Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 92

Thread: LW 2019.1.5 vs LW 2020 render time comparison

  1. #1

    LW 2019.1.5 vs LW 2020 render time comparison

    I loaded up the Dragon_CopperVerdigris.lws scene from the LW 2019 content and rendered in 2020 at the default settings it loaded in at. I thought it was taking a bit long to render out so I loaded it into 2019 to see what the render time difference was. To my surprise this scene actually renders almost twice as fast in LW 2019.1.5 than it does in 2020. This scene has no GI and uses a Environment Light so it should be a fairly direct comparison. Does anyone know why LW 2020 is much slower to render this scene?

    I have attached screen grabs below.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Dragon2019vs2020Test.jpg 
Views:	200 
Size:	648.1 KB 
ID:	147734  
    Last edited by Nicolas Jordan; 05-10-2020 at 11:13 AM.
    Threadripper 2990WX, X399 MSI MEG Creation, 64GB 2400Mhz RAM, GTX 1070 Ti 8GB

    https://www.dynamicrenderings.com/

  2. #2
    I also noticed it, for this LW2020 is not very useful for me. It is Enviro Light that slows down render. turn off them and rendering times will be like in LW2019.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Enviro-Light-ON.jpg 
Views:	120 
Size:	271.5 KB 
ID:	147743Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Enviro-Light-OFF.jpg 
Views:	125 
Size:	269.9 KB 
ID:	147742
    Enviro.rar
    Last edited by artzgo; 05-10-2020 at 01:11 PM.
    2D/3D Specialist
    http://www.render-up.com
    Win10 64bit, Dual Xeon E5-2696 V2 @ OC 3,3 GHz per Core, 64GB RAM, 2 x GeForce GTX 1080 Ti

  3. #3
    Quote Originally Posted by artzgo View Post
    I also noticed it, for this LW2020 is not very useful for me. It is Enviro Light that slows down render. turn off them and rendering times will be like in LW2019.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Enviro-Light-ON.jpg 
Views:	120 
Size:	271.5 KB 
ID:	147743Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Enviro-Light-OFF.jpg 
Views:	125 
Size:	269.9 KB 
ID:	147742
    Enviro.rar
    So does than mean that the environment light itself is somehow changed or fundamentally different in LW 2020? It seems to produce the same result but just takes much longer to render things. I knew GI had changed but this scene doesn't use GI at all.
    Last edited by Nicolas Jordan; 05-10-2020 at 01:31 PM.
    Threadripper 2990WX, X399 MSI MEG Creation, 64GB 2400Mhz RAM, GTX 1070 Ti 8GB

    https://www.dynamicrenderings.com/

  4. #4
    Yes, now BackDrop lighting from the Effects tab doesn't work without Enviro Light. And the use of Enviro Light gives a lot more noise and significantly extends the rendering time. In my opinion, this is a very weak solution.
    2D/3D Specialist
    http://www.render-up.com
    Win10 64bit, Dual Xeon E5-2696 V2 @ OC 3,3 GHz per Core, 64GB RAM, 2 x GeForce GTX 1080 Ti

  5. #5
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Europe
    Posts
    278
    The env light is listed as an updated feature in the 2020 docs and someone mentioned that deleting it in old scenes and then adding it again, improved render times. Maybe it is env light 2.0? From the 2020 docs: The Environment light is used to add light from the backdrop for a scene. It is now in new scenes by default with a distant light

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by Free4Ever View Post
    The env light is listed as an updated feature in the 2020 docs and someone mentioned that deleting it in old scenes and then adding it again, improved render times. Maybe it is env light 2.0? From the 2020 docs: The Environment light is used to add light from the backdrop for a scene. It is now in new scenes by default with a distant light
    Based on that it seems like it would only render faster if you delete and re add the environment light because a new light would come in a default settings which are usually much lower so you would get a better render time but lower quality.
    Threadripper 2990WX, X399 MSI MEG Creation, 64GB 2400Mhz RAM, GTX 1070 Ti 8GB

    https://www.dynamicrenderings.com/

  7. #7
    RETROGRADER prometheus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    sweden stockholm
    Posts
    16,793
    Quote Originally Posted by artzgo View Post
    Yes, now BackDrop lighting from the Effects tab doesn't work without Enviro Light. And the use of Enviro Light gives a lot more noise and significantly extends the rendering time. In my opinion, this is a very weak solution.
    Hmm..I use backdrop for lighting GI often, I hope this new method with environment light doesn´t make things slower, or noiser..we´ll see.

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by prometheus View Post
    Hmm..I use backdrop for lighting GI often, I hope this new method with environment light doesn´t make things slower, or noiser..we´ll see.
    Unfortunately, my tests show that it is much slower, so I probably will not update from LW2019 to LW2020
    2D/3D Specialist
    http://www.render-up.com
    Win10 64bit, Dual Xeon E5-2696 V2 @ OC 3,3 GHz per Core, 64GB RAM, 2 x GeForce GTX 1080 Ti

  9. #9
    I tested out a couple other scenes from the content including "Hero" and "RC_Helicopter" Both of which have environment lights and get better render times in LW 2019 vs 2020. I also tried a scene without an environment light in it "Bowling Simulation" which actually rendered just slightly faster in LW 2020.
    Threadripper 2990WX, X399 MSI MEG Creation, 64GB 2400Mhz RAM, GTX 1070 Ti 8GB

    https://www.dynamicrenderings.com/

  10. #10
    all my packshots scenes and I have a lot of them, they render much slower in LW2020. I reported this problem but I get the impression that it was ignored.
    2D/3D Specialist
    http://www.render-up.com
    Win10 64bit, Dual Xeon E5-2696 V2 @ OC 3,3 GHz per Core, 64GB RAM, 2 x GeForce GTX 1080 Ti

  11. #11
    Quote Originally Posted by artzgo View Post
    all my packshots scenes and I have a lot of them, they render much slower in LW2020. I reported this problem but I get the impression that it was ignored.
    Yes, if it's not considered a bug and doesn't have content with it then it will likely be ignored. Hopefully it was passed along to the dev anyway. I would think that all this stuff was known in beta. It's pretty hard not to notice it if any amount of testing was done.
    Threadripper 2990WX, X399 MSI MEG Creation, 64GB 2400Mhz RAM, GTX 1070 Ti 8GB

    https://www.dynamicrenderings.com/

  12. #12
    Upon doing even more testing between 2019 & 2020 on scenes with the environment light I found there may actually be less noise in the 2020 version although you may get an increased render time with no apparent reduction in the noise in some scenes and others will show reduction in noise with very little increase in render time. There must have been lots of changes under the hood leading to different variations in render times and quality pay off for the longer render times.
    Threadripper 2990WX, X399 MSI MEG Creation, 64GB 2400Mhz RAM, GTX 1070 Ti 8GB

    https://www.dynamicrenderings.com/

  13. #13
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Location
    a place
    Posts
    2,354
    Quote Originally Posted by Nicolas Jordan View Post
    Yes, if it's not considered a bug and doesn't have content with it then it will likely be ignored. Hopefully it was passed along to the dev anyway. I would think that all this stuff was known in beta. It's pretty hard not to notice it if any amount of testing was done.
    what about in cases where no content is needed to reproduce an issue? is this a blanket response to all submissions without content?

  14. #14
    Quote Originally Posted by gar26lw View Post
    what about in cases where no content is needed to reproduce an issue? is this a blanket response to all submissions without content?
    True some bugs don't require content and are just a sequence of reproducible steps. That comment was just based on my previous experiences over the years. If you discovered what you think is a bug go ahead and submit the worst thing is that they will ask you for more info.
    Threadripper 2990WX, X399 MSI MEG Creation, 64GB 2400Mhz RAM, GTX 1070 Ti 8GB

    https://www.dynamicrenderings.com/

  15. #15
    Quote Originally Posted by artzgo View Post
    Unfortunately, my tests show that it is much slower, so I probably will not update from LW2019 to LW2020
    I would wait until the first update of 2020 before making any final judgments. There are also a few other issues that need to be addressed as well that make it difficult to use in production. I would contact support if you need a trial extension too.
    Professional-level 3d training: Ryan's Lightwave Learning
    Plugin Developer: RR Tools for Lightwave

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •