in Austin TX, per https://www.newtek.com/pr-test/media/media-contacts/, so doesn't appear to be at Newtek any longer (if ever was). Finding out took me literally a single google search for each name.
    All good research, lack of people resources then, thanks for that time effort to return with that info which perhaps explains why it isnīt continued at this moment

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast