Thread: Remote control of Prompter?

Remote control of Prompter?

Question for minds greater than mine:

Is it possible to have a person calling in via our Talkshow control the automation prompter in the TC?

Just for clarity, I presume you're asking about the Teleprompter feature associated with LiveStory? If so, I don't think there's any simple native support for remote control. Some exotic solutions using NDI KVM over the internet might be possible, or a custom html-based controller ... but I read a report recently of someone using a USB-over-the net solution for another TC purpose. Something like that might be better, used with a Shuttle controller.
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator
    ("You've got to ask yourself one question ... 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, spammer?")

I've had excellent experience with Digi USB over IP solutions for a presentation clicker and touch screen.

They are a bit expensive but rock solid. You need only get the two port unit for a shuttle express.

https://www.digi.com/resources/stand...es/usb-over-ip

Fritz Golman
    Museum of Broadcast Communications

Quote Originally Posted by SBowie View Post
    Just for clarity, I presume you're asking about the Teleprompter feature associated with LiveStory? If so, I don't think there's any simple native support for remote control. Some exotic solutions using NDI KVM over the internet might be possible, or a custom html-based controller ... but I read a report recently of someone using a USB-over-the net solution for another TC purpose. Something like that might be better, used with a Shuttle controller.
    Yes, I am asking about the Live Story creator control. While I could not get the LS automatic functions to work reliably ("fuzzy logic" doesn't work, fellas. Specific words for specific functions are required. That, or a list of all of the words that it will recognize...), the teleprompter function was great. I just sent that back down the line on the VS4000 to the talent. We are now doing almost entirely remote-hosted productions (and remote-guests), and allowing the host to control their own prompter speed would be great. I just did a 90-minute show on Saturday with 16 skype guests (including Sharon Osborne!), 25 fontbars, 50+ graphic elements, and 10 roll-ins. I was the director, td, audio op, gpx op, VS4000 op, and prompter. Keeping that prompter up was a tenuous proposition at best.

Quote Originally Posted by fgolman View Post
    I've had excellent experience with Digi USB over IP solutions for a presentation clicker and touch screen. They are a bit expensive but rock solid. You need only get the two port unit for a shuttle express.
    https://www.digi.com/resources/stand...es/usb-over-ip
    Thanks Fritz - that appears to have some real promise doing what I want to do.

I have no idea what pricing is, and don't want to exactly endorse anything - but that said we recently had a report of this working well with TC control surfaces: https://www.flexihub.com/
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator
    ("You've got to ask yourself one question ... 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, spammer?")

with a Shuttle controller.
    is this in reference to the ShuttlePro v2 a supported input device on a tricaster?

I've forgotten the precise details, but it sounds about right; I believe it's discussed in the manual.
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator

Ok, I was searching the PDF for Shuttle Pro and such. I thought the device required an install the triggered the software warnings. I had wanted to use mine as a DDR controller at one point and would love to do so if possible!

I think the driver has been whitelisted specifically for this purpose.
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator

I will try it again, I just read through the section for live story. It does reference the smaller express model but that uses the same software to my understanding crossing my fingers that the DDR will utilize the jog wheel etc.

I think the driver has been whitelisted specifically for this purpose.
    Works! NICE. After installing the software I can confirm no nag screen and the software persists when launching the TC software. I was able to program a couple of the keys to press key strokes and I was able to assign those key strokes to macros. There was no response in the software automagically on the tricaster side but I was only trying to interact with the DDRs which is not the intent originally I think. But, since i can assign the key strokes to macros I should be able to do everything I had wanted to try previous.

Thanks for triggering that Steve!
    Last edited by stp_productions; 04-29-2020 at 11:09 AM.

I have no idea what pricing is, and don't want to exactly endorse anything - but that said we recently had a report of this working well with TC control surfaces: https://www.flexihub.com/
    Wow - that is cool! Thanks for sharing.