Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: It's all because of you ... B5!

@SpacialKatana Thanks! I'll go check out the Pro version.

Quote Originally Posted by Lumen View Post
    @SpacialKatana Thanks! I'll go check out the Pro version.
    It's worth it as you get a commercial licence that way, I'd recommend getting it through Steam if you have an account with them, as you'll get updates as & when. HF m8

Quote Originally Posted by SpacialKatana View Post
    Thanks for your appreciation, I modelled the big Whitestar.

The Pro version of SpaceEngine allows you to export 'cubemap' images, in short 6 images that you then apply to the corresponding faces of a cube that 'surrounds' your scene. As it's 6 images you can use them in ANY 3D software. You can export in various formats/resolution. Hope that helps.
    Hey SK,

When you export the images to the cubemap, does that cause a problem if you pan the camera around?

Thanks?

Quote Originally Posted by Oldcode View Post
    Hey SK,

When you export the images to the cubemap, does that cause a problem if you pan the camera around?

Thanks?
    If you do a space scene, no, make the cube map massive (mine's 10,000KM square) and keep the camera at the origin, you can move around as well as long it's staying 'near' the origin.

For a ground scene (ie you made a skybox with the camera sat on the planet's surface) you'll need to make a shadow catcher with a texture on that matches the horizon if you want to move the camera. For stills/panning camera animation it's no trouble. It's not really hard if you're any good at compositing/rotascoping techniques. Here's a no frills test video I made showing what you can do :-

Newbie Member
    Haha, welcome!

Babylon 5 got ME into using LW as well. In fact, back in the day I was part of an online group that recreated most of the ships, etc. from the show. Still have the ORIGINAL meshes for B5 and the Minbari cruiser that "someone" from Foundation Imaging sent me years ago.

I just got BACK into this. Hadn't touched Lightwave in YEARS, even though I maintained by old website with all of my meshes and pictures from back in the day, (www.parallax3d.com)

Just took my ANCIENT copy of LW5.6, and upgraded to 2020! It's like learning how to walk again!!! On top of that, some of the old meshes/textures don't work right in the new version. I may have to go back and install 5.6 in a VM so I can look back at the old settings that somehow don't get translated to the new format when you import an old model.

Anyway, here's a really old model I made back in the day, that I just imported and played with the other day.
    I can already tell that I'm going to need to revise the lighting rig.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	B4.png 
Views:	28 
Size:	390.3 KB 
ID:	148400

Newbie Member
    Haha!! Welcome.

I also started this because of Babylon 5, and actually was part of a group that recreated most of the ships, etc. from the show, back in the day.
    In fact, my website, (which hasn't been updated in 17 YEARS), is still up and running, and still has some of my stuff on it. (www.parallax3d.com)

I actually JUST dug out my old LW5.6 license, and upgraded it to LW2020, so after probably 17 years of not doing anything, I may be back.
    I can already see that I'm going to need to tweak a lot of models in the new version, to make them appear correctly.

The image below is a prime example. Gotta fix those lights!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	B4.png 
Views:	17 
Size:	390.3 KB 
ID:	148401  

Join date 2007 and only 3 posts? And two of them within minutes? Interesting...
    I will check your site as soon as I am home, here at work I don't have access to your site…
    Yes, B5 was the best promotion for Lightwave back then...
    Greetings, Shloime
    ----------------------------
    Win10 64, Ryzen 5 1600x, GTX 980 ti, 64 GB, LW 2018

Hey Parallax-3d,
    B5 was a big hook getting me inti 3d too. You say you "Still have the ORIGINAL meshes for B5 and the Minbari cruiser that "someone" from Foundation Imaging sent me years ago. "

I read that all the original assets were lost years ago? If you have copies, it'd be great to know the original models still exist. And while I appreciate that legal/copyright issues probably apply, it'd be awesome for B5 fans to have access to them!

The site listed by parallax-3d comes up as a broken link, but a delve into Webarchive reveals a little trove. The modelwork does indeed look B5-esque to my eye. Intriguing curio, I wasn't aware of that site.

It would be great if original models from B5 did survive, though I have heard it would still require a huge endeavour to remaster the show to it's full potential (though if Delenn's pre-dinner rituals hit the cutting room floor, it might half the length of the series. ).

It reminds me a little of TV stations such as the BBC who wiped some of their most classic material, but now have to pray that overseas stations actually breached their agreements to retain copies after expiry of contract, and the BBC now has to bend over backwards to assure no legal consequences would follow if returned - an approach which does yield fruit. Maybe parallax-3d really has got 'em...
    Last edited by TheLexx; 07-29-2020 at 10:55 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by parallax-3d View Post
    Haha!! Welcome.

I also started this because of Babylon 5, and actually was part of a group that recreated most of the ships, etc. from the show, back in the day.
    In fact, my website, (which hasn't been updated in 17 YEARS), is still up and running, and still has some of my stuff on it. (www.parallax3d.com)

I actually JUST dug out my old LW5.6 license, and upgraded it to LW2020, so after probably 17 years of not doing anything, I may be back.
    I can already see that I'm going to need to tweak a lot of models in the new version, to make them appear correctly.

The image below is a prime example. Gotta fix those lights!
    Hey, long time, no see! It was a blast from the past seeing your updated B4 model on MM&M, though even that was a while ago, now.

I know what you mean about the new surfacing and rendering system. It's definitely a barrier to just popping out a render when my huge archive of old models all need to be resurfaced and relit to use the new system (though the results are worth it).

Ya, Babylon 5 and ver 3 on the Amiga here also. More then that, it was also the Magazines, the Books, software,hardware stores with boxed software, the Amiga store on the other end of town that also carried some video equipment. The world has changed. Every one has an awsome camera in their pocket, lots of reasonably good editing software for free, software is all making the shift to being rental, the books and magazines have basically all gone, software stores are a major thing of the past, camera and computer stores almost gone and nothing except the top softwares and free softwares seem to get any kind of showcase. It's also been a while since I came home from work, sat down on a project and then realized the sun was coming up and I needed to go to work again Really also miss the mass of 15 to 25 year olds who just did all kinds of stuff just to show off what they were doing and playing with a new toy. Now it's all old hat and if you can't do what ever is in the latest movie it just doesn't impress. Guess it was that way with Babylon 5, it just wasn't as much of a reach back then.

I still like Lightwave best of the animation softwares, maybe because I drop in and out. When I don't use it for a month or even a year, it comes back reasonably fast and still mostly feels reasonably comfortable.

For me it was also Babylon 5. I was 13 when it first aired and really sparked my interest in 3D, or Lightwave specifically.
    Some of the original B5 CGI files still exist even today.
    Rendered these a while ago with some episodic scene files.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	310.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	817.4 KB 
ID:	148411   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	317.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	560.4 KB 
ID:	148412  

Quote Originally Posted by Lemon Wolf View Post
    Some of the original B5 CGI files still exist even today.
    Rendered these a while ago with some episodic scene files.
    Where did you find B5 scene files..?

Quote Originally Posted by kyuzo View Post
    Where did you find B5 scene files..?
    Well i cant really say where i got them from it would violate the trust of the person that sent them to me.
    All i can say is there is more left than most think.

Thanks. That makes me happy and sad in equal measure.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123