Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Lightwave vdb crash, then..All my Lightwave personal content is GONE.

Quote Originally Posted by gar26lw View Post

And read up about this stuff before doing anything. Look at several how to's

Do a bit of googling and you will get some decent advice
    And if you have read previous post, I and others clearly have described to not save on the drive.

Not necessary to look in to all that, ive done backups before and saved several hard drives with full systems.

And in this case, I actually didnīt even do a copy of the drive before recovering, I didnīt have any other drive with enough space to do so, so perhaps a bit of a gamble, but recovering shouldnīt do anything to the sectors it is recovering from.
    So a simple recuva recover, and it all just worked great, so I both saved time and saving space.

but thanks for the all the advice ..though itīs all been taken care of now.

I switched to raid 1 after a week of pain

Quote Originally Posted by gar26lw View Post
    Late to the party but my 2c, 4wiw

DON'T save anything to the affected drive. I had a power spike that caused multiple drives to fail recently on two computers and tried several tools mentioned above with no luck.

THE too that recovered data when others wouldn't used on 3 separate drives was GetDataBack Pro.
    I strongly recommend it!

https://www.runtime.org/data-recovery-software.htm

recovered 10 TB with no hitch

Be careful with ChkDsk if you have a drive issue. Try TestDisk first.

https://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/TestDisk_Step_By_Step

And read up about this stuff before doing anything. Look at several how to's

Do a bit of googling and you will get some decent advice
    nice info there. Thank You! 
    LW vidz   DPont donate   LW Facebook   IKBooster   My vidz

what ssd do you have? because ive just had drastic things happen not related to lightwave, but has had a similar effect of just deleting personal files, im wondering if its a windows update screw up
    Intel i9 7980xe, Asus Rampage Vi extreme, 2x NVIDIA GTX1070ti, 64GB DDR4 3200 corsair vengeance,
    http://digitawn.co.uk https://www.shapeways.com/shops/digi...ction=Cars&s=0

That's just too scary Prom. Did you ever figure out what actually triggered the initial crash?
    Earth can't be flat otherwise cats would have pushed everything off the edge!

The Big Apexx System:
    AMD RYZEN THREADRIPPER 2990WX Processor (3.00GHz)
    64GB
    2x NVIDIA Quadro RTX 4000 8GB 32 Core

Many years ago I was dual booting Linux / Windows both accessing the same hardrive, made the mistake to delete a directory in Linux with the force flag.. windows folder deleted, contents bye bye.. never again

Considering this is the last I heard from our friend anyway, I suspect it was a bit more serious.
    Earth can't be flat otherwise cats would have pushed everything off the edge!

The Big Apexx System:
    AMD RYZEN THREADRIPPER 2990WX Processor (3.00GHz)
    64GB
    2x NVIDIA Quadro RTX 4000 8GB 32 Core

nah, he is active over at [B] forum

Quote Originally Posted by Ma3rk View Post
    Considering this is the last I heard from our friend anyway, I suspect it was a bit more serious.
    Hi Ma3rk,

Iīm just fine, and after several days of no lw forum activity..I broke that the other day with some post in the 1001 ways to use blender and Lightwave together.
    Sorry I wasnīt up to responding, I made a decision to completely shut down all my forum activities here on the forums..and there are 10 or more reasons I felt I had to do that, those reasons I will reveal later perhaps and perhaps on youtube or on my own site or forum, but I had a bit of a falling back in to this forum these latest days.

But..You may not see me here at all for weeks or months, or more..depends on if there is something of such magnitude that just draws me back in here, so sorry not being able to be here and comment on hair or other daz related stuff..perhaps later.

The crash I do not know what it was, Ivé been fiddling a bit more with the vdbīs and not many crashes..and the content intact, and I did manage to restore all the files that was deleted with the free recura recovery software.
    So all is fine, but I need to focus on another tool much more, and I will be more active on that blenderartist.org forum as well.
    My profile over there is M65 ...since my alias over here was taken I think.

yeah, i might be a bit less active also.
    nothing to do with LightWave itself, just focusing a bit on other things.

we'll see, i might be right, i might be wrong.
    most "NT-offline" i went was 6 months. few noticed.

Quote Originally Posted by erikals View Post
    yeah, i might be a bit less active also.
    nothing to do with LightWave itself, just focusing a bit on other things.

we'll see, i might be right, i might be wrong.
    most "NT-offline" i went was 6 months. few noticed.
    Among all the reasons, time management and excluding what I think have been too much time on forums is one of the reasons, and my mailbox is easier to go through and keep clean, saving a little time on that..
    and I can spend more time out in the nature to study lighting and nature..and get excercise while doing so, so less time in front of the computer is needed, even though I say to myself ..that more time is needed with various 3D tools, so the equation doesnīt add up to what I want.

But the health is more important, and this is just as good time as any since I believe lightwave and the drastic changes they made needs to mature much much more before I may find it exciting again,
    perhaps 3-5 years from now, or not.
    So when that happens I could start working more with it, now isnīt the time though and not when so many other tech also have arrived and grown to be so much more powerful.

And I donīt enjoy how this forum is handled anymore(attitude from some members, as well as the forum function)...ergo, trying to shut down all activity as much as possible..even avoiding entering interesting topics or helping out when I know the answer to some stuff, itīs a bit sad in a way..but I/we canīt have it both.

Now..I said I will be more on the blenderartist.org forum, but for my own sake..I hope I will not just replace this forum with that..I do not wanīt to be too active over there either..spending all my time arguing over there.

Ouch... but nice to hear you got your stuff back. Yeah, Recuva have saved me more than once.. I too had a massive crash last week. it took me two whole days to get everything back again.. I usually do weekly backups.. but because of work I hadn't for three months. That would've have been an immeasurable loss (working on my own things) but luckily I too am back on track (and backup taken ) In my case I found out my RTX 2080ti is blowing air out the back straight onto the motherboard. Unfortunately there is an I/O chip right there that handles drive communication.... ooops! I can't help wondering if others suffer from unexplained crashes, and they too have RTX cards? Lesson learned..

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelT View Post
    Ouch... but nice to hear you got your stuff back. Yeah, Recuva have saved me more than once.. I too had a massive crash last week. it took me two whole days to get everything back again.. I usually do weekly backups.. but because of work I hadn't for three months. That would've have been an immeasurable loss (working on my own things) but luckily I too am back on track (and backup taken ) In my case I found out my RTX 2080ti is blowing air out the back straight onto the motherboard. Unfortunately there is an I/O chip right there that handles drive communication.... ooops! I can't help wondering if others suffer from unexplained crashes, and they too have RTX cards? Lesson learned..
    Ooh,
    Well ..you managed ok anyway..good to be warned with a little sweety mishaps I guess, to further stress on you to do backups regulary.
    As for RTX, none here..so I can not take advantage of the realtime preview noise reduction in blender with RTX cards, and I do not plan to invest in a new stationary computer until this Asus Rog G20B gtx 1080 gives up on me..or if I suddenly get a better purse, but otherwise I excpect this computer will have to do for 3 maybe 5 years more, but then it will probably be time for a new stationary one.
    However..I may invest in a new portable computer, since I still havenīt done something to correct my older one...so RTX cards will probably be a choice of mine, and I will take note of the issues you described, thanks.

so I can not take advantage of the realtime preview noise reduction in blender with RTX cards,
    for animation, it is limited what that can do.
    they still haven't made a proper algorithm for animated flicker. you'd actually be much better of doing it in post with a temporal video denoiser.
    i (and others) have been testing this quite a lot.
    if you want film quality that is.

you have been "warned"  

Quote Originally Posted by erikals View Post

for animation, it is limited what that can do.
    they still haven't made a proper algorithm for animated flicker. you'd actually be much better of doing it in post with a temporal video denoiser.
    i (and others) have been testing this quite a lot.
    if you want film quality that is.

you have been "warned"  
    Oh..no, I would only have use for it in preview visualisation as seeing how a frame finally would look like mostly..with good speed, for final renders I would go with the post noise reduction or video denoising as you mentioned.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast