Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 53

Thread: I used LW on Blockbusters - Why not tell other users?

  1. #31
    Quote Originally Posted by tyrot View Post
    OH MAKE LW GREAT AGAIN DJ !!!! full support from my side!
    All it takes is for them to say yes.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by paulk View Post
    Since an artist's portfolio can contain work with obvious trademarks, without risking take-down orders, could NewTek advertise Lightwave, using an artist's non-commercial images, with a link to the portfolio?
    Yes.
    DJ Lithium | KAT! =^..^=

    Black Tiger Recordings
    http://www.blacktigerrecordings.com
    Founder and Citizen of Liberty3d.com
    www.liberty3d.com

  2. #32
    Super Member Chris S. (Fez)'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    3,039
    Something needs to change. I can't even consider upgrading until they release a patch and fix the multithreading and environment lights and such.

  3. #33
    Man of many cells. shrox's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Eureka, CA
    Posts
    7,099
    A pic of Jet3D, a pic of one of his non proprietary models with his quote: "I used Lightwave on blockbusters - Why not tell other users?"

    Bam, there's your ad campaign. A series of them featuring different artists, Kat, Mr. Rid, etc.
    Last edited by shrox; 05-15-2020 at 08:25 PM.
    shrox www.shrox.com
    -----------------------
    Heavy Metal Landing


    -----------------------
    I build the best spaceships, the biggest spaceships, they're great, you'll love them.

  4. #34
    Registered User gdkeast's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Location
    Middle of nowhere
    Posts
    295
    Thanks for putting in a good word for LW. I have always said a good program is a good program, just like Photoshop is solid through and through. I see LW exactly the same way. You can use to create whatever you can imagine, and like some cameras, it is not perfect, but there are always workarounds and solutions. I think tackling any challenges LW has makes you a better problem solver. LW has such an incredible legacy and thanks for sharing yours.

    This quote by Hypersuperduper sums up my position completely and with humor.


    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	LightWaveForever.png 
Views:	106 
Size:	27.6 KB 
ID:	147843

  5. #35
    Quote Originally Posted by gdkeast View Post
    Thanks for putting in a good word for LW. I have always said a good program is a good program, just like Photoshop is solid through and through. I see LW exactly the same way. You can use to create whatever you can imagine, and like some cameras, it is not perfect, but there are always workarounds and solutions. I think tackling any challenges LW has makes you a better problem solver. LW has such an incredible legacy and thanks for sharing yours.

    This quote by Hypersuperduper sums up my position completely and with humor.


    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	LightWaveForever.png 
Views:	106 
Size:	27.6 KB 
ID:	147843
    That quote is hilarious!
    Threadripper 2990WX, X399 MSI MEG Creation, 64GB 2400Mhz RAM, GTX 1070 Ti 8GB

    https://www.dynamicrenderings.com/

  6. #36
    Quite impressive Jet.

    Newtek used to (back in the olden days) actually get examples from real productions to use in promotional material...but then that would require a real marketing team.
    Rob Depew
    Modeler/Animator/Editor
    Web Portfolio
    My Patreon
    YouTube
    Lightwave3D 2019, RF10, Gaea and more..
    Threadripper 32 core , 48gb, GTX-1070
    Asus 752vt i7 2.6 x 4, 48gb, GTX-970

  7. #37
    Pleased to meet you. Oedo 808's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    London
    Posts
    1,575
    Jet3D: I used LW on Blockbusters - Why not tell other users?

    LW Marketing: Hold my beer...
    Sentenced to 310 years for crimes against modelling and rendering.

  8. #38
    RETROGRADER prometheus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    sweden stockholm
    Posts
    17,386
    From my perspective, I think everything needs to go to another dimension, and that it is obviously so that the LW community and artists, hobbyist is a major contributing factor ..also for marketing as these posts by Jet also putīs the spotlight on.

    And as such I mean, completely redo the lightwave forums, this forum needs to be more vibrant and can be so, but not under a forum neglectance or unwillingness to maintain or update refresh it all by the hands of Newtek staff.
    The whole gallery section needs fixing to be up front your face when arriving here, including adds for other lw sites, plugins.
    vimeo linking to videos embedded needs fixing...it isnīt working on these forums.

    Image size when attaching files needs to be bigger, and even selecting multiple files at once instead of one for each upload.
    And from my perspective, a completely seperate forum main menu, where you split tricaster and other products in to one menu, and one for lightwave, or at least a serious restructure of the sections to be more in focus and gathered.

    When lurking a certain other software forum(not the one below though), I am a bit shocked that it works so nicely while here it just doesnīt.

    It isnīt exactly a pleasure to post images or videos from vimeo on these pages, and share experiments, test renders etc.

    https://michaeli65.wixsite.com/lightwave-forum

  9. #39
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Cumbria UK
    Posts
    528
    Quote Originally Posted by Oedo 808 View Post
    Jet3D: I used LW on Blockbusters - Why not tell other users?

    LW Marketing: Hold my beer...
    Ha ha. Funny. Guess only a Brit would get that.


    Seriously though, It is great to see and hear about Jet3D's high-profile work. It should inspire others, and Newtek's marketing will hopefully be all over it.

    Agree with Prometheus's thoughts about this forum. I'm not on facebook, so this forum is my only source of quizzing other far-more knowledgeable users, but other than the occasional lick of paint, so to speak, I don't think it has changed much since I started using Lightwave way back with version 7.

    I get how projects like the ones Jet3D works on are often history before they are able to discuss or post images etc from them. I have done work recently using Lightwave for manufacturing, as I use it for mould making, and the company I work for have produced moulds for the Game of Thrones dragon egg (given out in the UK prior to the release of the final season) , as well as Reese's and Hersheys. As well as a slew of other, much, much lower profile jobs.
    The field I'm in is a fairly small one, so NDAs prevent me from showing off anything until way after it's been on the shelves and been scoffed. What I do isn't in the same league as the kind of stuff Jet3D is doing, so I'm not sure if Newtek would even be interested.

    Derek

  10. #40
    Registered User gdkeast's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Location
    Middle of nowhere
    Posts
    295
    I find Jet's work incredibly inspiring. It reinforces the idea that it is not so much the tool, but the person using it. And that if you are willing to put in the time and effort, you can excel in your craft. So no matter which 3D program you choose to use, you can succeed if you work hard enough and have discipline. That he uses LW is icing on the cake for me because that's the program I have chosen to put my time and effort into learning, and that's why I tend to be defensive of it. It will get me where I want to go, but I'm the one who has to do the work to get there.

    I am thrilled to see his work and will continue to spread the word where I can. LW truly has a place in 3D and film history and I hope it continues to.

  11. #41
    RETROGRADER prometheus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    sweden stockholm
    Posts
    17,386
    Quote Originally Posted by gdkeast View Post
    I find Jet's work incredibly inspiring. It reinforces the idea that it is not so much the tool, but the person using it. And that if you are willing to put in the time and effort, you can excel in your craft. So no matter which 3D program you choose to use, you can succeed if you work hard enough and have discipline. That he uses LW is icing on the cake for me because that's the program I have chosen to put my time and effort into learning, and that's why I tend to be defensive of it. It will get me where I want to go, but I'm the one who has to do the work to get there.

    I am thrilled to see his work and will continue to spread the word where I can. LW truly has a place in 3D and film history and I hope it continues to.
    Thatīs what I tried to emphasize in some of his other threads.
    Will, mentality, discipline a good artistic sense, and a knowledge of the tool you use..and you can do a lot with many different software out there.
    It could probably be summed up as..

    3D world in general:
    "Jet is a man of focus, commitment, sheer will... something a few men outside the movie industry know very little about. We once saw him create three props for a movie,... with Lightwave, with the f...ng Lightwave.

    And film history always starts with making film for the future.

  12. #42
    Not so newbie member lardbros's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    England
    Posts
    6,056
    On the topic of cool work, there's some new posts in the LightWave gallery which are really nice... and a cool spider render from Jet Cooper too.
    https://www.lightwave3d.com/community/gallery/

    I didn't realise they kept this updated still, but it's nice to see some good quality renders in there!
    LairdSquared | 3D Design & Animation

    Desk Work:
    HP Z840, Dual Xeon E5-2690 v2, 32GB RAM, Quadro K5000 4GB
    Desk Home:
    HP Z620, Dual Xeon E5-2680, 80GB RAM, Geforce 1050 Ti 4GB

  13. #43
    Not so newbie member lardbros's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    England
    Posts
    6,056
    Also, just do a search for Jet on the gallery and his incredible work shines very brightly.

    The centurion watch is a stunning model and absolutely beautiful render. Great stuff!!
    LairdSquared | 3D Design & Animation

    Desk Work:
    HP Z840, Dual Xeon E5-2690 v2, 32GB RAM, Quadro K5000 4GB
    Desk Home:
    HP Z620, Dual Xeon E5-2680, 80GB RAM, Geforce 1050 Ti 4GB

  14. #44
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    597
    Quote Originally Posted by prometheus View Post
    From my perspective, I think everything needs to go to another dimension, and that it is obviously so that the LW community and artists, hobbyist is a major contributing factor ..also for marketing as these posts by Jet also putīs the spotlight on.

    And as such I mean, completely redo the lightwave forums, this forum needs to be more vibrant and can be so, but not under a forum neglectance or unwillingness to maintain or update refresh it all by the hands of Newtek staff.
    The whole gallery section needs fixing to be up front your face when arriving here, including adds for other lw sites, plugins.
    vimeo linking to videos embedded needs fixing...it isnīt working on these forums.

    Image size when attaching files needs to be bigger, and even selecting multiple files at once instead of one for each upload.
    And from my perspective, a completely seperate forum main menu, where you split tricaster and other products in to one menu, and one for lightwave, or at least a serious restructure of the sections to be more in focus and gathered.

    When lurking a certain other software forum(not the one below though), I am a bit shocked that it works so nicely while here it just doesnīt.

    It isnīt exactly a pleasure to post images or videos from vimeo on these pages, and share experiments, test renders etc.

    https://michaeli65.wixsite.com/lightwave-forum
    Yes; I enjoy the community of these forums, but the UX, color scheme, and various handling methods are severely dated.

    One thing that bothers me to no end is being signed out after a certain amount of time.

    As a general rule, I sign in to these forums daily and check them throughout the day while working. However, after an unspecified amount of time, I am signed out of the forum (without notification) and as a general rule, I only realize it when I'm trying to reply to a post.

    On occasion, I get signed out in the middle of replying to a post.

    What is the purpose of that? I mean, if it was a user load issue, I might understand, but given the sheer amount of cheap storage available today and the limited number of active users of these forums, that concept also seems pretty antiquated.

    These forums most definitely need a radical upgrade.

  15. #45
    Beautiful portfolio pieces Jet! You mention that you used Lightwave Modeler specifically. Does this imply that you use other application(s) for texturing, shading and rendering? Or do you simply stick to the modeling aspect and turn over the texturing and rendering to a different team which I know is the case in many production pipelines. Just curious.
    Gary Chike

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •