Thread: Ndi & aws

Ndi & aws

AWS doesn't support multicasting in their VPCs (private networks). I would love to know if there is another way we can get NDI working between 2 PCs in my AWS VPC. I would like to virtualize my LiveU setup with Vmix PCs.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be great.

NDI supports 'Remote Sources' and 'Discovery Server' in cases where multicast is disabled. All of this can be configured using NDI Access Manager which is included with NDI Tools.
    Kane Peterson
    Solutions Architect
    NewTek, Inc.

Kane, forgive me for being naive about NDI Access Manager. Thanks for directing me there. What I was able to get configured was Access Manager pointing to another server. Then Studio Monitor is able to see it. Then I can pull it in to Vmix via Studio Monitor.

Is this the correct way to make this work? Or is there a way to eliminate Studio Monitor as the middle man? Because Vmix doesn't seem to see it directly.

Thanks for everything!

If you are using the Remote Sources feature, this will affect all NDI application on the same computer including vMix. For Discovery Server support, you would have to make sure that vMix is using NDI v4 libraries (I'm not sure what version they are on).

Be aware that making changes in NDI Access Manager, requires that any running NDI applciations have to be quit and restarted for them to see the new configuration.
    Kane Peterson
    Solutions Architect
    NewTek, Inc.

Thanks Kane. Yes. It was as simple as me restarting Vmix. NDI Working now.

Kane, maybe you can help with my last step... I can't get NDI to work off of the LiveU Linux machine in my AWS VPC and talk to my Windows Machines. I can ping the LiveU box by IP & by hostname from a Win machine. All Firewalls are off and in the same subnet.
    The LiveU linux machine's hostname is: ip-10-0-0-21
    IP: 10.0.0.21
    I have NDI turned on the LiveU box.

In NDI Access Manager Remote Sources I have the Device IP Address configured. I have the Local Device Name setup as the hostname. Not sure what I need to put in for Local Device Channel (if anything). But I have tried everything. I have tried renaming the channel. I looked at my local LiveU server settings to see if it would give me a hint (because that works). But not getting this to work in AWS.

I don't know how familiar you are with LiveU boxes. And on top of that in AWS environments. But any help you can give me at this point would be great. Windows to Windows is great. Linux to Windows not working.

Quote Originally Posted by jvphobic View Post
    Kane, maybe you can help with my last step... I can't get NDI to work off of the LiveU Linux machine in my AWS VPC and talk to my Windows Machines. I can ping the LiveU box by IP & by hostname from a Win machine. All Firewalls are off and in the same subnet.
    The LiveU linux machine's hostname is: ip-10-0-0-21
    IP: 10.0.0.21
    I have NDI turned on the LiveU box.

In NDI Access Manager Remote Sources I have the Device IP Address configured. I have the Local Device Name setup as the hostname. Not sure what I need to put in for Local Device Channel (if anything). But I have tried everything. I have tried renaming the channel. I looked at my local LiveU server settings to see if it would give me a hint (because that works). But not getting this to work in AWS.

I don't know how familiar you are with LiveU boxes. And on top of that in AWS environments. But any help you can give me at this point would be great. Windows to Windows is great. Linux to Windows not working.
    avahi-utils ???

I am not really a linux guy. But that util might work from what I have read about it?

What is the IP of the LiveU and what is the IP of your other systems? Are they all in the 10.x.x.x network?
    Kane Peterson
    Solutions Architect
    NewTek, Inc.

Both are on the same IP Scheme and subnet, as well as the same security group.
    LiveU linux box: 10.0.0.21 (hostname: ip-10-0-0-21)
    Windows: 10.0.0.44

I think it might have something to do with the hostname & channel name. But not sure honestly.

I can bypass the NDI from the LiveU box and push it to a Windows Machine with MPEG-TS... and THEN distribute via NDI. But I would like to eliminate the middle man if possible.

We got it working. LiveU did an update on the server. Once I know more, I will share. But just figured I would let everyone know. And thank you.

Looks like they updated a library file.

"We replaced the libndi.so file (in /usr/lib/)."

Not sure what that did, but it fixed it. Happy Camper.

Hi Guys! I am struggling to get NDI between two AWS server instances. NDI Access Manager included in the NDI tools just crashes when I select New in the remote sources panel. Any ideas? I just need simple vMix to vMix NDI between the two servers. Thanks for any help/information.

Still no luck with this! Any one have a clue? NDI Access manager crashes when trying to add IP for remote sources.

Hi,

If you are trying to connect 2 AWS instances, check the "security groups" attached to both instances to be sure the traffic is allowed. If the NDI Access Manager is properly set up, this can be the issue.

Good luck

Toni