Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 3rd Powers 3D Sticker

Oh, it's a very useful toolset, I agree with that 100%. I just notice the customers who go in viewing LWBrush's push/pull more as a "souped-up tweak tool" appear more satisfied than the ones who go in with any sort of "sculpting toolset" expectations (and that mirrors my own experience as well). Most folks who expect sculpting still see significant value after, but tend to revise their views w.r.t. using it for sculpting.
    Last edited by jwiede; 05-07-2020 at 06:25 PM.
    John W.
    LW2015.3UB/2019.1.5 on MacPro(12C/24T/10.13.6),64GB RAM, NV 980ti

You are right. Lwbrush is not a sculpting tool, and if you want to use it to replicate a proper sculpting environment you will not be satisfied.

It’s difficult to place it in terms of industry standard terminology, because I wouldn’t really classify it as a tweak tool either. I feel that sells it short. It’s a low to medium poly mesh manipulation toolset that borrows some sculpting methods and adds some of its own. Push/pull is the The simplest and most like a typical sculpting tool, in that is just moves points along their normals. The grab tool and slide tools on the other hand are pretty unique in that they can be set up to treat the mesh as it if has stiffness so that manipulating the mesh becomes like pulling on soft wax or something. The smooth tool is also very interesting because it doesn’t only smooth curvature, but it also, if you want, evens the spacing between points, sliding them along the curvature.

I tend to use the tools early in the geometry creation process. Make a box, subdivide, smooth, extend something, grab a bit drag it, smooth it, add a loop, smooth etc....

The only one of their modeling tools I don’t have is heat shrink. I make do with the kind of lousy native version. I couldn’t work without them.
    In terms of value, for me I would say in descending order:
    Lwbrush
    Sticker
    Boolean
    Metamesh

Metamesh and 3D sticker are easily the coolest though, even if I haven’t found as much utility in metamesh as I would have liked.
    Last edited by hypersuperduper; 05-08-2020 at 01:53 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by sami View Post
    I wanted to push cartoony stylized hair onto a non-smooth head and conform it to it interactively - 3D Sticker works awesome if the head is smooth - Does metaMesh work for this? or only for the instersecting joints?

Would 3rd Powers Heat Shrink Plus work good for wrapping hats around the head? what if I only want the base portion of the hat to conform and not the top big brim - can HSP or any of these tools work with Weight maps to see what conforms and what doesnt?

- - - Updated - - -

To me 3DCoat Retopo is wonderful - so I'm not sure that LWBrush's retopo is worth it if I already have that.... ?
    3dcoat retopo is WAAAAY better. I found myself in a situation once where I was stuck in modeler doing some retopo like stuff, and it was nice to have the lwbrush tools, but that’s it.

Quote Originally Posted by jwiede View Post
    I tend to agree that Metamesh is the most "capability-extending" 3rdPowers tool for Modeler, it's quite fast and effective when you're trying to rough out a form using basic prims, or setting up complex inset/inlay shapes.

That said, I find the current Metamesh UX/workflow a bit too "one-shot"/"destructive", making it difficult to go back and make precise, finesse adjustments to operand placements, etc. If Metamesh worked a bit more like how LWCAD operations work, keeping operations "alive" and adjustable across multiple dissimilar boolean operations, and offered more of a "live"/interactive ability to manipulate better how boundaries were handled (incl. profiling), it'd be much more usable and powerful (IMO).

Alas, Metamesh doesn't seem to have enough audience for 3rdPowers to justify extending the Metamesh toolset in those directions (which is kind of a shame, IMO). They've kind of left it more or less alone since release, other than a few fairly minor fixes and UX improvements.

I probably use the other LWBrush tools (knife, retopo, etc.) more than I actually use push/pull, for similar reasons as you cited -- if I want to sculpt anything more involved than a quick tweak, I take into a pkg better-suited for sculpting workflow (ZBrush, 3DCoat, or even C4D depending on precisely what I'm trying to do).

LW not having any practical native sculpting ability (unlike basically all other major 3D pkgs at this point) is a serious weakness, and unfortunately, LWBrush doesn't really do much to alleviate the problem. I think it's fine for tweaking and touch-ups, but for anything more involved, most will move to a better-equipped sculpting toolset for efficiency reasons, LWBrush's "sculpting" toolset/capabilities are just too limited in that regard. I still see LWBrush as a great, valuable, powerful plugin overall. I just don't think of it as providing sculpting tools.
    Wish this forum had a like post button - thanks

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by hypersuperduper View Post
    The thing about lw brush is that it gives you a sculpting-like toolset but for poly/sub patch modeling. It’s an interesting hybrid and it is so nice to just be able to grab a surface and manipulate it without even thinking in terms of vertices or polys, or selections and fall-offs. I am completely handicapped without it now. You get some other useful tools as well, such as a much nicer knife tool and some retopology tools, that make modeler at least somewhat usable as a retopo tool, but it’s the direct mesh manipulation that really shines for me.
    I agree - I have a feeling there is a place for a hybrid toolset. Only thing is I already have 3DCoat and am trying to think of a scenario when I would need this hybrid...?

Quote Originally Posted by hypersuperduper View Post
    You are right. Lwbrush is not a sculpting tool, and if you want to use it to replicate a proper sculpting environment you will not be satisfied.

It’s difficult to place it in terms of industry standard terminology, because I wouldn’t really classify it as a tweak tool either. I feel that sells it short. It’s a low to medium poly mesh manipulation toolset that borrows some sculpting methods and adds some of its own. Push/pull is the The simplest and most like a typical sculpting tool, in that is just moves points along their normals. The grab tool and slide tools on the other hand are pretty unique in that they can be set up to treat the mesh as it if has stiffness so that manipulating the mesh becomes like pulling on soft wax or something. The smooth tool is also very interesting because it doesn’t only smooth curvature, but it also, if you want, evens the spacing between points, sliding them along the curvature.

I tend to use the tools early in the geometry creation process. Make a box, subdivide, smooth, extend something, grab a bit drag it, smooth it, add a loop, smooth etc....

The only one of their modeling tools I don’t have is heat shrink. I make do with the kind of lousy native version. I couldn’t work without them.
    In terms of value, for me I would say in descending order:
    Lwbrush
    Sticker
    Boolean
    Metamesh

Metamesh and 3D sticker are easily the coolest though, even if I haven’t found as much utility in metamesh as I would have liked.
    I just bought Heat Shrink Plus - it's a bit less featured and somewhat harder to get the results you expect since it's kind of less interactive - though it is a bit. At first I thought I wasted the $39, but with a little playing I can get the effect I want. Just not a one-click shop like some of the other tools.

Ideally it would be cool if you could heat shrink plus with a weight too - so if you had a loose cloth hat (like a chef's hat) with a band - you could weight the band 100% and gradient up the puffy bit - so you could heat shrink it so the band fits but the rest of the object retains its shape. With the way it is, I'm heat shrinking the band and then rewelding or tweaking adding to the other part of the hat. If this makes sense without a picture...

I have just about every tool they sell, and it's well worth it! I got many of them when Newtek had a special upgrade offer where many of the tools where included. When I wanted to get some of the others, I wrote to them and about about a volume discount, and they sold me the remainder of their tool set for a pretty significant discount.

So go ahead and ask!

The worst they can say is no.

I'd love to see them get Metamesh working in layout. It's saved my butt dozens of times along with Sticker. I know we have VDB now.. but having Metamesh on live geo would be fantastic.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12