Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Surface ID

Surface ID

What's the purpose of the Surface ID field on the Shading Model tab in the Surface Editor? Was this something that was someplace else in 2018,19?
    Tim Parsons
    Technical Designer
    Sauder Woodworking Co.

http://www.sauder.com

Haven't explored that yet.

When you do an exr export, there's a Surface ID option which is quite handy in some compositing tasks. Can only assume it's related. Take a peak with the VPR Buffer options.
    "Never be a cat in a cartoon. Never." Chief Wiggum

The Big Apexx System:
    AMD RYZEN THREADRIPPER 2990WX Processor (3.00GHz)
    64GB DDR4-2666
    2x NVIDIA Quadro RTX 4000 8GB 32 Core (64 cores avail)

Still...Absolute Amateur scallahan1's Avatar
    I peeked at the manual entry for that and it didn't mean a thing to me. Not that deep in surfacing myself. Can you say Amateur? LOL.

https://docs.lightwave3d.com/lw2020/...dels-Photoreal

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by Ma3rk View Post
    Haven't explored that yet.

When you do an exr export, there's a Surface ID option which is quite handy in some compositing tasks. Can only assume it's related. Take a peak with the VPR Buffer options.
    Yeah I save out Surface ID buffers all the time for comping.

Quote Originally Posted by scallahan1 View Post
    I peeked at the manual entry for that and it didn't mean a thing to me. Not that deep in surfacing myself. Can you say Amateur? LOL.

https://docs.lightwave3d.com/lw2020/...dels-Photoreal

Steve
    From the docs "SurfaceID - You can override the numeric identity of the current surface by changing the number in this field"
    Not sure why I'd want to do that.

More research needed. Thanks.
    Tim Parsons
    Technical Designer
    Sauder Woodworking Co.

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Parsons View Post
    Yeah I save out Surface ID buffers all the time for comping.

From the docs "SurfaceID - You can override the numeric identity of the current surface by changing the number in this field"

More research needed. Thanks.
    Ya, yet another "why isn't there a VISUAL of what the hell that means..." thing for BeeVee to get an entry for.

The Big Apexx System:
    64GB DDR4-2666

Just guessing here but maybe that's a way to assign a consistent fixed value to a surface ID? Sorry, I don't have LW open right now to check.

I've used suface/object ID between LightWave and Fusion for years. For example, in my never-ending personal project B2, I use it to color correct a certain instanced tombstone that renders slightly brighter than the others so I don't notice a pattern so much in the distance.

BTW, at work we've use Cryptomatte between Maya and Nuke or AE, instead of the standard surface/object ID, and it's pretty neat. I just enable some options and then Ctrl-Click in the image to add custom mattes for anything in the render whenever I need 'em, with proper aa edges...so simple.

LightWave (via exrTrader) and Fusion also have this capability but I haven't tried Cryptomatte with these programs yet. Now that I'm thinking about it, I should try it today; Cryptomatte has been super convenient for me in other programs. More info: https://wiki.db-w.com/exrtrader201cryptomatte

yeah, I am surprised Cryptomatte is not part of LW.

Quote Originally Posted by Ma3rk View Post
    Ya, yet another "why isn't there a VISUAL of what the hell that means..." thing for BeeVee to get an entry for.
    Good job I happened to look at this thread. There is a link at the bottom of every wiki page for reporting a bug or a feature request for the documentation that you can use to open the Feedback Agent. Sending a report into the system has far more chance of resolution than talking about it on the forum...

B
    Ben Vost - NewTek LightWave 3D development
    LightWave 3D Trial Edition
    AMD Threadripper 1950X, Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, 32GB RAM, nVidia GeForce GTX 1050Ti (4GB and 768 CUDA cores) and GTX 1080 (8GB and 2560 CUDA cores) driver version 430.86
    AMD FX8350 4.2 GHz, Windows 7 SP1 Home Premium 64-bit, 16GB RAM, nVidia GeForce GTX 1050Ti (416.34, 4GB and 768 CUDA cores)
    Dell Server, Windows 10 Pro, Intel Xeon E3-1220 @3.10 GHz, 8 GB RAM, Quadro K620
    Laptop with Intel i7, nVidia Quadro 2000Mw/ 2GB (377.83 and 192 CUDA cores), Windows 10 Professional 64-bit, 8GB RAM
    Mac Mini 2.26 GHz Core 2 Duo, 4 GB RAM, 10.10.3

So you don’t know what it’s for either BeeVee?��
    Tim Parsons
    Technical Designer
    Sauder Woodworking Co.

So you don’t know what it’s for either BeeVee?��
    <snicker>

Très diplomatique!

The Big Apexx System:
    64GB DDR4-2666

I just write stuff up as they give it me. Sometimes I don't ask further questions, there's so much to write. That's why I need feature requests or bug reports (FRs for further explanation, BRs if something's wrong) to show me that more attention is needed in a specific area.

B
    Ben Vost - NewTek LightWave 3D development
    LightWave 3D Trial Edition
    AMD Threadripper 1950X, Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, 32GB RAM, nVidia GeForce GTX 1050Ti (4GB and 768 CUDA cores) and GTX 1080 (8GB and 2560 CUDA cores) driver version 430.86
    AMD FX8350 4.2 GHz, Windows 7 SP1 Home Premium 64-bit, 16GB RAM, nVidia GeForce GTX 1050Ti (416.34, 4GB and 768 CUDA cores)
    Dell Server, Windows 10 Pro, Intel Xeon E3-1220 @3.10 GHz, 8 GB RAM, Quadro K620
    Laptop with Intel i7, nVidia Quadro 2000Mw/ 2GB (377.83 and 192 CUDA cores), Windows 10 Professional 64-bit, 8GB RAM
    Mac Mini 2.26 GHz Core 2 Duo, 4 GB RAM, 10.10.3

I hear ya!
    Tim Parsons
    Technical Designer
    Sauder Woodworking Co.

...From the docs "SurfaceID - You can override the numeric identity of the current surface by changing the number in this field"
    Late to the party...
    You can override the SurfaceID for multiple surfaces (give them the same ID) to get the same mask for all of them in the SurfaceID buffer (instead different for each).

Perhaps we can find other uses for this.

ciao
    Thomas
    Web: www.dieleinwandhelden.com

I use two pieces of the three-piece application with mocap module.

Yep, you can use whatever ID you want for any surface... so, if you require a mask that incorporates three different surfaces/materials, you can use the Surface ID override to include them all in the same buffer. Quite handy to be honest, if you need this sort of thing.
    LairdSquared | 3D Design & Animation

Desk Work:
    HP Z840, Dual Xeon E5-2690 v2, 32GB RAM, Quadro K5000 4GB
    Desk Home:
    HP Z620, Dual Xeon E5-2680, 80GB RAM, Geforce 1050 Ti 4GB

Yep - I just saw your video lardbros, could be very handy at times.
    Tim Parsons
    Technical Designer
    Sauder Woodworking Co.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast