Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2020 slow ? - see the FB comments

2020 slow ? - see the FB comments

if u feel 2020 is slow navigating, u might wanna check these FB posts >

https://www.facebook.com/groups/ligh...3955227043794/
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/ligh...4719416967375/
    LW vidz   DPont donate   LightWiki   RHiggit   IKBooster   My vidz

Yes I had to turn threaded optimisation off. At first I got worried importing and testing some .fbx's but the fix was to turn it off.
    'LW CAN IF YOU CAN BE ARSED TO TRY HARDER'

LW2020 - LWCAD - ODTOOLS 2019 - OCTANE V4

Yes, this is perhaps the most unpleasant bug in lw2020.

Yes - even real simple scenes with super simple rigs are slow. I sent in reports with content.
    Tim Parsons
    Technical Designer
    Sauder Woodworking Co.

http://www.sauder.com

Quote Originally Posted by erikals View Post
    if u feel 2020 is slow navigating, u might wanna check these FB posts >

https://www.facebook.com/groups/ligh...3955227043794/
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/ligh...4719416967375/
    Problem is, these are not "harmless" options to turn off. Newtek really need to fix/address the underlying problem, ASAP.

Turning off "Threaded Mesh Eval" (TME) may not matter much for simple objects, but the larger vert/poly-count per object, the more having TME off harms modifier performance (so likely at least morphing, MDD, sub-d's, and related "modifier"-type* geometry-handling perf, there are prob. other operations impacted as well). Similarly, turning off "Enable Deform" has rather significant impacts, say, when working with deformation (as in many-to-most rigging & animation workflows).

How did this bug "slip past" both Newtek LW testing and alpha/beta testing?!?! It's not the tiniest bit subtle or difficult to repro.**

Has there been any word whether there's a fix for this issue coming in .0.1 or whatever the first patch is called? Or is the fix further down the road?

*: Aside, it'd be interesting to see how Metamorphic performance is impacted with TME on versus off.

**: Sorry, but this is approaching "couldn't find your backside with both hands, a full-length mirror, implanted RFID microchip, a team of sherpas, three trained rhesus helper monkeys, a string-of-pearls GPS sat system and handheld receiver, eight nano-articulated prosthetic spider legs, and The Eye of Sauron"-level shamefulness. It's all but visible from orbit.
    Last edited by jwiede; 04-30-2020 at 08:19 PM.
    John W.
    LW2015.3UB/2019.1.5 on MacPro(12C/24T/10.13.6),64GB RAM, NV 980ti

Quote Originally Posted by jwiede View Post

How did this bug "slip past" both Newtek LW testing and alpha/beta testing?!?! It's not the tiniest bit subtle or difficult to repro.**

Has there been any word whether there's a fix for this issue coming in .0.1 or whatever the first patch is called? Or is the fix further down the road?
    Yes, I wondered that too.... I actually encountered this last night when handling a (very polygon heavy) object in Modeler... I could not perform a simple rotation!! In 2018 the rotation took about 15 seconds but in 2020 I actually had to kill Modeler as it would take waaaay too long.

Other point is the broken portal lights.... that is something I use a lot and it is so basic that I can't believe that that also slipped by the beta testers.

Anyway, let's hope the first fix comes quick.....

Seems a number of glaring things slipped past testing...which makes me wonder if there was a beta. Maybe the reason for the bugs is that someone put the wrong archive up when they released it (its dated nearly 2 months prior to release date).
    Rob Depew
    Modeler/Animator/Editor
    Web Portfolio
    My Patreon
    YouTube
    Lightwave3D 2019, RF10, Gaea and more..
    Threadripper 32 core , 48gb, GTX-1070
    Asus 752vt i7 2.6 x 4, 48gb, GTX-970

Quote Originally Posted by lwanmtr View Post
    Seems a number of glaring things slipped past testing...which makes me wonder if there was a beta. Maybe the reason for the bugs is that someone put the wrong archive up when they released it (its dated nearly 2 months prior to release date).
    maybe they should do an open beta again and we can all make it a better release?

Look at how DB&W does it, look at how others dev with community input. LW unity plugins, scripts, dpont, Octane. They are all better products for it.
    Last edited by gar26lw; 05-01-2020 at 12:25 AM.

agree, sometimes i feel the Beta team should be bigger.

The most succesful rollout of LW was 9.6..and that was because of the open beta they ran.
    Rob Depew
    Modeler/Animator/Editor
    Web Portfolio
    My Patreon
    YouTube
    Lightwave3D 2019, RF10, Gaea and more..
    Threadripper 32 core , 48gb, GTX-1070
    Asus 752vt i7 2.6 x 4, 48gb, GTX-970

Quote Originally Posted by jwiede View Post
    Problem is, these are not "harmless" options to turn off. Newtek really need to fix/address the underlying problem, ASAP.

Turning off "Threaded Mesh Eval" (TME) may not matter much for simple objects, but the larger vert/poly-count per object, the more having TME off harms modifier performance (so likely at least morphing, MDD, sub-d's, and related "modifier"-type* geometry-handling perf, there are prob. other operations impacted as well). Similarly, turning off "Enable Deform" has rather significant impacts, say, when working with deformation (as in many-to-most rigging & animation workflows).

*: Aside, it'd be interesting to see how Metamorphic performance is impacted with TME on versus off.

**: Sorry, but this is approaching "couldn't find your backside with both hands, a full-length mirror, implanted RFID microchip, a team of sherpas, three trained rhesus helper monkeys, a string-of-pearls GPS sat system and handheld receiver, eight nano-articulated prosthetic spider legs, and The Eye of Sauron"-level shamefulness. It's all but visible from orbit.
    yes users on FB were told a fix was coming very soon along with fixes for lights, I think it is hard to replicate as not everyone was experiencing it or experiencing it the same way, and the cause is different, for some it was the thread evaluation, others found removing all the lights fixed it, some changing options in the deformation settings,
    Intel i9 7980xe, Asus Rampage Vi extreme, 2x NVIDIA GTX1070ti, 64GB DDR4 3200 corsair vengeance,
    http://digitawn.co.uk https://www.shapeways.com/shops/digi...ction=Cars&s=0

Quote Originally Posted by erikals View Post
    agree, sometimes i feel the Beta team should be bigger.
    Started testing LW 2020, loads of bugs. As someone said, its feeling like beta.

This whole beta discussion is overplayed.

The amount of games released by AAA studios that get constantly berated for this or that ,and this needs to be fixed or that is borked, it is insane and never ends.

The important thing is does the developer listen and fix reported bugs. Sometimes they do and sometimes they can't, that is just the way it is.

If people say this version could be an earlier build from 2 months ago, then of course it might be, it probably is the most stable version to date and companies can't delay a release forever.

You make the decision to release if a lot can be benefited from the newest versions even if it is not perfect. Anyone that uses Octane knows that this is how it has gone on for ages now, stuff is always being fixed or not working, just read the forum over at OTOY.
    Last edited by Marty3DGuru; 05-01-2020 at 06:53 AM.
    'LW CAN IF YOU CAN BE ARSED TO TRY HARDER'

LW2020 - LWCAD - ODTOOLS 2019 - OCTANE V4

This whole beta discussion is overplayed.
    somewhat agree, there will always be quite a few bugs.
    i don't think the Beta team is that big tho'
    just a guess here...

Quote Originally Posted by lwanmtr View Post
    ...Maybe the reason for the bugs is that someone put the wrong archive up when they released it (its dated nearly 2 months prior to release date).
    That's not how software development works. You should be worried if they put out an archive that was dated the day before.

The 2 months difference indicates this was a final build which was (probably) tested for 2 months. It met the defined criteria for this phase of release. This issue may have been overlooked or it may have been known, but a release was necessary.
    LW4, 7.5D, 2015, 2018, 2019, 2020 running portably on a USB drive on an Amiga 2500 running Wine.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast