Page 12 of 15 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: Time to retire Lightwave 3D from my toolkit.

BTW we have installs of 3DS Max 2020 on our workstations - it comes with our PRODUCT DESIGN & MANUFACTURING COLLECTION - and yet we buy Lightwave3D.
    Tim Parsons
    Technical Designer
    Sauder Woodworking Co.

http://www.sauder.com

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Parsons View Post
    BTW we have installs of 3DS Max 2020 on our workstations - it comes with our PRODUCT DESIGN & MANUFACTURING COLLECTION - and yet we buy Lightwave3D.
    same. max, maya and blender

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Parsons View Post
    Worth quoting.

well, yeah. the irony is not lost

Quote Originally Posted by Nicolas Jordan View Post
    A few may but some of those are bound to come back because no software is perfect and they are seem to have their weaknesses. As I learned the grass is not always greener on the other side.
    I've been using Blender for 2 years now and all I can say that I will not return to LW that's for sure. Is everything in Blender better than in LW? Not all, but 90% are. And then you have the communication( new video every week) and the community, the tutorials etc. It's just another league all together, 3D is fun again!

In this community its like 5 people complaining and no art whatsoever is posted. At the blender forum there is seveal new art pieces every week that blow your mind, because they are so good. When did you last time see any LW art that blow your mind...10 years ago? Maybe all LWavers are over at facebook, showing there art, I don't know...

Quote Originally Posted by Ztreem View Post
    I've been using Blender for 2 years now and all I can say that I will not return to LW that's for sure. Is everything in Blender better than in LW? Not all, but 90% are. And then you have the communication( new video every week) and the community, the tutorials etc. It's just another league all together, 3D is fun again!

In this community its like 5 people complaining and no art whatsoever is posted. At the blender forum there is seveal new art pieces every week that blow your mind, because they are so good. When did you last time see any LW art that blow your mind...10 years ago? Maybe all LWavers are over at facebook, showing there art, I don't know...
    I think those responsible for marketing or deciding which forum is serving lightwave best has been approaching it the wrong way by letting this forum have no good maintainence or updates, they wenīt for facebook but refuses to see that there are many Lightwave users who doesnīt want to use facebook.

And for posting art, having a forum (excluding facebook) should be a place for the forums here, ivé complained a lot about that..no thumbs, a gallery that went down the drain etc..and how much better the blender forums are working for posting/uploading images, as well as a fully functional vimeo linking, vimeo hasnīt been working here for ages..
    posted images are larger than just a small thumb, the images is opening faster when clicked on, and so on.

And you may be right..many lw users post on facebook, but they will not see me posting anything there anyway..and probably will miss out other artists as well, I am really baffled by the approach to just have this forum becoming less attractive and useful.

https://forums.newtek.com/showthread...rums-part-1001

And the poll I did for a facebook vs this forum, which sort of may be too biased, since you would like to ask those on facebook the same..but the results in here can be counted anyway to a certain degree of value I think.

https://forums.newtek.com/showthread...ght=poll+forum

It seems they go with the marketing and sales option for facebook, while a forum with already signed up users.. is a showcase of customer care neglection, and that by itself is a factor of bad marketing..
    But this they do not seem to recognize to be as evident..apparently.

Is everything in Blender better than in LW? Not all, but 90% are.
    i wish i felt that way. i'd be using [B] all the time if that was so.
    but sure, some will do that. I do have it installed tho' and use it for this, for that.

Maybe all LWavers are over at facebook, showing there art, I don't know...
    that they are.  
    LW vidz   DPont donate   LightWiki   RHiggit   IKBooster   My vidz

Quote Originally Posted by erikals View Post

i wish i felt that way. i'd be using [B] all the time if that was so.
    but sure, some will do that. I do have it installed tho' and use it for this, for that.

that they are.  
    I agree with you..and I believe that will be a subjective answer as well, some people will feel just right at home and thinking..I love it this way better in B, and others will probably not adapt to that thinking..even if they used B a lot.
    I canīt say I am a frequent blender user, but from time to time..and there are still loads of things that bugs me..and things that just doesnīt make sense to me, while others thinks the opposite.

and...also to think about, adapting to another software may take years, especially if you were very skilled or have used the other software for a long long time,..or just a few years.
    Probably dependent on your feeling of..this feels good for me, and have that passion to learn as much as you can quickly..and find workflows working better than what you are used to.

For some I think that will not be so easy..and also having to discard what you have lernt in a certain software and re-learn, guess itīs mostly a personal adaptation thing, or motivation..and age defining as well, if you are 35-45..probably not that of a big deal, 50 and up..it starts to creep in to you as..do I have time and passion for that.

Quote Originally Posted by gar26lw View Post
    they create points that are stuck and cannot be edited without unwelding. You might be able to search for "the unweld bug"
    You might thing, well who cares but this is a real problem when working on complex uv's and geo. Kills workflow.

Generally to the best of my knowledge, 3rd party does not cause this so must be some issue in modeller tools.
    Huh... I've never run into that when building UVs in LW. I do tend to build in sets... selecting poly patches and adding them to my UV... so maybe that's why.

But I'm not sure that constitutes "broken". UVs work, with occasional issues.

A simple Google search shows that's pretty much status quo across 3d packages (UV issues in the native application), so it's not unusual.

It's not hard to understand why a third party application developed for a specific purpose would be better at that than an application developed for multiple tasks.

Quote Originally Posted by prometheus View Post
    and...also to think about, adapting to another software may take years, especially if you were very skilled or have used the other software for a long long time,..or just a few years.
    Probably dependent on your feeling of..this feels good for me, and have that passion to learn as much as you can quickly..and find workflows working better than what you are used to.

For some I think that will not be so easy..and also having to discard what you have lernt in a certain software and re-learn, guess itīs mostly a personal adaptation thing, or motivation..and age defining as well, if you are 35-45..probably not that of a big deal, 50 and up..it starts to creep in to you as..do I have time and passion for that.
    There is always a threshold when you switch to a new application, but the development speed at Newtek and their effort to involve and communicate with the users was motivation enough for me to get over that learning threshold. It took me maybe 6 month of working in Blender daily before it felt like I could work in it without hickups. Then maybe 6 month more until I was completly in to it and started to think in Blender terms how to solve different problems. Now I'm more fluent in Blender than in LW that I used for more then 20 years. All things I've learned over the years in 3D is not wasted, I make use of all my knowledge from my LW years in Blender. When I look back I realise that I should not have stayed as long as I did in LW and should have taking the time to get over the threshold way earlier instead of staying in the comfort zone and hope for change and unification.

Quote Originally Posted by prometheus View Post
    I think those responsible for marketing or deciding which forum is serving lightwave best has been approaching it the wrong way by letting this forum have no good maintainence or updates, they wenīt for facebook but refuses to see that there are many Lightwave users who doesnīt want to use facebook...
    There does not appear to be any NT marketing effort on Facebook. Facebook is certainly not distracting NT from this forum.

However, the fact remains that Facebook does offer a much larger audience and more viral marketing opportunity. Facebook is the 4th most popular site on the intertubes. https://www.alexa.com/topsites

To demonstrate the stark difference between this forum and Facebook... only this forum would foster a 12 page forum discussion about retiring this tool for a completely silly reason (sliders). Facebook content in the LW groups is much more optimistic and productive. https://www.facebook.com/groups/lightwiki/

Facebook is not the privacy monster that some perceive if you use it wisely. Create a bogus Facebook account for yourself. Don't connect friends. Limit the account only to Facebook groups. Use an adblocker, script blocker, or tweak to your hosts file to deny access to facebook.net (the tracker that follows you most everywhere even if you are not a registered user of Facebook).
    LW4, 7.5D, 2015, 2018, 2019, 2020 running portably on a USB drive on an Amiga 2500 running Wine.

Quote Originally Posted by raymondtrace View Post
    There does not appear to be any NT marketing effort on Facebook. Facebook is certainly not distracting NT from this forum.

However, the fact remains that Facebook does offer a much larger audience and more viral marketing opportunity. Facebook is the 4th most popular site on the intertubes. https://www.alexa.com/topsites

To demonstrate the stark difference between this forum and Facebook... only this forum would foster a 12 page forum discussion about retiring this tool for a completely silly reason (sliders). Facebook content in the LW groups is much more optimistic and productive. https://www.facebook.com/groups/lightwiki/

Facebook is not the privacy monster that some perceive if you use it wisely. Create a bogus Facebook account for yourself. Don't connect friends. Limit the account only to Facebook groups. Use an adblocker, script blocker, or tweak to your hosts file to deny access to facebook.net (the tracker that follows you most everywhere even if you are not a registered user of Facebook).
    We sure have different views on this,

Facebook according to me, isnīt customer care, this forum is....thatīs the difference.
    As for 12 page forum about retiring, that really says nothing about the initial premise and the function of these forum, it has little to do with the forum itself, more about the development pace of lightwave..and the amount of displaced customers perhaps.

If newtek were engaged more on these forums and approched it more with customer care and such, I think we perhaps could have seen less of those 12 page stories(though they would need to adress development as well of course)...or did we really have this much of 12 page stories for retirement and similar during the lw 8-10 cycles?

Quote Originally Posted by RPSchmidt View Post
    Huh... I've never run into that when building UVs in LW. I do tend to build in sets... selecting poly patches and adding them to my UV... so maybe that's why.

But I'm not sure that constitutes "broken". UVs work, with occasional issues.

A simple Google search shows that's pretty much status quo across 3d packages (UV issues in the native application), so it's not unusual.

It's not hard to understand why a third party application developed for a specific purpose would be better at that than an application developed for multiple tasks.
    definitely broken. no issues in any other 3d content creation app. modo had a few years back but not see any for a while.

Legato Sliders for LW2020 .. LW2015
    (couldn't resist)

After buying LW2020 and experimenting with real projects, I needed to write an update.

Features
    • Added a World Size data field and presets. This determines the default range for Position channels.
    • Expanded the channel group visibility selection in Setup with: Item/Morph/MC/Global/Volumetrics/MotionMixer channels.
    • Added keyboard shortcuts to emulate '+' and '-', to Add/Remove an item.
    • [FIX]MorphGroup channels were unavailable in LW2020.
    • [FIX]Click on channel 'R' buttons or sliders didn't update the 'E' and 'K' feedback.
    • [FIX]Changing channel group visibility now updates the dialog immediately.
    • [FIX]Error message when navigating to another frame, after Sliders dialog had been closed.

Installation and Setup
    • step 1: install plugin Click image for larger version. 

Name:	step1.png 
Views:	10 
Size:	296.5 KB 
ID:	147806
    • step 2: choose world size Click image for larger version. 

Name:	step2.png 
Views:	14 
Size:	288.5 KB 
ID:	147810
    • step 3: enter setup mode Click image for larger version. 

Name:	step3.png 
Views:	13 
Size:	289.6 KB 
ID:	147809
    • step 4: check visibility Click image for larger version. 

Name:	step4.png 
Views:	12 
Size:	275.9 KB 
ID:	147811
    • step 5: minimize dialog width Click image for larger version. 

Name:	step5.png 
Views:	13 
Size:	297.4 KB 
ID:	147812

Download Legato Sliders v0.6 here: LegatoSliders_v06.zip

Comments are welcome.
    Download my free Legato plugin for CA in LightWave
    Pose- and Motion Libraries, tools to structure your story/poses/performances, X-sheet I/O, audio analysis, hotspot item selection, ...

Quote Originally Posted by gar26lw View Post
    definitely broken. no issues in any other 3d content creation app. modo had a few years back but not see any for a while.
    Modo: https://community.foundry.com/discus...se-than-before

Modo: https://community.foundry.com/discus...v-tool-problem

Blender 2.8: https://developer.blender.org/T58114

Max: https://www.reddit.com/r/3dsmax/comm..._really_buggy/

Broken, as in, no longer in working order, doesn't describe any of the issues above, no more than it describes UV issues in Lightwave.

Broken would indicate that you were incapable of creating a UV in Lightwave or applying a texture using a UV. Clearly, that is not true.

Page 12 of 15 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast