Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: LightWave 2020 / Hope for the Future

LightWave 2020 / Hope for the Future

video by hawaiifilmschool, worth a look  

LW vidz   DPont donate   LW Facebook   IKBooster   My vidz

Thanks erikals. In contrast though:-

I thought Paul was a likeable user, so it's a pity to see him go. But I am definitely sticking with Lightwave and will upgrade imminently.

Render engines are a big deal and whilst we'd like other bells and whistles, render changes and improvements are something to be investing in for sure. I like the efforts to keep on at it.

Whilst many want GPU, CPU based rendering is still more relevant than ever now that these new AMD monster chips are around. I'm currently on an AMD Ryzen 7 3700X and it makes life better for the the CPU based render engines.

I have Octane but the prices for this have become increasingly more as time passes.

My options.

1. Buy Upgrade Perpetual from V4 to Octane 2020 that would cost around 600 Euros.
    2. LW2020 - Ģ480
    3. Stick with LW2019 and Octane V4.
    'LW CAN IF YOU CAN BE ARSED TO TRY HARDER'

LW2020 - LWCAD - ODTOOLS 2019 - OCTANE V4

Quote Originally Posted by TheLexx View Post
    Thanks erikals. In contrast though:-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=828f4v7EBBY

I thought Paul was a likeable user, so it's a pity to see him go. But I am definitely sticking with Lightwave and will upgrade imminently.
    if you look at the comments in that video, you'll see i fixed his problem.  [case closed]
    i also offered help.
    never heard back, so i'm smacking his opinion under the radar currently.

Quote Originally Posted by erikals View Post
    if you look at the comments in that video, you'll see i fixed his problem.  [case closed]
    i also offered help.
    never heard back, so i'm smacking his opinion under the radar currently.
    Well to be fair the thread came alive with help and solutions from multiple sources as well, so positive things have continued even if Paul left the building!

Marty3DGuru

yes, LW2020 and AMD 3900X makes using Octane much less important.
    it also means LightWave once again is Great for render farms.

------------------

Well to be fair the thread came alive with help and solutions from multiple sources
    oh sure, i just wish he was more consistent. (replied)
    that said, he did have a point. but again, it is pretty much fixed.

3D is no easy field, hope he finds the solutions he is looking for.
    but as for Sliders management. Fixed.

Last edited by erikals; 04-30-2020 at 06:16 PM.

Fixed. Sliders live on.

Will Paul return?. Maybe not, it's hard to return after an epic video.

I like hawaiifilmschool, I have watched a few videos, he makes very valid points, it's all true, I agree.

Perhaps, if you like a bunch of baseless, unfalsifiable and/or subjective claims without even tiny amounts of qualitative or quantitative evidence supporting them, mixed in with hyperbolic claims that are obviously and demonstrably false (f.e. "Can do anything any other 3D pkg can do", "It's Completely Customizable").

At least Paul bothered to provide supporting evidence for his position.

(edit) Also note how the presenter starts off saying he's providing "reasons for hope in future", restates as (ostensibly objective) "reasons LW is still a good 3D program", then finally as "reasons he likes Lightwave" (which is what they turned out to be -- mostly subjective opinions). If he thought his claims were reasons for hope in LW's future, he definitely missed that mark by a mile.
    Last edited by jwiede; 04-30-2020 at 07:50 PM.
    John W.
    LW2015.3UB/2019.1.5 on MacPro(12C/24T/10.13.6),64GB RAM, NV 980ti

sorry, read to fast, but please.... stay a bit more positive.

every darn third reply from you is negative.
    Last edited by erikals; 04-30-2020 at 07:10 PM.

sorry, read to fast, but please.... stay a bit more positive.

every darn third reply from you is negative.
    He repeatedly presented subjective and even demonstrably false claims as objective fact. He didn't even bother to attempt supporting his claims in most cases. His video was like a punch list for poor / logically-flawed argumentation tactics -- a freshman high-school debater could tear those to shreds without effort.

If calling him out for that constitutes "negativity" in your book, that's on you.
    Last edited by jwiede; 04-30-2020 at 07:55 PM.
    John W.
    LW2015.3UB/2019.1.5 on MacPro(12C/24T/10.13.6),64GB RAM, NV 980ti

He didn't even bother to attempt supporting his claims in most cases.
    i support him, since every time you do, there is One of those guys, who says, that's not true.

He could argue things to death, and still, some of those (always the same people) would say... "That's not true"

For everything relative, those guy will come with a negative remark, and label their truth, as THE truth.

He can't win against crusaders, they will point fingers, no matter what, so he shouldn't even try.

Quote Originally Posted by jwiede View Post
    He repeatedly presented subjective and even demonstrably false claims as objective fact. He didn't even bother to attempt supporting his claims in most cases. His video was like a punch list for poor / logically-flawed argumentation tactics -- a freshman high-school debater could tear those to shreds without effort.

If calling him out for that constitutes "negativity" in your book, that's on you.
    Regardless of the points of the video, erikal is demonstrably correct; in multiple threads, you have been generally negative about this current release.

I'm not saying you don't have valid points; but it's a logical fallacy to try to refute that statement when it is so easily proven correct in the literal sense, i.e., "negativity - the expression of criticism of or pessimism about something."

John makes logical points that pretty much define the last decade of LW's history. Newtek won't put out anything about the future of the software, so some users get frustrated and quit. Now with this underwhelming upgrade in the middle of a poor economic time, why should we feel hopeful that things will change?
    17Aug20: Lightwave 2019.1.5 Build 3134, win10 pro 1909, AMD Ryzen 1800+, 64 GB mem, EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 ti v452.06 (17Aug20), LG Ultra 4K (2)

I pretty much agree with his points as well. If a tool works for you, use it. If it doesn't, keep looking. How hard is that?

Wow. 30 years of Lightwave. Remember what the 3D options even were back then? Few.

I haven't watched Paul's vid; don't intend to. Came across enough of his postings over the years to be fairly certain I'd gain nothing other than the loss of a 1/2 hour. Some valid points perhaps, but simply posting a vid of that length frankly is telling.

As to the topic, I hope some of the Development notes are a good thing. I know one of the main reasons we lost one of our prominent 3rd party developers & nearly lost another, was due to the fickle SDK. I'm not a programmer, but I hope the new one brings some stability in that regard, and that some things can get fixed & more importantly, stay fixed.
    Earth can't be flat otherwise cats would have pushed everything off the edge!

The Big Apexx System:
    AMD RYZEN THREADRIPPER 2990WX Processor (3.00GHz)
    64GB
    2x NVIDIA Quadro RTX 4000 8GB 32 Core

Make Your Films Effective DiscreetFX's Avatar
    Thanx for the nice video erikals, I wish the very best future for LightWave 3D.
    DiscreetFX Team
    http://www.discreetfx.com
    Making Your Digital Films More Effective!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast