Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 92

Thread: LW 2019.1.5 vs LW 2020 render time comparison

  1. #31
    TrueArt Support
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Poland
    Posts
    8,114
    Quote Originally Posted by Cageman View Post
    Wasn't it ALSO stated that scenes that you load in from LW2019, renders slower, compared to if you rebuild them from scratch in LW2020? As in... there is a bug, somewhere, that makes the ENV light much slower when you load LW2019 content into LW2020, compared to if you just load your LWOs into a fresh LW2020 scenefile and hit render....
    Then somebody should write .lws from 2019 and 2020, the same stuff doing ultra simple scene, open in text editor and compare line by line, where is difference..

  2. #32
    Electron wrangler jwiede's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    San Jose, CA
    Posts
    6,957
    Quote Originally Posted by Cageman View Post
    Wasn't it ALSO stated that scenes that you load in from LW2019, renders slower, compared to if you rebuild them from scratch in LW2020? As in... there is a bug, somewhere, that makes the ENV light much slower when you load LW2019 content into LW2020, compared to if you just load your LWOs into a fresh LW2020 scenefile and hit render....
    If you're referring to this post, it was mentioned as a cite-less "someone said" reference, if you know of the original source, please provide a cite?

    If you look at this post, it actually presents a solid explanation for why that's the case (new comes in at lower settings/quality by default versus existing scene settings), but I've seen nothing that suggests at equal quality LW2020 is producing significantly faster results (nor at equal perf LW2020 env. light producing higher quality results).

    If you have such info, please provide it.
    Last edited by jwiede; 05-11-2020 at 08:28 PM.
    John W.
    LW2015.3UB/2019.1.5 on MacPro(12C/24T/10.13.6),64GB RAM, NV 980ti

  3. #33
    Some interior scenes render almost twice as fast.
    A month ago I created this bedroom scene and loved how it turned out. So I'd thought I'd load it up and test in it LW2020 as well as load it into 2019 and check it there too. In order to make things completely fair I had to make several changes to both the 2019 scene and the 2020 scene once loaded.

    First - when using 2020 for this scene I had to add an Environment Light to get my backdrop to illuminate through the window. This is because 2020 no longer has Raytracing + Backdrop as a Reflections Option in the Surface Panel as well as Backdrops just requiring an Environment Light to show up period. Second - there is a bug in 2020 where Portal lights don't work (they actually block light instead of funnel light through an opening) so I unchecked that. Third - I went into the 2019 version and changed that particular window light from a Portal to a normal light. Those changes made both 2019 and 2020 scenes as close as possible to identical. Now in regards to the changes to to GI system in 2020 - I changed nothing, I left everything as they came in when the 2019 scene loaded into 2020. The scene which was create in 2019 loaded into 2020 with Irradiance Cache as the GI Type - I did not touch the settings.

    I can happily say there is a big render speed increase in 2020 with SOME interior scenes.
    Also there is virtually no splotching or light leaking - especially noticeable around the window panes etc..
    I also think the glass is somewhat richer - but again I tweaked absolutely nothing.

    System Info
    Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-8086K CPU @ 4.00GHz, 6 Cores, 12 Logical Processors
    Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 32.0 GB
    Microsoft Windows 10 Home - Version 10.0.18362 Build 18362

    I've attached the results of the two renderers as well as the settings for the GI that was use with each version of LW.
    I've also added full resolution versions of each raw render right out of the LW so you can compare the difference for yourself.
    I've also included the final image that I completed last month as well as screen shot overview of the scene.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	LW2019-2020_Comparison.jpg 
Views:	117 
Size:	911.9 KB 
ID:	147760
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	LW2019-2020_GI_Comparison.jpg 
Views:	75 
Size:	330.4 KB 
ID:	147761
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	OldBedroomLW2019.1.5_1hr42m1s.png 
Views:	62 
Size:	3.95 MB 
ID:	147762
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	OldBedroomLW2020_52m24s.png 
Views:	55 
Size:	4.29 MB 
ID:	147763
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	VintageBedroom.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	2.68 MB 
ID:	147764
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	OldBedScene.jpg 
Views:	83 
Size:	1.41 MB 
ID:	147765
    Last edited by Tim Parsons; 05-11-2020 at 08:42 PM.

  4. #34
    Here are some more comparisons.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2019_RenderStatus.jpg 
Views:	120 
Size:	660.3 KB 
ID:	147766Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2020_RenderStatus.jpg 
Views:	132 
Size:	681.5 KB 
ID:	147767

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2020-2019_RenderStatus.png 
Views:	93 
Size:	1.13 MB 
ID:	147768

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2019-2020_Comparison.jpg 
Views:	75 
Size:	1.15 MB 
ID:	147769

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	RenderStatus_LW2019.1.5_50m_34s.png 
Views:	100 
Size:	507.0 KB 
ID:	147770Click image for larger version. 

Name:	RenderStatus_LW2020_1hr_0m_22s.png 
Views:	114 
Size:	513.4 KB 
ID:	147771

    As you can see not all scenes render faster. A number of simple product shots I've tested have been slower. More testing and optimizing needs to be done to completely figure things out.
    Last edited by Tim Parsons; 05-11-2020 at 08:45 PM.

  5. #35
    Those render times are ... well, I don't even know what to say.
    Am I living in a parallel universe ?

  6. #36
    there is no sanctuary....
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Rochester Hills, MI USA
    Posts
    508
    No idea if it's a bug or changes in the engine, but that seems to be the case. Loading the same scenes I created in 2019 rendered slower, by quite a bit. Loading models from the scene and rebuilding the lights and bounce setups I was able to get results that looked identical to my eye about 30% faster. Waiting for a bug fix or two before switching over completely, but pretty happy with 2020.

    Quote Originally Posted by Cageman View Post
    Wasn't it ALSO stated that scenes that you load in from LW2019, renders slower, compared to if you rebuild them from scratch in LW2020? As in... there is a bug, somewhere, that makes the ENV light much slower when you load LW2019 content into LW2020, compared to if you just load your LWOs into a fresh LW2020 scenefile and hit render....
    Bill Carey

    I7 6700K 4.0 ghz
    Win10 Pro 64bit
    32gig Ram
    Nvidia GTX 980 4 gb 445.87
    LW 2020.01 x64
    Space Navigator

  7. #37
    Not so newbie member lardbros's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    England
    Posts
    6,004
    Many people moan about having to change settings between versions of LightWave, but we're not alone... the same happens in Vray when they upgrade versions.
    Yes, you CAN render without changing things, but it will be slower.

    Take the time to address a few things and it will work out faster for sure, and most likely look nicer too.

    Nice comparisons though
    LairdSquared | 3D Design & Animation

    Desk Work:
    HP Z840, Dual Xeon E5-2690 v2, 32GB RAM, Quadro K5000 4GB
    Desk Home:
    HP Z620, Dual Xeon E5-2680, 80GB RAM, Geforce 1050 Ti 4GB

  8. #38
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Carey View Post
    No idea if it's a bug or changes in the engine, but that seems to be the case. Loading the same scenes I created in 2019 rendered slower, by quite a bit. Loading models from the scene and rebuilding the lights and bounce setups I was able to get results that looked identical to my eye about 30% faster. Waiting for a bug fix or two before switching over completely, but pretty happy with 2020.
    Just curious when you rebuild the scene for 2020 I assume you are using "load items from scene" and rebuilding it that way and then adding in new lights etc. Did the scenes you refer to originally use an environment light and if they did are you also ensuring that your environment light has the same settings applied as it did in 2019?
    Threadripper 2990WX, X399 MSI MEG Creation, 64GB 2400Mhz RAM, GTX 1070 Ti 8GB

    https://www.dynamicrenderings.com/

  9. #39
    Quote Originally Posted by lardbros View Post
    Many people moan about having to change settings between versions of LightWave, but we're not alone... the same happens in Vray when they upgrade versions.
    Yes, you CAN render without changing things, but it will be slower.

    Take the time to address a few things and it will work out faster for sure, and most likely look nicer too.

    Nice comparisons though
    My tests show that Interior is faster in LW2020 but in packshot / studio render it is faster in LW2019. Enviro Light generates a lot of noise.
    2D/3D Specialist
    http://www.render-up.com
    Win10 64bit, Dual Xeon E5-2696 V2 @ OC 3,3 GHz per Core, 64GB RAM, 2 x GeForce GTX 1080 Ti

  10. #40
    there is no sanctuary....
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Rochester Hills, MI USA
    Posts
    508
    Quote Originally Posted by Nicolas Jordan View Post
    Just curious when you rebuild the scene for 2020 I assume you are using "load items from scene" and rebuilding it that way and then adding in new lights etc. Did the scenes you refer to originally use an environment light and if they did are you also ensuring that your environment light has the same settings applied as it did in 2019?
    Exactly. Since 2020 loads an environment light by default I just added the same .hdr image, deleted the distant light since I wasn't using it. On the couple scenes I've compared the renders out of the box were less noisy, I was able to get away with fewer bounces and less AA. Light settings were the same. Relatively simple scenes, some scifi models. one with a backdrop image, one with starpro.
    Bill Carey

    I7 6700K 4.0 ghz
    Win10 Pro 64bit
    32gig Ram
    Nvidia GTX 980 4 gb 445.87
    LW 2020.01 x64
    Space Navigator

  11. #41
    Registered User Rayek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Vancouver, BC
    Posts
    1,583
    Quote Originally Posted by Mastoy View Post
    Those render times are ... well, I don't even know what to say.
    Am I living in a parallel universe ?
    Indeed. You and I live in a universe with fast optimized render engines and GPU rendering.
    Win10 64 - i7 [email protected], p6t Deluxe v1, 48gb, Nvidia GTX 1080 8GB, Revodrive X2 240gb, e-mu 1820. Screens: 2 x Samsung s27a850ds 2560x1440, HP 1920x1200 in portrait mode

  12. #42
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Carey View Post
    Exactly. Since 2020 loads an environment light by default I just added the same .hdr image, deleted the distant light since I wasn't using it. On the couple scenes I've compared the renders out of the box were less noisy, I was able to get away with fewer bounces and less AA. Light settings were the same. Relatively simple scenes, some scifi models. one with a backdrop image, one with starpro.
    Did your 2019 scene also use an environment light?
    Threadripper 2990WX, X399 MSI MEG Creation, 64GB 2400Mhz RAM, GTX 1070 Ti 8GB

    https://www.dynamicrenderings.com/

  13. #43
    pass:sword OFF's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Russia
    Posts
    1,087
    I found that the benchmark scene from Mariusz is very well suited for comparing rendering in lw 20119 and lw 2020 since the background in this scene is just black, i.e. enviro light is not used.
    lw 2018 - 10m 36s
    lw 2019 - 11m 3s
    lw 2020 - 8m 24s

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Bench_2018.png 
Views:	103 
Size:	1.08 MB 
ID:	147783Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Bench_2020.png 
Views:	97 
Size:	1.01 MB 
ID:	147784

    But the render in 2018 is more beautiful! )

  14. #44
    Registered User Marty3DGuru's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2020
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    42
    The 2020 glass material has not been set up correctly hence it doesn't look as good.

    It would be refreshing if more people would spend time proving LW2020 is better and faster than trying to argue that it is worse or slower.

    Focus on the now instead of this is crap or worse or doesn't do what I want it to do.

    I've tested it myself. 2020 was faster and better than 2019. I don't need to prove it or show results, I did it for myself and proved it to myself. It is great that people are showing examples of comparisons for others, I'm just saying for my own needs I tested it for myself instead of looking to others to have it justified.

    LW is a really nice renderer, no it is not grease lightning, but it is a sweet renderer.
    Last edited by Marty3DGuru; 05-13-2020 at 03:39 AM.
    'LW CAN IF YOU CAN BE ARSED TO TRY HARDER'

    LW2020 - LWCAD - ODTOOLS 2019 - OCTANE V4

  15. #45
    Quote Originally Posted by OFF View Post
    I found that the benchmark scene from Mariusz is very well suited for comparing rendering in lw 20119 and lw 2020 since the background in this scene is just black, i.e. enviro light is not used.
    lw 2018 - 10m 36s
    lw 2019 - 11m 3s
    lw 2020 - 8m 24s

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Bench_2018.png 
Views:	103 
Size:	1.08 MB 
ID:	147783Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Bench_2020.png 
Views:	97 
Size:	1.01 MB 
ID:	147784

    But the render in 2018 is more beautiful! )
    Since there is no "sample backdrop" in LW2020 you are now required to use an environment light in place of that to get the same or similar result as using "sample backdrop" in previous versions.
    Threadripper 2990WX, X399 MSI MEG Creation, 64GB 2400Mhz RAM, GTX 1070 Ti 8GB

    https://www.dynamicrenderings.com/

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •