Page 7 of 15 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Time to retire Lightwave 3D from my toolkit.

Quote Originally Posted by prometheus View Post
    True perhaps.

for me, I get frustrated with simple things like having to disconnect a node and place a node in between the former, then plug the first node to the middle node, then the middle node to the output node, in a certain other software, I simply just drag the node on top of the connection..Done, it reroutes itself

As well as many other functional node stuff, the only complaint perhaps is the difference in noise nodes, where in Lightwave (except for the new wonky procedural node) I can simply invert a fractal with a checkbox, which I canīt in the other software, I need node wrangler to adapt to that.

But basicly..this approach of not being able to connect a new node inbetween two nodes is sort of killing me in lightwave.
    So while you do not get away from nodal approach, some software simply makes it easier, as well as also connecting images up automaticly when adding to a color channel, which lightwave canīt, unless you start with a standard material and convert it..but then it will also only convert with a color layer image node, not the image node.

And keymapping for moving around is better in my other software, and also...it doesnīt stop itīs much more zoomable than lightwaves ..which stops at a too early stage.
    This was with my favourit other software, then you got the master node software know for itīs fantastic vfx cababilitis, it is also much better at dealing with nodes...once you learn the workflow that is.
    Oh yeah there are lots of stuff like that. And you'd think that would be easy to implement (okay maybe not the "like having to disconnect a node and place a node in between the former, then plug the first node to the middle node, then the middle node to the output node, in a certain other software, I simply just drag the node on top of the connection..Done, it reroutes itself" - that could be tricky maybe ) But what about a user definable "favorites" in the node editor? Or some kind of on/off switch to see/or not see certain effects of a node? That stuff would seem simple enough. I guess it depends on how hard coded everything is. Ken Nign told us last week that doing the "Tidy Nodes" in 2019 was quite the undertaking and that when a request came in to just Tidy the nodes that were SELECTED that was whole nother matter and something he hadn't planned for. So that must tell us something about the node editor in general.
    Tim Parsons
    Technical Designer
    Sauder Woodworking Co.

http://www.sauder.com

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Parsons View Post
    Oh yeah there are lots of stuff like that. And you'd think that would be easy to implement (okay maybe not the "like having to disconnect a node and place a node in between the former, then plug the first node to the middle node, then the middle node to the output node, in a certain other software, I simply just drag the node on top of the connection..Done, it reroutes itself" - that could be tricky maybe ) But what about a user definable "favorites" in the node editor? Or some kind of on/off switch to see/or not see certain effects of a node? That stuff would seem simple enough. I guess it depends on how hard coded everything is. Ken Nign told us last week that doing the "Tidy Nodes" in 2019 was quite the undertaking and that when a request came in to just Tidy the nodes that were SELECTED that was whole nother matter and something he hadn't planned for. So that must tell us something about the node editor in general.
    itīs just that they seem to not going the right way about it all, not sure what it is..I do not want to attack their efforts really or skills as coders..could be limited resources or lack of inspiration or even feedback getting through to them from users.

some things they do fix thogh upon request, but itīs something else.

they tried to implement this multitexture node, so we should have to constantly search and add various procedurals, the problem is that once the node is connected, it has no invert function..which all other procedurals have built in..and that is a function I use a lot when tweaking clouds etc and other effects...so itīs no fun to use it when I constantly have to first add invert node, that is one thing you may only do once per sesion, but disconnecting and reroute each time I need to test invert vs no invert, they could implement a mute function..which is also available in my other fav program as well as the big one at nodes.

That is probably not the worst part of this new multiprocedural node, to access itīs true tweaking settings, you have to click up another window module within that node, and if you work a lot with some windows, and switch..and want to go bakck, even if you click on that tweakin button inside of the node..it will not pop up as the top window, it may be hidden between other windows, so yo have to make sure to either place all windows properly so you always can see this tweak panel, or close them all and open up again..they shouldnīt have made this node this poorly executed, it would have been super had it just worked with the tweaking settings just like the other procedurals and with an invert option...the whole workflow of these UI elements becomes a horrible mess to work with.

You are probably just better off adding all the procedural texture nodes you have to a surface in node editor, and simply choose which one you want to feed in to the final output node, when you need it..then you will overcome the issues the multiprocedural node introduces.

Quote Originally Posted by gar26lw View Post
    prolly nda
    I find the same thing that erikals says.
    The most negative people who hang out in forums have never posted their work.

ALL my work is NDA but I post freelance stuff on my website still, when I can.

When you have people on the Internet, telling you that software X isn't any good, use software Y... But don't show you why, THEN you should just ignore them. But yes, it's the most frustrating thing about the Internet unfortunately.
    LairdSquared | 3D Design & Animation

Desk Work:
    HP Z840, Dual Xeon E5-2690 v2, 32GB RAM, Quadro K5000 4GB
    Desk Home:
    HP Z620, Dual Xeon E5-2680, 80GB RAM, Geforce 1050 Ti 4GB

Quote Originally Posted by lardbros View Post
    Then the question begs to be asked: Have you ever seen any actual "work" by erikals. As in something that constitutes an artwork, wip or finished piece?
    Last edited by Wickedpup; 05-03-2020 at 02:07 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Wickedpup View Post
    Then the question begs to be asked: Have you ever seen any actual "work" by erikals. As in something that constitutes an artwork, wip or finished piece?
    While I can't be certain, I think it is a fair bet that there is some of his work in amongst all of these YouTube videos:

https://www.youtube.com/user/erikals...ew=0&flow=grid

The link can be found at the the foot of all his forum posts
    Kevin F Stubbs

Remember...one size does NOT fit all

Hard to filter out amongst all the meshes/objects and whatnot created and/or imported for purely demonstrational purposes, don't you think?
    One could expect that after 17 years and a gazillion posts it should be easier to showcase your work. He opened that door.... and I am simply saying put up or shut up.
    Last edited by Wickedpup; 05-03-2020 at 04:28 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by lardbros View Post

ALL my work is NDA but I post freelance stuff on my website still, when I can.

When you have people on the Internet, telling you that software X isn't any good, use software Y... But don't show you why, THEN you should just ignore them. But yes, it's the most frustrating thing about the Internet unfortunately.
    These Non-NDA work (LW 2015 - octane) may be enough for me to write some comments about LW ? If it does not enough, i can send you insanely complex petroleum refinery renders too...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	15.png 
Views:	48 
Size:	1.64 MB 
ID:	147617   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	14.JPG 
Views:	43 
Size:	119.9 KB 
ID:	147616   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	13.JPG 
Views:	45 
Size:	220.5 KB 
ID:	147615   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	12.JPG 
Views:	45 
Size:	233.3 KB 
ID:	147614   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	11.JPG 
Views:	40 
Size:	221.3 KB 
ID:	147613  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	16.png 
Views:	38 
Size:	2.50 MB 
ID:	147618   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	17.JPG 
Views:	33 
Size:	166.4 KB 
ID:	147619   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	18.JPG 
Views:	36 
Size:	130.8 KB 
ID:	147620  

Quote Originally Posted by tyrot View Post
    These Non-NDA work (LW 2015 - octane) may be enough for me to write some comments about LW ? If it does not enough, i can send you insanely complex petroleum refinery renders too...
    I we say "no" could we see those renders, then? :-)
    Salut!,
    Allabulle.

.... and I am simply saying put up or shut up.
    That's reasonable in general but it seems like the completely wrong person to say that to.
    LW4, 7.5D, 2015, 2018, 2019, 2020 running portably on a USB drive on an Amiga 2500 running Wine.

LW Watcher
    Gosh Steve has some unofficial would-be censors lining up.

Personally, I think if it's about LW and you use LW your view is as valid as a total newbie as it is as some LW whizz or LW incompetent and all shades between.

Unless I missed the memo about this becoming a private members club..

Quote Originally Posted by pauland View Post
    Gosh Steve has some unofficial would-be censors lining up.

Personally, I think if it's about LW and you use LW your view is as valid as a total newbie as it is as some LW whizz or LW incompetent and all shades between.

Unless I missed the memo about this becoming a private members club..
    agreed..
    you have to take his technical skills in consideration as just as valid..

Quote Originally Posted by raymondtrace View Post
    That's reasonable in general but it seems like the completely wrong person to say that to.
    This isn't the first time someone has raised that question, and I have never seen anything by him that falls into the "work" category.

Quote Originally Posted by pauland View Post
    It's entirely possible that someone who doesn't own and has never used LW may yet make the most valuable contribution ever made here*. On the other hand, if someone wants to weight their evaluation of someone's remarks based on their experience level, it doesn't seem unreasonable to allow them to do so. To each his own, perhaps?

* I always think of this scenario: I'm about to step up to the dais to deliver a formal speech when a small, unkempt child approaches and says "Excuse me sir, but your fly is down". It's very likely that he is completely ignorant of my subject, but what kind of fool would I be to ignore him?
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator
    ("You've got to ask yourself one question ... 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, spammer?")

This isn't the first time someone has raised that question, and I have never seen anything by him that falls into the "work" category.
    double doodle

i dont care.
    he knows enough about lightwave to be a justified
    contributor to most of the discussions.

Page 7 of 15 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast