Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Radeon Problems

No issues in LW2020 trial on my older R9 280x with the latest official drivers: Adrenalin 2020 Edition 20.2.2 Recommended (WHQL). There are newer drivers that fix lots of RX card issues in other apps, it seems that AMD is working hard on bugfixing. Do you have an exact procedure to always reproduce the problem from an empty scene? It would help AMD to reproduce using the LW2020 trial.

I had a problem with corrupted viewport for a long time when I had polaris based radeon hardware. The vega based gfx worked ok. Eventually they came out with a set of drivers that fixed it.

On older LW benchmarks, Quadro cards could run big scenes faster in OpenGL preview, since Geforce cards have disabled OpenGL functions to drive sales of Quadro cards with better drivers. Not sure if it is still valid. Quadro drivers are tuned for apps like LW with better performance and stability, but mostly have several unlocked functions useful for pro apps but not gaming.
    More VRAM would help Octane and other GPU renderers.

At least CAD software are still crippled on Geforce, see benchmarks here: https://www.engineering.com/DesignSo...ics-Cards.aspx

Quote Originally Posted by Free4Ever View Post
    No issues in LW2020 trial on my older R9 280x with the latest official drivers: Adrenalin 2020 Edition 20.2.2 Recommended (WHQL). There are newer drivers that fix lots of RX card issues in other apps, it seems that AMD is working hard on bugfixing. Do you have an exact procedure to always reproduce the problem from an empty scene? It would help AMD to reproduce using the LW2020 trial.
    Actually, as soon as I open Modeler you see the white squares instead of X,Y,Z. When using LWCAD all the viewport numerical values are white squares. However there was one session where the blocks went away for a bit. Then reappeared when I opened the program again. In Layout the white squares only appear when I move an item and instead of seeing the numerical values just white boxes. Rendering is hit and miss. Sometimes it renders, sometimes it's a white out. Very odd.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2020-05-10.png 
Views:	19 
Size:	122.7 KB 
ID:	147745  

On older LW benchmarks, Quadro cards could run big scenes faster in OpenGL preview, since Geforce cards have disabled OpenGL functions to drive sales of Quadro cards with better drivers. Not sure if it is still valid. Quadro drivers are tuned for apps like LW with better performance and stability, but mostly have several unlocked functions useful for pro apps but not gaming.
    More VRAM would help Octane and other GPU renderers.
    The impression I get from the Radeon I have is it's strictly for gaming. No options whatsoever for 3D apps.

For a number of years, 'gaming' cards have been better for LW than quadro or firepro.
    These cards are optimised for cad/solid works.
    Mac Pro (2010) OSX 10.13 RX580 Pulse LW2020
    (plugins: LWcad 2018, TFD 1427, Syflex 2018, StarPro 2020, ExrTrader 2020, Ubercam 2.0, RR Daz Mocap (not working), DP Light 2020)

Checked a forum thread for max/maya and most users recommend the gaming RTX cards due to lower price and good performance in their apps. They say that even big studios use gaming RTX cards. Quadro has a few unique features for a few apps, I guess 3D apps are not on the list anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by LouO311 View Post
    The impression I get from the Radeon I have is it's strictly for gaming. No options whatsoever for 3D apps.
    Good news, it seems that AMD recently unlocked their "pro" drivers for gaming cards (and the other way around) so you should definately try the Radeon Pro driver for your card (backup the PC first). From the release notes, with a disclaimer about missing features at the end, but the driver is tested on 3D apps, unlike the game driver:

AMD Radeon '" Graphics Support

Starting in i9.Q2, AMD is including Radeon products in our Enterprise driver. This is being done
    in consideration of the fact that enterprises use both professional, commercial, and consumer
    hardware. This driver is recommended for Radeon hardware being used in commercial use
    cases with productivity applications. This includes users who need to review CAD data as part of
    their workflow. It is not recommended for gaming. Workstation performance, features, and
    application certifications do not apply to Radeon hardware and no end user benefit will be
    observed without Radeon Pro hardware.
    Last edited by Free4Ever; 05-11-2020 at 09:18 AM.

Good news, it seems that AMD recently unlocked their "pro" drivers for gaming cards (and the other way around) so you should definately try the Radeon Pro driver for your card (backup the PC first). From the release notes, with a disclaimer about missing features at the end, but the driver is tested on 3D apps, unlike the game driver:

AMD Radeon '" Graphics Support

Starting in i9.Q2, AMD is including Radeon products in our Enterprise driver. This is being done
    in consideration of the fact that enterprises use both professional, commercial, and consumer
    hardware. This driver is recommended for Radeon hardware being used in commercial use
    cases with productivity applications. This includes users who need to review CAD data as part of
    their workflow. It is not recommended for gaming. Workstation performance, features, and
    application certifications do not apply to Radeon hardware and no end user benefit will be
    observed without Radeon Pro hardware.
    Great info. Will check it out and see if it helps. Going to email AMD tech support that I have been in contact with to see if these drivers would help. Odd he never mentioned it. Thanks!
    Last edited by LouO311; 05-11-2020 at 06:19 PM.

Checked a forum thread for max/maya and most users recommend the gaming RTX cards due to lower price and good performance in their apps. They say that even big studios use gaming RTX cards. Quadro has a few unique features for a few apps, I guess 3D apps are not on the list anymore.
    Another forum member recommended RTX as well. The RTX 2080Ti 11 GB as a matter of fact.

Quote Originally Posted by LouO311 View Post
    Actually, as soon as I open Modeler you see the white squares instead of X,Y,Z. When using LWCAD all the viewport numerical values are white squares. However there was one session where the blocks went away for a bit. Then reappeared when I opened the program again. In Layout the white squares only appear when I move an item and instead of seeing the numerical values just white boxes. Rendering is hit and miss. Sometimes it renders, sometimes it's a white out. Very odd.
    At best that's a driver issue, at worst a defective card. I'd go with the first, I have a game that if I alt-tab to Windows and then back all the text can look just like that. It's a 20 year old game, I expect the odd graphical artifact.

I use an RTX 2080 OC....like others have said , go NVidia if you can afford it, the other side of the fence smells

Quote Originally Posted by SpacialKatana View Post
    At best that's a driver issue, at worst a defective card. I'd go with the first, I have a game that if I alt-tab to Windows and then back all the text can look just like that. It's a 20 year old game, I expect the odd graphical artifact.

I use an RTX 2080 OC....like others have said , go NVidia if you can afford it, the other side of the fence smells
    LOL. Thankfully, I have the money. Gonna see what AMD tech says about these new drivers. If not then will get an NVIDIA card.

At least CAD software are still crippled on Geforce, see benchmarks here: https://www.engineering.com/DesignSo...ics-Cards.aspx
    March 08, 2019, that article is more than a year old. Also, it has no mention of nVidia's Studio driver performance. They were introduced to improve GeForce performance with a variety of professional apps. This article is also quite old, August 2019, but does explain some of the improvements and differences between the Studio and regular gaming drivers:

https://www.thefpsreview.com/2019/08...r-performance/
    Kevin F Stubbs

Remember...one size does NOT fit all

Not a comparison with any Quadro card, so it does not say much. Some info about the Nvidia studio driver here, says that it unlocks 30bit color support for GeForce, otherwise similar. https://www.anandtech.com/show/14682...-geforce-cards

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast