Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Wda clouds and vdb

best bet = being a beta user

yeah, this weather it is nice for a short time... but then (!)

at least we have Halloween these days, makes things a bit more "Spicy"

https://www.lightwave3d.com/news/art...itta-halloween
    LW vidz   DPont donate   LW Facebook   IKBooster   My vidz

Quote Originally Posted by prometheus View Post
    Unfortunetely, keeping it simple as bullet or numbered list doesnīt seem to do the trick as you experienced, what I havenīt seen, is a dedicated site with suggestions and showcases, images, vids compiled with written descriptions of the issues as well.
    Not only would you have to set up the site, gather all you want to be known, you have to record showcases etc, itīs that or the simple list..but that doesnīt seem to work for us anyway.

No one sane would put such effort in it, not knowing wether or not it would make a difference, not saying I am the sane one though.

If I get insane enough to embark on that project, I got your resources that I could embedd link to on that page as well.

As for weather, exactly..pretty much nearby in location ..onlyu 35-40 miles I think, and not much of a sunny autum day, but thatīs ok..I like rainy windy october as well..just as long as it is above 10 degree plus, november rain..then we are down to 6 plus, or even minus degrees and cold rain..thatīs probably the worse month if I exclude februari, and ealy march.

Otherwise I love October as long as it keeps within 6-10 celsius plus (dry weather) or 10-13 plus with humidity, mist or light rain....the chilly air and trees in all itīs red golden sunkissed glory, someone burning their open fires, the smell of Annas Gingerbread..which is located nearby me..that is autumn as it best, but that october love only goes on so long...maybe some day after my birthday around the 24th.
    And since Erikals suddenly made me aware of yet another discouraging rumour, it seems it would be even more insane to go on with this site blog I had in mind to provide feedback on where Lightwave could be improved,
    Better to focus on something else.

And If it all turns out to be the very case, then my choice of not engaging in to a betatester may have been the right decision.

So, I couldn't let it go. made some progress on blender but, for the life of me can't get anywhere with Lightwave and only achieve something when I use emission channel. How can I go about it?

attachments are latest blender push and emissive plume in lw.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cloud061020_4.png 
Views:	29 
Size:	176.7 KB 
ID:	148838Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cloud071020.PNG 
Views:	17 
Size:	683.5 KB 
ID:	148839

Quote Originally Posted by nez View Post
    So, I couldn't let it go. made some progress on blender but, for the life of me can't get anywhere with Lightwave and only achieve something when I use emission channel. How can I go about it?

attachments are latest blender push and emissive plume in lw.

Name:	cloud061020_4.png 
Views:	29 
Size:	176.7 KB 
ID:	148838Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cloud071020.PNG 
Views:	17 
Size:	683.5 KB 
ID:	148839
    As I mentioned before, emission is hardly there for any light emission,)only a small amount perhaps that yields a certain level of energy, but doubtful it affects the illumination of clouds ..with some exceptions described earlier)
    that is what it does, there should be none, to extremely little emission values.
    For blender, I use No emission, and itīs pretty much all about multiple volume bounces of the light, which is something Lightwave isnīt doing well..or at all.

Lightwave look often comes out as with the Wrong form, in the sense that density is needed to be cranked up, where it should be much softer, the details should be formed by the shadows within the cloud volume, not
    unatural density.

I have also questioned if Lightwave really accepts the right scatter values, since it simply mostly looks wrong.

emission will make your cloud self illuminating and destroying the true shadows needed, so it just looks flat, but puffy density bulgy without proper shadows, stay away from emission, and increase volume density
    or GI indirect intensity, or add environment light to brighten thinks up, donīt have too strong scattering scale, it will make the cloud darker, in fact you should not have so much scattering scale but rely on the provided scatter data channels.

so turn emission off, get dark shadows..deal with them at a GI level or,(indirect samples is a must, and preferably use affect volumetrics, or enhance with environment lighting.
    you could hack the darkness a little bit with setting a brighter tone in the light shadow color, but then it would be wrong for the rest of a scene with other items I think.
    so increasing volumetric intensity, Or/and increasing radiosity or indirect samples intensity..that is one way to improve the illumination, but it could also result in to bright washed out clouds..it doesnīt replace true
    volume bounce scattering inside the volume.

I donīt think you or anyone (Lightwave user) will be able to match the renders I get from blender for instance, I think Lightwave lacks, and foremost in volume bounces, then perhaps something wrong with the scatter density.

Your blender render also looks way better, also..use some amount o transparency bounces, that affects the volume as well 20 perhaps, and 30 and above for blender.
    experiment with curves and contrast for color and density in blender, you seem to have set the light angle right at 45 in pitch anyway.

Given the slight unconvenient situation around the future Lighwtave development, I will not spend too much time and energy researching what may be wrong (if there is anything wrong with it that is)
    with the scattering channels, density.
    Would need to compare the basics with applied scatter data VS blenders density data and how it looks like by default and "correct" gradients needed etc.

Had the situation ben different, such as Newtek/vizrt talking about itīs future development, and seeing that there was indeed developers, volumetric engineers etc..that would have been a different thing and I would gladely
    take on that topic with feature suggestions for the issues we seem to be struggling with for nicer VDB volumes in Lightwave.

What would be interesting ..that would be to see Lightwave/Octane Users demonstrating a go at this WDA cloud asset, and see how the scattering is working in there within Lightwave.
    Lightwave Guru comes to my mind, maybe I should poke on him.

Octane could be the best solution if you are fixed on rendering and keeping it all in Lightwave, and thereby overcome those issues, for me though..the free alternative provides such good result that I donīt think I would
    invest in Octane for Lightwave, and also given the situation of wether or not Lightwave still is under major development.

A backlit volume bounce compare showcase (not lightwave) and a Different VDB sample than the WDA cloud.

300 viewport samples, no post process, quite fast to iterate to finish with GPU engine. Gtx 1080

Name:	Backlit bounce compare.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	121.6 KB 
ID:	148843

itīs the free VDB sample cloud 169, you can find it here..
    https://www.thepixellab.net/new-text...free-vdb-cloud

for more cloud related stuff, but more about blenders new tools for mesh to volume and volume displace, you could check the third party section and 1001 ways to use lightwave and blender.
    I tried to use lightwave a bit to fulfill the thread requirements so a bit of mesh creation there, then sending to blender for volume handling.

Itīs lately been spammed with clouds though, canīt imagine why..
    https://forums.newtek.com/showthread...19#post1602819

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456