Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 3rd Powers 3D Sticker

Cool 3rd Powers 3D Sticker

Ok... I finally made the jump and despite the scary looking website and no real feedback of whether it's alive (I assume so seeing the LW2020 support tiny mention) or when I'd get the plugins, I bought 3D Sticker.

OMG

This is a NICE tool. The interactivity despite LW's ancient UI makes it very easy to use. So it seems that even with this prehistoric LW UI, you can still get some very snappy tools that work really nicely. It seems the 3rd Powers devs leaned into LW's old UI and figured out how to make something work without ultra modern UX. This is fantastic.

Breathes some life into 2020 Modeler. So why didn't any of you tell me how good they were? Why are there like no videos (ok 2) using it???!
    Thank you 3rd Powers.

today's mood:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	dwM.gif 
Views:	73 
Size:	1.97 MB 
ID:	147693

I have been eyeing up some of the 3rd Powers tools for some time now. I'm looking at getting into other kinds of 3d work besides Arch Viz. If I can manage to get the work it looks like these tools would be a good investment.
    Threadripper 2990WX, X399 MSI MEG Creation, 64GB 2400Mhz RAM, GTX 1070 Ti 8GB

https://www.dynamicrenderings.com/

Great plugin! Although lwbrush is the real star of the show when it comes to 3rd powers modeler tools.

Sure 3rdPowers has the best modeling plugins I have ever seen with LWCAD
    Last edited by Wireframex; 05-07-2020 at 11:54 AM.
    Ryzen Threadripper 3990X 64 Cores - 128Threads / 3 x GTX 2080 / Windows 10 x64 / 64 Go Ram / LW2020 & Softimage user

The 3rd Powers tools look fantastic, though in total quite costly in comparison to LW itself, but everyone seems to think worth every penny....which speaks volumes. Any future sale promo and I'll try to jump on.

It is very obvious that the 3rd powers devs rely on the very same tools they sell, they are solid and carefully designed for ease of use and versatility.
    Professional-level 3d training: Ryan's Lightwave Learning
    Plugin Developer: RR Tools for Lightwave

IMO, all of 3rd Powers tools are fantastic and essential for any LightWave generalist's toolkit. Some of these tools were absolute lifesavers for me back when I was freelancing on tightly scheduled b-movie productions.

Quote Originally Posted by hypersuperduper View Post
    Great plugin! Although lwbrush is the real star of the show when it comes to 3rd powers modeler tools.
    For me, the most useful tools have been the interactive Boolean tool, Lattice Deformer, and Paint Weights. The Boolean tool made it a breeze to slice the shark for the chainsaw shot I created for Sharknado 2, and the Lattice Tools helped me animate hundreds of lampreys squirming over a victim in another Asylum movie.

Some of these tools are not something I use all the time time but when I need 'em, I'm sooooo glad I have them. Kinda like how the Worley plugin suites were back in the day.

LW Brush is a bit expensive - I'm trying to understand if I need it - I use 3DCoat alot but I like working in LW Modeler and bringing stuff back and forth. Things like 3D Sticker aren't obviously there in LWCAD or 3DCoat (at least not without voxels and if I'm not going to bake and going low poly, I don't want to sculpt).

I may get HeatShrink Plus too - not sure if I need the LW Brush yet though - I need to see more than the one video on their site.

The thing about lw brush is that it gives you a sculpting-like toolset but for poly/sub patch modeling. It’s an interesting hybrid and it is so nice to just be able to grab a surface and manipulate it without even thinking in terms of vertices or polys, or selections and fall-offs. I am completely handicapped without it now. You get some other useful tools as well, such as a much nicer knife tool and some retopology tools, that make modeler at least somewhat usable as a retopo tool, but it’s the direct mesh manipulation that really shines for me.

LW brush is nice but I rarely use it. I have zbrush so if I need some sculpting I save the object as fbx and open it in zbrush instead. The tool that I find most useful is Metamesh. Its amazing at combining objects with smooth joins.

I wanted to push cartoony stylized hair onto a non-smooth head and conform it to it interactively - 3D Sticker works awesome if the head is smooth - Does metaMesh work for this? or only for the instersecting joints?

Would 3rd Powers Heat Shrink Plus work good for wrapping hats around the head? what if I only want the base portion of the hat to conform and not the top big brim - can HSP or any of these tools work with Weight maps to see what conforms and what doesnt?

- - - Updated - - -

To me 3DCoat Retopo is wonderful - so I'm not sure that LWBrush's retopo is worth it if I already have that.... ?

Quote Originally Posted by lertola2 View Post
    LW brush is nice but I rarely use it. I have zbrush so if I need some sculpting I save the object as fbx and open it in zbrush instead. The tool that I find most useful is Metamesh. Its amazing at combining objects with smooth joins.
    I tend to agree that Metamesh is the most "capability-extending" 3rdPowers tool for Modeler, it's quite fast and effective when you're trying to rough out a form using basic prims, or setting up complex inset/inlay shapes.

That said, I find the current Metamesh UX/workflow a bit too "one-shot"/"destructive", making it difficult to go back and make precise, finesse adjustments to operand placements, etc. If Metamesh worked a bit more like how LWCAD operations work, keeping operations "alive" and adjustable across multiple dissimilar boolean operations, and offered more of a "live"/interactive ability to manipulate better how boundaries were handled (incl. profiling), it'd be much more usable and powerful (IMO).

Alas, Metamesh doesn't seem to have enough audience for 3rdPowers to justify extending the Metamesh toolset in those directions (which is kind of a shame, IMO). They've kind of left it more or less alone since release, other than a few fairly minor fixes and UX improvements.

I probably use the other LWBrush tools (knife, retopo, etc.) more than I actually use push/pull, for similar reasons as you cited -- if I want to sculpt anything more involved than a quick tweak, I take into a pkg better-suited for sculpting workflow (ZBrush, 3DCoat, or even C4D depending on precisely what I'm trying to do).

LW not having any practical native sculpting ability (unlike basically all other major 3D pkgs at this point) is a serious weakness, and unfortunately, LWBrush doesn't really do much to alleviate the problem. I think it's fine for tweaking and touch-ups, but for anything more involved, most will move to a better-equipped sculpting toolset for efficiency reasons, LWBrush's "sculpting" toolset/capabilities are just too limited in that regard. I still see LWBrush as a great, valuable, powerful plugin overall. I just don't think of it as providing sculpting tools.
    Last edited by jwiede; 05-07-2020 at 04:11 PM.
    John W.
    LW2015.3UB/2019.1.5 on MacPro(12C/24T/10.13.6),64GB RAM, NV 980ti

Waiting on 3RD Powers to release their "next" anyone have any idea of when?
    Shuttle XPCVista 64 bit /Core2Extreme x9650 3.00GHz 8GB GeForce 8800 GTS 512 Cintiq 21UX
    Dell 24" LCD Dell XT2 Tablet /Win 7 32 Bit /Core 2 duo SU9600 1.6 GHz 3GB / Mobil Intel 4500MHD

I use 3D Brush when I need basic sculpting and I don't want to bother with switching to an advanced sculpting program like 3DC and ZB. Or I might use it to make quick 'shot-specific' mods to geometry. So for me, it's a matter of convenience. Keeping the work inside LightWave can save me some time when I don't need or want all the power and complexity of using the external programs.

When I got it, I think it came as part of the 3rd Powers 'early bird' suite or I got it at a discount so, TBH, I might have otherwise passed on it since I already have 3DC and ZB. Or maybe not...I really do like all of 3rd Powers tools and they pretty much paid for themselves a long time ago.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast