Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: So Long.

Thumbs down So Long.

I've been a fan boy since lightwave 5 days.
    I've been on your side and defended you for decades now.
    But now, so long!
    This version is even worse than the last. Let's not even call it a release it is a point update at best.
    I've sat here and watched co-workers using blender for free and running circles around Newtek's development.

I'm someone who depends on my 3d tools daily, but sadly, the writing has been on the wall for a long time as far as LightWave goes.
    Truly disappointed, Newtek!

sorry to see you go.

LW vidz   DPont donate   LW Facebook   IKBooster   My vidz

Quote Originally Posted by dblincoe View Post
    I've been a fan boy since lightwave 5 days...
    That may be the problem. This may be challenging advice to a Mac user...Don't be a fanboy of anything. Just do awesome work and don't credit/blame your tools.

...I've sat here and watched co-workers using blender for free and running circles around Newtek's development...
    Wait...Blender is free?!!! OMG. Thank you for telling us.

However, best wishes on the future, Dan.
    Last edited by raymondtrace; 05-01-2020 at 03:23 PM.
    LW4, 7.5D, 2015, 2018, 2019, 2020 running portably on a USB drive.
    Active LW Development in 2020: DB&W | Deep FX | DPont | LWCAD | TrueArt | ...

Blender may be free, but it's interface is horible to me! Tried many times, but couldn't get used to it. I do think that this upgrade to LW is really slim, but after all, we have all been crying for a new version for awhile now! They did respond.

Quote Originally Posted by JamesCurtis View Post
    Blender may be free, but it's interface is horible to me! Tried many times, but couldn't get used to it. I do think that this upgrade to LW is really slim, but after all, we have all been crying for a new version for awhile now! They did respond.

Takes a lot of getting used to, I tried it in 2015 I think, opened a few minutes and closed very fast quite often.
    But after that they have changed a few things, yet it is still cluttered someways and structured in a strange way.

I was just messing with curves in blender, I complained partly about curves not being able to taper without a profile, but I was wrong,
    just found the radius button for the curves in blender, where you scale any selected curve point..and that goes not only for end tapering but anywhere in the curves,
    which is more powerful than the px bezier curve tool in lightwave.

Though I still prefer laying out lightwave splines if I am sure of what to do, and only for modeling and not animation that is, itīs direct and just draw it,
    while in blender you need to swap to edit mode add a curve, which always start in the middle as origin point,
    and you have to have added a curve in order to start the draw tool for a new drawing curve..which I am not comfortable with.
    I think Ztreem made a script to start it without that though..but I would have to ask him for that one

when you bridge faces ..you got this nice profile you can set for the bridge, which you canīt with the regular bridge tool in Lightwave,
    on the other hand, blender doesnīt have a spline bridge tool..som curve carv addons to align curves to faces then you have to merge them ..but thatīs not near the same I think.

One thing I like about extending, moving, face extrude in blender, that is always done with default respect to normals,
    which means I only have to use the right mouse while doing it, while in Lightwave you have to ctrl constrain the action.
    I prefer it that way as blender does that, because the percent of cases where I need a normal constrained extend, extrude etc..is over 90% compared to the times I need a non constrained move or extend or bevel.
    Would be nice if Lightwave could have a modeler option to change that to be a normal extend as default, and another ctrl to unlock the constrain instead.

I also complained about the blender UI being more cluttered than lightwaves in some areas, but for some other elements or color customization, it is more flexible without the need to close lightwave and reboot only to see how your changes would look like.
    But Generally ..lightwaves UI is cleaner and easier to set up menus, and buttons where you want them..compared to blender.. but changing colors or scaling windows is an absolute nightmare in lightwave.

Getting access to backdrop environments is a bit easier in Lightwave I think, itīs straight on backdrop and add environment, while in blender you need to know what world is and where to find that icon that represents it, and then go to itīs color dot icon and add sky texture.

Buh-Bye.

Can I have your LW-related stuff?
    Humans are pretty much monkeys with car keys.

Quote Originally Posted by Signal to Noise View Post
    Buh-Bye.

Can I have your LW-related stuff?
    to whom do you adress?

OP, i'd assume. 
    LW vidz   DPont donate   LW Facebook   IKBooster   My vidz

its unfortunate that this is happening. Noticed the same feedback elsewhere, with long time users. Need to tackle the long standing issues and feature requests, even if it isn't the fun or interesting thing to do. No point implementing the fun stuff if nobody is around to pay for and use it. :/

saying the same thing over and over, must be insane, right? Or is it stupid to give customers what they ask for?

I've been a fan boy since lightwave 5 days.
    I've been on your side and defended you for decades now.
    But now, so long!
    This version is even worse than the last. Let's not even call it a release it is a point update at best.
    I've sat here and watched co-workers using blender for free and running circles around Newtek's development.

I'm someone who depends on my 3d tools daily, but sadly, the writing has been on the wall for a long time as far as LightWave goes.
    Truly disappointed, Newtek!
    Why don't you skip a version and see what's next? Apparently you could do your work with the previous version? Good thing about Lightwave is that you can actually do that because all your older versions will work indefinitely.

What is it exactly that you are disappointed about? The new renderer looks to be pretty fast and gives very nice results from what I have seen on the Lightwiki facebook group?

Anyway, no problem in learning other tools though.

No doubt, Blender is great, and I use it too... But it's just best to use as many packages as you can that make your life easier.
    As previous people say, don't be a fanboy. I'm a bit of a LightWave fanboy, but I tend to be the underdog supporter... But, don't limit yourself. I use 3dsmax, Blender, UE4, Substance Painter and Designer... None of them are perfect, by any means, BUT... they all help me get my **** done
    LairdSquared | 3D Design & Animation

Desk Work:
    HP Z840, Dual Xeon E5-2690 v2, 32GB RAM, Quadro K5000 4GB
    Desk Home:
    HP Z620, Dual Xeon E5-2680, 80GB RAM, Geforce 1050 Ti 4GB

Well said. The more tools you have access to, the more you can pick the right one for the job. LW is one of many. No point in limiting options.

Not really sure what the point of farewell announcements like this are.

Quote Originally Posted by hypersuperduper View Post
    Not really sure what the point of farewell announcements like this are.
    may be because you did not use this software since version 5... you may not associate the agony of current Lightwave for an user like him...

Quote Originally Posted by tyrot View Post
    may be because you did not use this software since version 5... you may not associate the agony of current Lightwave for an user like him...
    I've been a user since version 5,5 and I can't see the point of posting a farewell either.
    What good do you think it will do? Hope that Newtek jump in and tell you, wait here's another update we forgot to release that have everything you hoped for? If every time a LW user decides to start using another 3D software post a farewell the whole forum would be filled with it.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast