Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Lightwave vdb crash, then..All my Lightwave personal content is GONE.

Lightwave vdb crash, then..All my Lightwave personal content is GONE.

A potential huge loss, and donīt forget to backup, which I was about to do ..but havenīt done so enough and often.

just was about to mess around with the gas solver again today, cleared cache grid, and boom, crash, tried again, then boom crash.
    Checking for some other scenes to load in to lightwave..and what the f, almost everything is gone, a new folder is created with this days date, and only some few scenes left from 2019??

I wonder what happened here, if I can recover it by scanning that drive, or if it somehow has been moved to some other folder, but all this happen a few minutes ago, right after the crash.

Maybe a reboot and see if it restores.
    All content was on a secondary drive.

So all my conten..just gone, and I am right now cursing that I havenīt done th backup properly.
    This got to be related to Lightwave and clearing the grid cache located in My personal "PROMETHEUS CONTENT"

All just gone..loads of cloud setups..those were the most valuable stuff for me"

Any suggestions for a free recovery tool, or a cheap good one.

Many years ago on windows 2000, I used stellar recovery tools to recover a drive that not even windows could read directly, but parsing the scan of the drive through stellar recovery..helped me save pretty much the whole hard drive at that time.

Just tested their newer windows version in demo mode, and it found these files, and very much so, a couple of the folders are deleted from this day, but oddly..the scene folder is marked as non deleted, and perhaps so..because the folder is there, but almost all content in there is deleted, so the question is if it can recover that..and what the heck happened to them?
    Unfortunately I can not see how much it could recover from that folder that isnīt deleted..that is what I need to be recovered, maybe it canīt locate any files from there.

But before I order this recovery software, do you guys have a recommendation of any free recovery tool? or a cheaper one that works great?
    Im pretty sure it can restore these files that are listed as deleted, but the files that magicly disappeared in the scene folder ..I do not know.

As you can see..my folders were deleted around the same time my crashing with lightwave, and when I cleared cache from the VDB tools.

Otherwise this is the one I refered to...stellar recovery costs a little over 86 USD.

https://www.stellarinfo.com/europe/WDR-PRO/buy-now.php

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	stellar data recovery demo.jpg 
Views:	427 
Size:	154.8 KB 
ID:	147799

there is no sanctuary....
    Ouch! Any chance you turned on file history along the way and forgot about it?
    Bill Carey

3900X 3.79
    Win10 Pro 64bit
    32gig Ram
    AMD 5700XT 8gb 20.4.2
    LW 2020.02 x64
    Space Navigator

Recuva has a free version but I don't know the limitations. The advanced version is 20€
    https://www.ccleaner.com/recuva

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Carey View Post
    Ouch! Any chance you turned on file history along the way and forgot about it?
    Nope..not activated, and of course, stupid of me not to have made backups..I was planning to do that this week, but strangely..the system or faith seem to have felt this and played a trick on me just because of that.

The files I have worked on would have helped me with a lot of stuff, but then again..they are not essential either, I could work out new ones..and have to accept some scenes and artwork may be gone though.
    But I will let it pass a few days, will reboot and check folders here and there and the lightwave dmp file to see wether or not the time of deletion of the folders seen in the stellar recovery scans, matches the dmp crash logs from lightwave.

What I did when this crash happen, I actually had blender opened, and had vdb files set up, then I loaded a vdb gas solver file in lightwave, and I tried to copy the text path from the path of the cache folder, and paste it in to blenders load path for the cache files...perhaps something happened if I instead of copy did a ctrl cut of the path..and if that somehow affected the whole scene content..I donīt know, but its weird..as seen all the folder contents within the "prometheus content" was almost removed, except for a few ones, but the scene folder is there, but only with some very old scene files and not the later ones.

Weird though that I do not get a full scan or result back with special named folders within the scenefile folder, content project names.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Mastoy View Post
    Recuva has a free version but I don't know the limitations. The advanced version is 20€
    https://www.ccleaner.com/recuva
    Thanks, much appreciated..Iīll let you know once I have done a scan...currently I am doing a deep scan of the secondary drive to see what shows up, and I have many of the scenefiles in my memory so I will look for those to show up..if it finds it, and no other free software or cheaper one does the same, then I have to puchase stellar recovery.

I posted a link to this thread over on the LW FB group as my own data recovery skills are a bit rusty to put it mildly. The first reply might be of use:

James Willmott If you check the OS temp folder there should be a lwhub folder in it, that the Hub uses to transport data to and from Modeler/Layout. If you use the hub it can sometimes be a source of recoverable models but beyond that don't use the drive where the lost data is until you can get file recovery software onto it.
    Kevin F Stubbs

Remember...one size does NOT fit all

Ouch... This is serious!

I've used file recovery tools in the past, you just need to make sure you don't write anything to that drive! It's currently reporting that the table of contents is empty, but the files will still be there.

I think there are free recovery tools available, hang on, I'll dig out the one I used.
    It saved my life once while at university when I shift deleted a load of files by accident

I really hope you get this stuff back...
    I'll dig out the tool I used and get back to you.
    LairdSquared | 3D Design & Animation

Desk Work:
    HP Z840, Dual Xeon E5-2690 v2, 32GB RAM, Quadro K5000 4GB
    Desk Home:
    HP Z620, Dual Xeon E5-2680, 80GB RAM, Geforce 1050 Ti 4GB

I've successfully used the Minitool Power Data Recovery several times on Windows 7:

https://www.minitool.com/data-recove...r-windows.html

I use Acronis for backups to a local, external USB 3.0 1TB drive. It works well. I don't schedule backups, but at the end of each day select the "Plan" and Run Now. I've successfully recovered files and folders from it several times, although I've never done a full disk recovery.

Good luck!
    mTp

Quote Originally Posted by lardbros View Post
    Ouch... This is serious!

I've used file recovery tools in the past, you just need to make sure you don't write anything to that drive! It's currently reporting that the table of contents is empty, but the files will still be there.

I think there are free recovery tools available, hang on, I'll dig out the one I used.
    It saved my life once while at university when I shift deleted a load of files by accident

I really hope you get this stuff back...
    I'll dig out the tool I used and get back to you.
    Yes I know about not writing to that drive, I think it should be ok to delete though..that will not overwrite any sectors, otherwise it wouldnīt even be possible to recover.

Much appreciated if you have the time to locate what you used to use.

This scares me though, I think I have a vague recall of some other people here getting folders deleted when using lightwave..if that now could be the cause of it.

Right now a full deep scan of the D drive is made, around 79 % completed..so maybe an half hour left to see if the individual files show up.
    After than I will try the recuva and then some other tips here.

Might even share some scenefiles if they are recovered

Quote Originally Posted by MonroePoteet View Post
    I've successfully used the Minitool Power Data Recovery several times on Windows 7:

https://www.minitool.com/data-recove...r-windows.html

I use Acronis for backups to a local, external USB 3.0 1TB drive. It works well. I don't schedule backups, but at the end of each day select the "Plan" and Run Now. I've successfully recovered files and folders from it several times, although I've never done a full disk recovery.

Good luck!
    mTp
    Thanks for the link, will check.

And yes, I have several external drives, seagate and western digitial, and usually manually back things up..which requires discipline and you may loose out if not doing it with a schedule, but I got so much else of full youtube vids that I need to order and go through, after that I had the plan of backing up everything..but I was too late.

previously I have had whole computers crashing, but had everything backup up with a simple windows backup imagery within xp ..and that worked to recover absolutely everything.

Guess I have been fooled in to security as windows 10 seem to have been very stable and not crashing, though lightwave does..I just wonder, if itīs just by an accident everything is erasad upon using lightwave at the same time and clearing cache path, when all this occours within the same time? and that was all I was doing in principle with the computer today.

Quote Originally Posted by prometheus View Post
    Yes I know about not writing to that drive, I think it should be ok to delete though..that will not overwrite any sectors, otherwise it wouldnīt even be possible to recover...
    Deleting will indeed include writes (disk writes to indicate data is no longer needed..."delete" doesn't actually "delete"). So try not to delete anything when repairing/recovering a drive. Copy what you can to a new drive. Then run recovery. Then again copy what you can to a new drive.

I like TestDisk and there are some other good options here:
    https://techtalk.gfi.com/top-20-free...for-sysadmins/
    LW4, 7.5D, 2015, 2018, 2019, 2020 running portably on a USB drive.
    Active LW Development in 2020: DB&W | Deep FX | DPont | LWCAD | TrueArt | ...

Quote Originally Posted by raymondtrace View Post
    Deleting will indeed include writes (disk writes to indicate data is no longer needed..."delete" doesn't actually "delete"). So try not to delete anything when repairing/recovering a drive. Copy what you can to a new drive. Then run recovery. Then again copy what you can to a new drive.

I like TestDisk and there are some other good options here:
    https://techtalk.gfi.com/top-20-free...for-sysadmins/
    (FOUND THE FILES, BUT YET DELETED..)

Hmm..that I found odd, deleting should only register it as deleted, and as long as the drive isnīt written on with new data..and not write over anything really..as you yourself jus pointed out, so that I do not understand? would kind of making it impossible to recover data otherwise, which we know isnīt the case.

And ..the first scan I did could not open the still available scene folder to showcase if there was anything deleted, I did a deep scant..and just like that, there they are ...
    See images, I could expand on the folder that wasnīt marked as deleted, but inside it..all the files are marked as deleted, and should be recoverable.
    I will try the free tools provide from you guys...and if not working, probably a quic purchase of stellar recovery, since the scan worked and I have used a version for older machines before with great success.

and a look at the folders reminds me that I need to clean up the folders and do a proper folder structure and content management.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Stellar recovery Deep scan.jpg 
Views:	325 
Size:	525.3 KB 
ID:	147801

It seems the one I used no longer exists... shame.

I'll keep my fingers crossed for you... nothing like a deletion of ALL your work to bring you out in a cold sweat!!!
    LairdSquared | 3D Design & Animation

Desk Work:
    HP Z840, Dual Xeon E5-2690 v2, 32GB RAM, Quadro K5000 4GB
    Desk Home:
    HP Z620, Dual Xeon E5-2680, 80GB RAM, Geforce 1050 Ti 4GB

Quote Originally Posted by lardbros View Post
    It seems the one I used no longer exists... shame.

I'll keep my fingers crossed for you... nothing like a deletion of ALL your work to bring you out in a cold sweat!!!
    Itīs just a reminder that learning to let go of everything you possibly can, cause nothing lasts in your life..and adapt to a tibetian munk philosophy, do a nice sandpainting..erase it ..and learnīt to go on in life happy even if beauty is lost, or as yoda says..learn to let go of everything you hold dear.

But Yeah..I got a little sweaty, but Ivé been there before and managed to save stuff.

So now off to buy a new external drive, and copy all content from the d:drive, then run the recovery tool on that folder only

Thanks you guys for jumping in with tips on how to recover.

Quote Originally Posted by prometheus View Post
    Hmm..that I found odd, deleting should only register it as deleted, and as long as the drive isnīt written on with new data..and not write over anything really..as you yourself jus pointed out, so that I do not understand? would kind of making it impossible to recover data otherwise, which we know isnīt the case....
    Registering something as deleted requires some data to be written to the drive. If the file system has block errors that are causing important files to vanish, you don't want to keep messing with it by writing additional file deletes to the blocks while you're cleaning up. Recover first, then clean/delete unwanted files.

Do very little tampering with the current drive until the cause is fully understood. Are you certain it was a software issue that deleted the files or could there be a physical drive failure?
    LW4, 7.5D, 2015, 2018, 2019, 2020 running portably on a USB drive.
    Active LW Development in 2020: DB&W | Deep FX | DPont | LWCAD | TrueArt | ...

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast