Thread: Huge issues with lag when using NDI / VS4000 / TC1

Unhappy Huge issues with lag when using NDI / VS4000 / TC1

New TC1 and a VS4000 that is a few years old.

Ran a 4-skype show yesterday that was an hour long. 4 Skypes are coming into the TC1 via NDI and then back to the VS via NDI

I tried to feed pgm back down the pipe to each Skype caller but after 3-5 minutes of doing so, the Skype channels started to stutter and lag. Not all of the connections - only 1 or two at a time would stutter. It was a rhythmic stutter as well - every two seconds the video on the Skype channel would stop.

Concurrently, the inputs on the TC1 would freeze. I had to select a different VS source in each crosspoint and then switch back to the desired source before taking it to air. Audio was unaffected, and the VS4000 also appeared to be unaffected. The callers were not frozen in the VS4000 - they were in the TC1.

Eventually killed return video to all of the Skype channels and the problems were very nearly eliminated.

Anyone have any ideas as to what I am doing wrong here? Cisco 1gb switch is being used and the logs show that everything is well under max.

I have another 90 minute show tonight (North Texas Virtual Relay For Life) and ideally, I'd like to get this sorted.
    Last edited by dhodlick; 05-02-2020 at 07:11 AM.

There is a new TalkShow update that was just released, I'd start with that.
    http://new.tk/

Also it is recommended to send 720p video into the TalkShow, Skype doens't often go above 720p for the majority of people, sending 1080p video into it makes it work harder for no benifit. It also set the output of TalkShow to 720p as well.

Here are a few other things you can check into.
    https://support.newtek.com/hc/en-us/...-Usage-at-100-
    Kane Peterson
    Solutions Architect
    NewTek, Inc.

Thank you. I will start digging in using your post as a guide.

The show I did last night was a disaster as far as Skype goes. I even went as far as switching the TS over to SDI outputs and patched them directly into the TC1 as SDI inputs to try and lessen the load on the network. I was unable to connect anything more than two concurrent Skype feeds without terrible lag - this time, just affecting the audio - since my audio was still being brought in via NDI. I ended up changing the show on the fly to only have two callers on at once and dropping/connecting callers as the show went on because of the stuttering and freezing.

Would this also be the cause of the video looking ok on the VS4000 and frozen on the TC1?
    Last edited by dhodlick; 05-03-2020 at 10:05 AM.

Update:
    Taking SDI out of all 4 VS4000 channels and taking them into the 4 SDI in's of the TC1 in inputs 1-4. Then inputs 5-8 are the NDI VS4000 feeds. Nothing else is connected to this network and it is a Cisco 1gb switch.

All 4 sdi feeds have been rock solid for 2 hours now. Zero problems. The NDI feeds are a disaster. All of them are now rhythmically stuttering and completely unusable for air. Ch#1 of Skype via NDI has locked down completely and the video is frozen. Yet over on the VS4000 interface and via the straight SDI out of the VS4000 - Ch1 is a-ok.

Any ideas where to look next?

Stats on TC1:
    CPU: 8%, Mem: 17%, GPU: 7%, Drive C: 0%, NIC 4: 2%

According to the stats, the TC isn't even breathing hard, yet the NDI stuff is useless. The VS4000 does not appear to be the problem either....

What version VS4000 software, a new release come out just a few days ago. 2-0-190515

http://new.tk/dl
    Kane Peterson
    Solutions Architect
    NewTek, Inc.

Quote Originally Posted by kanep View Post
    What version VS4000 software, a new release come out just a few days ago. 2-0-190515

I am on the latest version. I also downloaded and re-installed the NDI drivers even though they were also fully up to date. I thought it may be the NIC driver, but looking at the stats, its working fine too.

I threw in the towel today and will be back at it tomorrow trying to sort it out. I can get around this problem for now by using the SDI's, but for programs in the future where I am using 4 SDI cams and then 4 channels of Skype via NDI - I will be screwed. It's looking more and more like this is an issue with the TC1.

Try plugging in a second Ethernet cable into the second port on the Tricaster.
    Tricaster 460 Advanced Edition 2, Tricaster 40 V1
    2 Sony PXW-X70 Cameras, 2 Panasonic AG-HMC40P Cameras
    VSE 2.5 - VSE Advanced Edition, A bunch of Doo-Dads and cables

Newtek Elite Partner
    Quote Originally Posted by Stream View Post
    Try plugging in a second Ethernet cable into the second port on the Tricaster.
    I was going to suggest the same thing.

Quote Originally Posted by kanep View Post

I think that was roughly now but last year :-p

Using it for the control surface. Having the CS require use of one of the two available ports instead of a USB is..... a questionable decision....

Quote Originally Posted by dhodlick View Post
    Using it for the control surface. Having the CS require use of one of the two available ports instead of a USB is..... a questionable decision....
    You can connect the CS to a switch. Or get a USB to Etherent adapter, the CS is only 100Mb speed.
    Kane Peterson
    Solutions Architect
    NewTek, Inc.

Tried hooking it into the switch and there was a lot of lag between the button push and the switch. Yet another vote for something in the TC1 being wonky. I also tried a Linksys USB adapter because I had the same thought. It no workie. Do you have any adapters that have been confirmed to work? This is a great option and I appreciate you confirming that it is supposed to work.

It possible that when you use a USB to Ethernet adapter, that you might need to disconnect from other networks so that the CS 'network' is the only one to search. Once you have it checked in the software, then connect back to the other networks.
    Kane Peterson
    Solutions Architect
    NewTek, Inc.