Thread: Original Movie Kylo Sabre

Original Movie Kylo Sabre

This is the file made to use Kylo's Sabre for Star Wars 7. At the time, it was designed by JJ Abrams, myself and James Enright.
    This was modelled using Lightwave. Parts were 3D printed and metal plated to produce the screen used props.

As a point of interest, I used Lightwave to design the New Order Stormtrooper Blasters, Rifles and Taster baton.
    Lightwave was used to produce weapons and hero props. Shame it is not used by Newtek to promote Lightwave.....

Regards, JetClick image for larger version. 

Name:	KR_Jet Cooper 2017.jpg 
Views:	76 
Size:	897.0 KB 
ID:	147807Click image for larger version. 

Name:	KR_Jet Cooper 2017 Final.jpg 
Views:	81 
Size:	981.7 KB 
ID:	147808

Quote Originally Posted by Jet3D View Post
    This is the file made to use Kylo's Sabre for Star Wars 7. At the time, it was designed by JJ Abrams, myself and James Enright.
    This was modelled using Lightwave. Parts were 3D printed and metal plated to produce the screen used props.

As a point of interest, I used Lightwave to design the New Order Stormtrooper Blasters, Rifles and Taster baton.
    Lightwave was used to produce weapons and hero props. Shame it is not used by Newtek to promote Lightwave.....

Regards, JetClick image for larger version. 

Name:	KR_Jet Cooper 2017.jpg 
Views:	76 
Size:	897.0 KB 
ID:	147807Click image for larger version. 

Name:	KR_Jet Cooper 2017 Final.jpg 
Views:	81 
Size:	981.7 KB 
ID:	147808
    Didnīt know..and yes, sadly not noticed it seems.
    Great ..thanks for that info, will have a closer look at it.

Wich year was it that the prints and design were made?

Quote Originally Posted by prometheus View Post
    Didnīt know..and yes, sadly not noticed it seems.
    Great ..thanks for that info, will have a closer look at it.

Wich year was it that the prints and design were made?
    The year before the release of the film. Not just weapons either - part of the Falcon and cockpit were also produced this way, as was the interior of the Tie Fighters...
    On Bladerunner 2049, My senior modeller used Lightwave to build the spinners. The bodies of the cars were CNC cut from the 3D files. I modelled the lighting and addons, including the full interiors.
    The 3D models were used to produce the dash, seats..... everything.

You know..if you manage to get Newtek to notice you more, it should be up on the new page by the way..itīs not been updated for ages, except for perhaps the latest LW release.
    What I would like to see from newtek is a better showcase page, where each movie for instance will hold reveals on how Lightwave actually was used.
    it all becomes so general without a true description on how Lightwave fits in a workflow..when all movies are rabbled up..without any connection to how it was used..so I think they should work on that.

On the other hand, that I have been saying for several years.

Hopefully, Jet will reply in the affirmative to the pm I sent him

B
    Ben Vost - NewTek LightWave 3D development
    LightWave 3D Trial Edition
    AMD Threadripper 1950X, Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, 32GB RAM, nVidia GeForce GTX 1050Ti (4GB and 768 CUDA cores) and GTX 1080 (8GB and 2560 CUDA cores) driver version 430.86
    AMD FX8350 4.2 GHz, Windows 7 SP1 Home Premium 64-bit, 16GB RAM, nVidia GeForce GTX 1050Ti (416.34, 4GB and 768 CUDA cores)
    Dell Server, Windows 10 Pro, Intel Xeon E3-1220 @3.10 GHz, 8 GB RAM, Quadro K620
    Laptop with Intel i7, nVidia Quadro 2000Mw/ 2GB (377.83 and 192 CUDA cores), Windows 10 Professional 64-bit, 8GB RAM
    Mac Mini 2.26 GHz Core 2 Duo, 4 GB RAM, 10.10.3

Quote Originally Posted by BeeVee View Post
    Hopefully, Jet will reply in the affirmative to the pm I sent him

B
    I did mate and I am happy to help.

I agree with you both - it is a real loss when I look at the Lightwave site to see news that has not been updated for years. No wonder people in my industry say, I thought Lightwave was gone these days.
    I would post more but I didn't want to saturate the forum with my junk. I can't show any current work either. I am happy to share old released work and private projects though if it helps.

Thank you for you time and energy,

Jet

awesome stuff. Its crazy that NT doesn't promote quality work in such high profile projects.
    You have to wonder if they are intentionally trying to kill it off?

You do realise we have to know about things to promote them? If I'd known that Kylo Ren's light sabre was made in LightWave I would have shouted it from the rooftops but people are constrained by NDAs not to share. I wrote the story about David Ridlen's excellent work on Green Book as soon as I knew about it, but that was still way after the release of the film, and after the Oscar win. This is even the first I knew about Deckard's Peugeot being a LightWave creation. That's somewhat newer than The Force Awakens from 2015 with BladeRunner 2049 coming out in 2017 but you see the delay?

B
    Ben Vost - NewTek LightWave 3D development
    LightWave 3D Trial Edition
    AMD Threadripper 1950X, Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, 32GB RAM, nVidia GeForce GTX 1050Ti (4GB and 768 CUDA cores) and GTX 1080 (8GB and 2560 CUDA cores) driver version 430.86
    AMD FX8350 4.2 GHz, Windows 7 SP1 Home Premium 64-bit, 16GB RAM, nVidia GeForce GTX 1050Ti (416.34, 4GB and 768 CUDA cores)
    Dell Server, Windows 10 Pro, Intel Xeon E3-1220 @3.10 GHz, 8 GB RAM, Quadro K620
    Laptop with Intel i7, nVidia Quadro 2000Mw/ 2GB (377.83 and 192 CUDA cores), Windows 10 Professional 64-bit, 8GB RAM
    Mac Mini 2.26 GHz Core 2 Duo, 4 GB RAM, 10.10.3

You do realise we have to know about things to promote them? If I'd known that Kylo Ren's light sabre was made in LightWave I would have shouted it from the rooftops but people are constrained by NDAs not to share. I wrote the story about David Ridlen's excellent work on Green Book as soon as I knew about it, but that was still way after the release of the film, and after the Oscar win. This is even the first I knew about Deckard's Peugeot being a LightWave creation. That's somewhat newer than The Force Awakens from 2015 with BladeRunner 2049 coming out in 2017 but you see the delay?

B
    Itīs a dilemma, and something to take a look at, why is that?...is that the only way it can get noticed for Newtek to use as promotional material.. that artists themself contacts you and tell about it..and if such, if Jet says itīs a shame...without having told you about all this, is there somekind of misunderstanding that his work shold have made the buzz anyway?

Just wondering why that in such case have been so unheard so to speak?
    Seems there were more Newtek ..or lw artists connected to the Big blockbuster events previously, and if that has deminished a lot the latest years, there will not be people connecting and finding out.
    But I am just speculating..I do not know that business enough.

Great to see the work heīs been part of though, and there will probably be a lot of material to compile.

You do realise we have to know about things to promote them?

B
    And ..I wonder, jet has posted art before...but unoticed, it doesnīt necessary validates that Jet has informed you guys, or that the images alone would do it..but anyway, a look at them and contacting the artist to see what the heck they do for living or for the industry perhaps?
    but I suspect..people resources, thatīs the trick.

https://www.lightwave3d.com/communit...or/Jet/Cooper/

Often when someone is working on a high-end project it becomes an open secret in the user community, which makes it fairly easy for the developer to notice. Unfortunately, my impression (formed by talking to some of these, not just my own observations) is that a significant number of 'the best of the best' stopped frequenting these forums years ago, primarily due to the cacophony of detractors and in some case their vitriol.

For what it's worth, I do think it's considerably better these days - but maybe too little too late. (And since someone else will likely point it out, yes I'm aware that others moved on for other reasons; but I'm responding specifically regarding the matter of recognition of high-level work, not unrelated complaints.)
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator
    ("You've got to ask yourself one question ... 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, spammer?")

Hi guys,

I don't seek the credits. That's is more important for those new to the industry that have to establish a work portfolio to get constant work.

I am old guys.... I am now fifty one - I have established a network of directors and art director that reach out. I am always busy.....except for lockdown lol.

I hope I have not misunderstood - I am letting you know why I don't ask for credits. Apparently, all I have to do is contact and ask for validation.
    I have never been bothered as I am a small cog in a giant machine of talented professionals.

I am satisfied with a wardrobe of crew jackets, free red carpet tickets and recognition at the studios.

Regards, Jet

I am satisfied with a wardrobe of crew jackets, free red carpet tickets and recognition at the studios.
    Thank you for sharing both the fruit of your labors and your personal reflections here. It brought a smile to my face when you mentioned your A1000 (for me it was an A500). How pleasant that the spirit of those amazing times and that vibrant community continue to reverberate well into this (exciting if somewhat insane) new century. (Fifty one? Just barely out of your teens, mate, the best is still ahead!)
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator
    ("You've got to ask yourself one question ... 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, spammer?")

Hi guys,

I don't seek the credits. That's is more important for those new to the industry that have to establish a work portfolio to get constant work.

I am old guys.... I am now fifty one - I have established a network of directors and art director that reach out. I am always busy.....except for lockdown lol.

I hope I have not misunderstood - I am letting you know why I don't ask for credits. Apparently, all I have to do is contact and ask for validation.
    I have never been bothered as I am a small cog in a giant machine of talented professionals.

Regards, Jet
    what a guy.

Hi guys,

Regards, Jet
    fifty one? thatīs nothing, myself turning 55 in oktober...just learning to communicating with other community members
    And really, You should throw in demands on a free pizza every friday..or something healthier perhaps

Lovely stuff from you anyway Jet, I hope people here will be inspired by it all.