Thread: Teleprompter/Live Script routable to an output

Teleprompter/Live Script routable to an output

I need to feed live script / teleprompter out of one of the outputs on our TC1. Am I missing this capability somewhere in an existing option?

Do you have Premium Access? With the Rev 7-1 or higher software this will give you the Automation tab which includles the Teleprompter controls.
    Kane Peterson
    Solutions Architect
    NewTek, Inc.

If I get you right you want to assign the teleprompter out to one of the SDI outs. You can't do that directly, teleprompter is only available as a NDI out of the TC. One solution is to assign that teleprompter source to one of the 16 inputs, then you're free to assign it to a MIX outs. Note the teleprompter signal is 720p60 no matter the session format.

Quote Originally Posted by doctorsunshine View Post
    One solution is to assign that teleprompter source to one of the 16 inputs
    If memory serves, the NDI output from the teleprompter is assigned to one of the inputs by default. Also, I think if you send it out through a Mix output to SDI, it will be be upscaled to session res if necessary - not that this necessarily confers any benefit.
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator
    ("You've got to ask yourself one question ... 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, spammer?")

Yeap Steve, if I remember well it s assigned to the last input of a system according the manual, but I checked on my VMC1 and it was not....
    Resolution info was just provided for any purpose, I use a bird dog decoder in a specific set-up to get prompter sdi feed and was surprised it was not my session resolution... can be a problem in some specific cases.

Thanks for the info, all.

Yes, I want to feed the prompter signal out of any of the available outputs. Routing it to an input and then to an output is kind of a hassle, but a good workaround for something that should not require one. The vast majority of studio-configs require a good old SDI-cable-feed to their on-camera prompters.

Quote Originally Posted by dhodlick View Post
    Yes, I want to feed the prompter signal out of any of the available outputs. Routing it to an input and then to an output is kind of a hassle, but a good workaround for something that should not require one.
    Well, it takes maybe 20 seconds to configure if you take your time. Consider that this is an optional feature and, even on those systems that have it, assigning an SDI output to the teleprompter full-time could be unwanted by many not using it in a given setting or production.

How would you approach this? Do you think it would be better to assign, say, Mix 3 to the teleprompter and an SDI output by default? I'm not sure that would be universally welcome, but am interested in your thoughts.
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator
    ("You've got to ask yourself one question ... 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, spammer?")

Well, right now I use out 1 and 2 for my main and backup feeds to my main and backup records. Occasionally I will re-configure out 2 to be a clean feed, iso, or whatever the show requires. I use output 3 to feed whatever video signal I want to a DA while also carrying the audio from Aux2. That embedded audio then goes over to an embedder/de-imbedder where it is fanned out to my mixer for all of the mix minuses I need. Then that same embedder/de-embedder takes four of my aux outs from the console and spins them down an SDI where they go to input 1 on the VS4000 and and thats how I handle those 4 mix minuses. I could quite easily see popping the teleprompter out onto that third SDI out, hitting the DA, and then splitting off the DA and feeding the prompter feed to the prompter confidence monitor right in front of me, and then off to the three studio cameras prompter hoods. Killing two birds (prompter and Aux2 audio) with one stone. And I still have one SDI out to play with

Yes I see the simplicity you're demonstrating by setting it up as you stated, but still - it's an unnecessary complication to something that would otherwise be intuitive. Plus, it would allow for greater consumer uptake of the built-in prompter/livescript capabilities since a majority probably wouldn't want to drop a few hundred on NDI converters just for prompter duty. Matter of fact, I'd wager a guess that you could spin off just the prompter part of it as a standalone offering (outside of Premium Access) and have a pretty good amount of buyers. I know that we'd have bought it.

I'm not suggesting a permanent port just for prompter. Just the ability to select it as a source for an output. If people don't want it, don't route it there.
    Last edited by dhodlick; 05-03-2020 at 09:56 AM.

If I were to use that feature being able to have it as a selection option when I goto the output configuration without burning an input would be cool. Automatically burning an output would be unfortunate. The power of these systems is the flexibility

Interesting, thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by dhodlick View Post
    Well, right now I use out 1 and 2 for my main and backup feeds to my main and backup records. Occasionally I will re-configure out 2 to be a clean feed, iso, or whatever the show requires. I use output 3 to feed whatever video signal I want to a DA while also carrying the audio from Aux2. That embedded audio then goes over to an embedder/de-imbedder where it is fanned out to my mixer for all of the mix minuses I need. Then that same embedder/de-embedder takes four of my aux outs from the console and spins them down an SDI where they go to input 1 on the VS4000 and and thats how I handle those 4 mix minuses. I could quite easily see popping the teleprompter out onto that third SDI out, hitting the DA, and then splitting off the DA and feeding the prompter feed to the prompter confidence monitor right in front of me, and then off to the three studio cameras prompter hoods. Killing two birds (prompter and Aux2 audio) with one stone. And I still have one SDI out to play with

Yes I see the simplicity you're demonstrating by setting it up as you stated, but still - it's an unnecessary complication to something that would otherwise be intuitive. Plus, it would allow for greater consumer uptake of the built-in prompter/livescript capabilities since a majority probably wouldn't want to drop a few hundred on NDI converters just for prompter duty. Matter of fact, I'd wager a guess that you could spin off just the prompter part of it as a standalone offering (outside of Premium Access) and have a pretty good amount of buyers. I know that we'd have bought it.

I'm not suggesting a permanent port just for prompter. Just the ability to select it as a source for an output. If people don't want it, don't route it there.
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator