Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Unreal 5 !

Quote Originally Posted by erikals View Post
    regarding ArchViz in Unity, saw this ?

Afaik Unity still doesn't have a proper tilt-shift camera. It uses a shader to create the effect, but that really isn't the same thing, as it only blurs. You're missing the whole perspective change because you're looking from an offset on a twisted plane. Which is a big deal in Arch-Viz as far as I know. I'm not an Arch-Viz guy myself.. but I'm certain one of you whom are one, could correct me on that?

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelT View Post
    Go with UE, not only is the license waived until you make $1mil you also have free access to the entire Quixel library if you use UE. And in a few months V5 will land in your lap for free as well. Then you'll have access to a whole new level of particle support too.
    From my experience, Unity is a lot more accessible and faster for development. Unreal will look better out of the box but requires technical knowledge to get the best out of it and is really setup for larger team projects with its specific way of working. I prefer Unreals version control integration over unitys (re Unity: have found source tree and git with lfs to be the best so far, there, SVN and perforce are ok too)
    I like unreals material instancing but node networks are a pain for setup, Unity is much easier and quicker with the option to use both. Think modo surface list vs lightwave node editor. Modo list view is much faster with drag/drop workflow. Have a decent cpu for unreal as its constant compiling can really slow you down. Build and deploy is nicer in unity, scripts and tools better too, to enhance it, like the Virtual Escapes LWO/LWS importers.

TLDR :
    Unity = LW 2015.3
    Unreal = LW 2020 :P

Now that a day has passed I just want to mention the hoopla over an old 'real time' demo from the way way back. In 2012 Square Enix presented a trailer of Agni's Philosophy to promote their real-time capabilities with their Luminous Engine. But the trailer supposedly took months to render. Agni's Philosophy never took off as a future game. And we got Witch Chapter 0 [Cry] as a newer promotion of their real-time capabilities.

It looked good back then just as UE5's demo looks good now. But whether or not it'll prove to be commerically useable is unknown.

System:

i7-8086K / GTX 1080 / 32GB RAM

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelT View Post
    I mentioned some week ago how we're at diminishing returns when it comes to rendering via tools like UE, and now you know I also stand by what I said back then.. LW needs to up the animation tech.. in particular character animation. It's not good to have a situation where Maya is essentially the only game in town... it isn't healthy for the business, it isn't healthy for any related business.
    Layout needs to be great at layout and anim, for sure. I think once unreal 5 comes out and other tools like it, rendering is gonna be less important.

I actually just switched from Unity to Unreal. It seems Unreal has so much going for it straight out of the box. The templates are so much more advanced in Unreal and just work. Also, I don't seem to have so much trouble with backward compatibility. In Unity, when a new version would come out, I'd always have issues if I tried to update my current project to the new version. Both are good programs, but Unreal seems to be, IMHO, the way to go if you are wanting something to look cinematic straightaway. Unity can get you there too as Adam shows:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GXI0l3yqBrA, but I'm really liking the way Unreal is going.

gdkeast, i will try to do the same.. What kind of advices you may share with us about switching ? from a LWer pov it will be so valuable feedback ..

Quote Originally Posted by gar26lw View Post
    Layout needs to be great at layout and anim, for sure. I think once unreal 5 comes out and other tools like it, rendering is gonna be less important.
    CPU rendering is probably always going to be important for flexibility when you have the computing power to throw at it. Gpu solutions are in my admittedly limited experience still far less flexible. If I had to guess I would say that the dedicated gpu renderers are the ones that have the most to fear from the likes of unreal. If Arnold and lightwave and the like are advertising raw power, flexibility, and extend-ability and unreal even now is offering near photorealism at real-time speeds what exactly do the octanes of the world have to offer? Some mix of the two I guess. Is that a strong sell?

yes I think unreal might push out octane for some stuff

An updated bridge should be made available to LW2019 and LW2020 as that feature was touted as a selling point for both. I have been playing around with Unreal and outputting renderings is pretty interesting. You can even delay it between frames if your GPU can't quite do it in real time based on the target frame rate. I am liking it so far, but I know I would like it a ton better if I could latch my LW2019 into the latest Unreal version; but it does not appear that that is going to happen.

But yes this Unreal Engine 5 demo was very impressive.

Home: Hackintosh i7 | 16GB Ram | 1080Ti | OS X 10.13.5/Windows 10

Quote Originally Posted by avkills View Post
    An updated bridge should be made available to LW2019 and LW2020 as that feature was touted as a selling point for both. I have been playing around with Unreal and outputting renderings is pretty interesting. You can even delay it between frames if your GPU can't quite do it in real time based on the target frame rate. I am liking it so far, but I know I would like it a ton better if I could latch my LW2019 into the latest Unreal version; but it does not appear that that is going to happen.

But yes this Unreal Engine 5 demo was very impressive.
    Unreal Engine 4.25 recently came out a two weeks ago. LW2020 has the UE4.24 plug-in. But you're right, they should update the plug-ins constantly.
    System:

i7-8086K / GTX 1080 / 32GB RAM

ok i have installed Unreal 4.25 it is insanely powerful and well thought .. Not super easy but it is so logical and so deep .. I enjoy it. I have checked many tutorial channels but this guy's channel makes me learn even more .. I just post his channel for all Unreal newbees like me.. we need this kinda fire and energy from our video creators...

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC7H...URsw/playlists

Someone decided to replicate the same look and feel in Eevee. I agree that (semi)real-time GPU rendering won't replace full CPU/GPU GI rendering engines for all work, but in a few years time I expect 80% (or more?) of jobs can be done with it.

Comments from the creator:

The past week has been all about UE5 and its powerful realtime rendering capabilities. I decided to test out Blender's own realtime engine called EEVEE. The fact that you can change the lighting in realtime is a huge advantage in art directing a shot.

The Megascan library got updated with the Limestone Quarry assets. Apparently same ones used in the demo. I was able to quickly export those assets and rebuild the shaders using the Quixel Bridge and Blender Link. Used 8K textures on the rocks with normals. Used Physical Starlight addon for the light setup.
    Sourced the very detailed Lion 3d model from MyMiniFactory. It has a fantastic collection of 3d scanned data.
    Win10 64 - i7 [email protected], p6t Deluxe v1, 48gb, Nvidia GTX 1080 8GB, Revodrive X2 240gb, e-mu 1820. Screens: 2 x Samsung s27a850ds 2560x1440, HP 1920x1200 in portrait mode

Quote Originally Posted by Rayek View Post
    Someone decided to replicate the same look and feel in Eevee. ...
    Eevee is nice but it does suffer from artifacts.. but I know it's a work in progress. However, it doesn't have the resources or manpower to compete with Epic and the upcoming UE5, there simply are no two ways around it. Impressive work by the user though..

But we're watching a change in how movies are going to be made in the future.. I think the movie Oblivion was one of the first to use back screens like this (that I know of anyway) Rendering is going to play a much smaller role in the future. It's not going away.. but movies, tv etc.. can't justify running massive renders like they have in the past, when everyone else is turning to realtime using tools like UE4 & 5 (and you can believe some companies already have access to UE5) If LWG aren't shifting focus to animation tools that can aid in making movies using UE5 they're going to miss the boat.

Oh, definitely true. I foresee real-time CG generated TV hosts and other live CG generated shows happening. Augmented faces, clothing, wearables, and so on.

The next step will be to figure out a seamless VR/Augmented reality experience: the existing tech is too inconvenient. Perhaps images will be directly projected on our retinas with some cyberbio tech in the future.
    Win10 64 - i7 [email protected], p6t Deluxe v1, 48gb, Nvidia GTX 1080 8GB, Revodrive X2 240gb, e-mu 1820. Screens: 2 x Samsung s27a850ds 2560x1440, HP 1920x1200 in portrait mode

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast