Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Unreal 5 !

'bit related...

free download.

LW vidz   DPont donate   LightWiki   RHiggit   IKBooster   My vidz

trust me noone cares

And there's more. This time a few snippets about how fast your data storage will need to be to get the best from Unreal Engine 5:

https://www.pcgamer.com/uk/fast-ssd-...etailed-scenes
    Kevin F Stubbs

Remember...one size does NOT fit all

Quote Originally Posted by tyrot View Post
    trust me noone cares
    hm, think i'd beg to differ on that,

Unity is quite big because of its ease of use and Assets.

i did look into Unreal, but found Unity much better (mostly) for a 1 man band.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

...not trying to ditch Unreal 5, it's awesome.
    Last edited by erikals; 05-14-2020 at 09:13 AM.

erikals we can discuss about it - for days I am not on Unreal yet .. but Unity its in current state is a major mass. I daily get support for a project from multiple veteran Unity shader, shadow and other developers .. They all say - Unity is crazy buggy in its core and they do not know what they are doing..

I can write dozens of posts about the moves that they made on their renderer GI solution baking fiascos ...

They have to get their act together..

There is a veteran shader coder - told me - Unity is a ship with 12 captains each has its own direction.. It goes nowhere .. it cannot go anywhere..

So my humble suggestion to you and to myself .. is to learn slowly Unreal .. This new system - Nanite (coolest name ever) will change our workflow - It may even replace Octane and Redshit - there i said it..

Today i was having a meeting with some visual supervisors they all go crazy - some says this software may even replace some features of Resolve - yeah resolve.. Clarisse also in a deep danger .. Unreal will redefine the industry i think we all been waiting for this..

Lets see what will happen in future but Unity gotta accept the defeat and keep its user and asset developer happy -

I mentioned some week ago how we're at diminishing returns when it comes to rendering via tools like UE, and now you know I also stand by what I said back then.. LW needs to up the animation tech.. in particular character animation. It's not good to have a situation where Maya is essentially the only game in town... it isn't healthy for the business, it isn't healthy for any related business.

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelT View Post
    I mentioned some week ago how we're at diminishing returns when it comes to rendering via tools like UE, and now you know I also stand by what I said back then.. LW needs to up the animation tech.. in particular character animation. It's not good to have a situation where Maya is essentially the only game in town... it isn't healthy for the business, it isn't healthy for any related business.
    O "B2 is starting to make it to university places over here in Sweden land, ivé seen a couple of them the latest years..and currently there is a job add for technical developer at linköping university and the open space program with connections to Nasa, and skills with unreal, maya and blender is sought for.

erikals we can discuss about it - for days I am not on Unreal yet .. but Unity its in current state is a major mass. I daily get support for a project from multiple veteran Unity shader, shadow and other developers .. They all say - Unity is crazy buggy in its core and they do not know what they are doing..

I can write dozens of posts about the moves that they made on their renderer GI solution baking fiascos ...

There is a veteran shader coder - told me - Unity is a ship with 12 captains each has its own direction.. It goes nowhere .. it cannot go anywhere..

So my humble suggestion to you and to myself .. is to learn slowly Unreal .. This new system - Nanite (coolest name ever) will change our workflow - It may even replace Octane and Redshit - there i said it..

Today i was having a meeting with some visual supervisors they all go crazy - some says this software may even replace some features of Resolve - yeah resolve.. Clarisse also in a deep danger .. Unreal will redefine the industry i think we all been waiting for this..

Lets see what will happen in future but Unity gotta accept the defeat and keep its user and asset developer happy -
    Unity targets a different demographic, while you certainly can do film in it.. it doesn't reach UE, it's too locked for that currently. Having said that, "currently" is the operative word here.. the Unity team aren't sitting quietly in the corner.. things are happening there too.

Haven´t even installed Unity or Unreal, but I think I have already set my mind on what to dive deeper in to..and that is not unity..even though it may be easier to use.

Quote Originally Posted by prometheus View Post
    Haven´t even installed Unity or Unreal, but I think I have already set my mind on what to dive deeper in to..and that is not unity..even though it may be easier to use.
    Go with UE, not only is the license waived until you make $1mil you also have free access to the entire Quixel library if you use UE. And in a few months V5 will land in your lap for free as well. Then you'll have access to a whole new level of particle support too.

Unity isn't defeated by a mile for mid-end games, it is actually in front of - or sidebyside, Unreal.
    it is simply way faster / simpler to use. (at least from online documentation)

but for rendering animation, sure, Unreal is probably the thing. (minus the issues with game rendering)

that said, the Unreal demo blew my socks off.
    Last edited by erikals; 05-14-2020 at 01:30 PM.

On a more technical note.. what UE5 is doing is mixing technology already in use today. For instance.. their lighting model is using a voxel world to distribute lighting, combined with screenspace reflection. You can actually see this when the character is moving (if you step frame by frame in their video) where you will see how parts of the distant objects changes lighting as the character moves around. You can also see how the voxel parts come into picture when objects that should contribute doesn't.. that's because the area is using the voxel stored lighting, and not the values from the actual object. You can also see other effects.. like their somewhat limited fluid simulation. but I won't make this post a long one. What I'm getting at is that this (while impressive for sure) does have drawbacks. In a movie, you have the option to control said cases, but in a game that is far more tricky. As for their micropolygon tech, you can go to nVidia and download their Asteroids demo, which uses similar technique (or simply watch it on Youtube ) (oh and btw.. you'll need an RTX capable card) And finally.. this UE5 tech is fake radiosity... it isn't real raytracing.. you'd need RTX (or similarly capable) for that.
    Last edited by MichaelT; 05-14-2020 at 02:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelT View Post
    On a more technical note.. what UE5 is doing is mixing technology already in use today. For instance.. their lighting model is using a voxel world to distribute lighting, combined with screenspace reflection. You can actually see this when the character is moving (if you step frame by frame in their video) where you will see how parts of the distant objects changes lighting as the character moves around. You can also see how the voxel parts come into picture when objects that should contribute doesn't.. that's because the area is using the voxel stored lighting, and not the values from the actual object. You can also see other effects.. like their somewhat limited fluid simulation. but I won't make this post a long one. What I'm getting at is that this (while impressive for sure) does have drawbacks. In a movie, you have the option to control said cases, but in a game that is far more tricky. As for their micropolygon tech, you can go to nVidia and download their Asteroids demo, which uses similar technique (or simply watch it on Youtube ) (oh and btw.. you'll need an RTX capable card) And finally.. this UE5 tech is fake radiosity... it isn't real raytracing.. you'd need RTX (or similarly capable) for that.
    thanks Mike for detailed explanation..

Prometheus, i work with Unity for a long long time - i was making archviz some basic mobile games - lately they started to add so many things and break so many other things and for many things if you are in their legacy shader system you gotta buy lots of assets.. which i did.. Now i have tons of assets for baking, shaders, everything possible .. It is a huge mass - Some assets do not work with others , some assets are old, Unity keep updating their engine just for breaking assets i think ..

Think about they started their own visual scripting - then what happened - they purchased Bolt - (a visual scripting) but they are selling it now .. my goodness what kind of INDIE company is that .. you gotta pay for DARK skin - and no splash screen ..

Unity's CEO is the problem he simply destroyed the joy in Unity ecosystem with his neverending race with Unreal .. what happened ? Unreal crushed him like a bug ..

If you wanna do quick archviz - with some BAKE assets (bakery ) and some other cool shaders assets go for Unity FOR now .. But learning everyday Unreal is my new goal .. THat technology has changed everything ...

MichaelT you can go deeper with your posts mate .. : ) it is always good to read experts on these issues..

Unity keep updating their engine just for breaking assets i think ..
    yes, that is one big minus i saw saw. not sure to what extent it goes, only scrubbed the surface.
    but for some stuff, i'd probably hire a programmer/scripter to fix it / make a new version.

ain't got time for either Unreal/Unity at the moment tho'

regarding ArchViz in Unity, saw this ?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast