Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: So Long.

Quote Originally Posted by hypersuperduper View Post
    As the blender hordes with their flashy tutorials and bones that are bendy sweep across the 3d landscape burning the old kingdoms to the ground and leaving naught but ash and salted earth in their wake, we, the chosen few, holders of the arcane wisdom of the lightwave, who shun the undo of the weak and spin the quad destructively shall never be conquered.
    And we can finally die in peace when devs implement unified physics engine. And of course, fix some old bugs in the modeler.

As the blender hordes with their flashy tutorials and bones that are bendy sweep across the 3d landscape burning the old kingdoms to the ground and leaving naught but ash and salted earth in their wake, we, the chosen few, holders of the arcane wisdom of the lightwave, who shun the undo of the weak and spin the quad destructively shall never be conquered.
    Boy, this is to be read while listening to some Manowar tune ! The Final Battle would do it !

Quote Originally Posted by erikals View Post

yes, currently only 1600...

...one day, my life will have a meaning.
    Last edited by Qexit; 05-05-2020 at 05:21 PM.
    Kevin F Stubbs

Remember...one size does NOT fit all

Lmao

So funny. Thanks for writing that. And as with all good humor, there's some truth in it.

Quote Originally Posted by Qexit View Post
    42 last year...
    Last edited by erikals; 05-05-2020 at 06:18 PM.
    LW vidz   DPont donate   LW Facebook   IKBooster   My vidz

43 and running...

Quote Originally Posted by erikals View Post

42 last year...
    42 = the answer to the ultimate question of Life, the Universe and Everything.....or have you never heard, read or watched 'The Hitch-hiker's Guide to the Galaxy' by the late great Douglas Adams
    Kevin F Stubbs

Remember...one size does NOT fit all

yes, sure have   just wondering what it said about 43... 

This thread is so inspirational! I wanted to give my farewell as well. To all of you flaky fanboys who after so long still think that software matters. I've bought some software for a single contract. It doesn't even matter to mention the name. Some of that software paid itself and then some. Some of it, paid off a whole lot more than it's worth. I never thanked the software. I thanked my intuition to keep learning new stuff, even stuff that sometimes seemed irrelevant. It opened doors for me. You think blender can open doors for you? Go ahead and use it. Nobody who is worth a dime as a professional will judge you for what you use. They will judge you for what you create and what you deliver. For your experience, your problem solving, your persistence to detail, your professionalism. So don't make a flamboyant exit thread. I personally don't care NT probably doesn't either. I still use LW 2018, and do awesome with it. Gee, I once made crazy money from a client just by writting a very simple Lscript that sped up my work and did stuff their engineers couldn't do with their expensive cad software. I could have bought many versions of LW with that 50 line lscript code and I'm not even a programmer. See what I mean? Use the tools you need to create, but don't expect the tools to have a make money button in the next version. That's all on you.
    There... I said my piece, and I don't care if anyone got offended. I'm too old for this sh*t.

Quote Originally Posted by Dennik View Post
    This thread is so inspirational! I wanted to give my farewell as well. To all of you flaky fanboys who after so long still think that software matters. I've bought some software for a single contract. It doesn't even matter to mention the name. Some of that software paid itself and then some. Some of it, paid off a whole lot more than it's worth. I never thanked the software. I thanked my intuition to keep learning new stuff, even stuff that sometimes seemed irrelevant. It opened doors for me. You think blender can open doors for you? Go ahead and use it. Nobody who is worth a dime as a professional will judge you for what you use. They will judge you for what you create and what you deliver. For your experience, your problem solving, your persistence to detail, your professionalism. So don't make a flamboyant exit thread. I personally don't care NT probably doesn't either. I still use LW 2018, and do awesome with it. Gee, I once made crazy money from a client just by writting a very simple Lscript that sped up my work and did stuff their engineers couldn't do with their expensive cad software. I could have bought many versions of LW with that 50 line lscript code and I'm not even a programmer. See what I mean? Use the tools you need to create, but don't expect the tools to have a make money button in the next version. That's all on you.
    There... I said my piece, and I don't care if anyone got offended. I'm too old for this sh*t.
    Exactly!!! Opinions are like a$$holes.... everybody has one (Clint Eastwood) and personally I don't care about any of them when I'm sober. So get out there, make some art and show it to the world!

Yes, Make Some Art

Quote Originally Posted by peebeearr View Post
    So get out there, make some art and show it to the world!
    This is exactly right. In filmmaking, there's such a focus on gear and what camera you're using (ARRI, Sony, Canon, Panasonic, etc), but it really comes down to what you're doing with the gear. Is the gear a factor? Yes. But it is the writer/director/cinematographer that make the difference. Steven Soderbergh shot the feature film Unsane with an iPhone7 Plus.

And although the software is a factor, it is the people using it that matter. So, as you say, make some art and show it to the world. That's it, right there. At least, that's my ultimate goal.

Though this isn't 3D, this short shows it doesn't take a lot to make something interesting.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aLpiWLBhQm8
    Last edited by gdkeast; 05-05-2020 at 11:05 PM.

So, who won?
    shrox www.shrox.com
    -----------------------
    Heavy Metal Landing

-----------------------
    I build the best spaceships, the biggest spaceships, they're great, you'll love them.

What I don't understand is how the 3D CAD software market size got to be $8.66bn, surely people have enough experience, problem solving ability, persistence and professionalism not to need spend so much on software? Why would a company hire out work when they have a team of engineers, do those employed not have experience, an aptitude for problem solving, persistence and professionalism? Surely once you put any of these into a bit of software, it'll do what you want.

Threads like this one are made to indicate that despite experience and persistence at the least, the software is not moving in a direction where being fond of it is enough. What is or isn't enough may be subjective and as such leaving threads would be self indulgent for many, but with someone who has used LightWave since version 5, I think they have their place both for us users and for the team.

I understand the urge to be defensive yet I find such sentiments have the potential to do more harm than that which they intend to defend against. They may be a salve to read, makes you feel nice and warm, like the frog before he's boiled.

Quote Originally Posted by shrox View Post
    So, who won?
    Rambo.
    Sentenced to 310 years for crimes against modelling and rendering.

Quote Originally Posted by Oedo 808 View Post
    ...Why would a company hire out work when they have a team of engineers, do those employed not have experience, an aptitude for problem solving, persistence and professionalism?
    Many companies have large engineering teams but they often lack expertise in specific areas and are reluctant for important changes or decisions without external help. And yes, lots of them suck in problem solving. Some of them are not skilled or smart enough for their profession or simply lazy. I've been making a good living from consulting companies like that (not in 3D) the last 20 years.

Quote Originally Posted by Marander View Post
    Many companies have large engineering teams but they often lack expertise in specific areas and are reluctant for important changes or decisions without external help. And yes, lots of them suck in problem solving. Some of them are not skilled or smart enough for their profession or simply lazy. I've been making a good living from consulting companies like that (not in 3D) the last 20 years.
    Did you happen to read any of the posts prior to mine? They do say sarcasm is the lowest form of wit, serves me right I suppose.
    Sentenced to 310 years for crimes against modelling and rendering.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345